The Student Room Group

Which degree is more respected - geography or psychology?

In general. I don't know what job I want yet and love both subjects.
At the end of the day you get a piece of paper that says you can colour between the lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Do a joint honours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Regardless of which degree you pursue, because both are social studies disciplines, if you hope to be employed in something related to what you studied in uni (that's six years of uni minimum). There are no jobs for geography. I don't recommend psychology either. If you can't get a masters degree in psychology, you're doomed. There are tons of psychology grads who get out of uni with no jobs and failed to get into a masters program since its just so competitive. Study something that gives you a particular skill.
Reply 4
Can you explain why 6 years?

There are plenty of jobs for geography graduates.

There are also plenty of jobs that psychology can be very useful.

Agree, a skill is always a benefit, but I disagree wih your comment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
And Geography can be either a BA or BSC, and is not a social studies course. How social are Rock Formations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hiya,
I've applied to uni this year for Geography BSC with a very specific career path in mind (teaching), and personally I was torn between the two subjects as well. As mentioned above, there are many jobs you could get with both degrees, as both offer transferable skills which are valued in the workplace.
I'd say weigh the pros and cons of each subject, as you'll be stuck doing whichever one for a couple years.

Good luck :smile:
geography
Original post by bob0079
Can you explain why 6 years?

There are plenty of jobs for geography graduates.

There are also plenty of jobs that psychology can be very useful.

Agree, a skill is always a benefit, but I disagree wih your comment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. I'm sick of hearing "what job are you gonna get with a geography degree though?".

For starters, going to university shouldn't just be about getting a job at the end of it. If you, like me, are really enjoying geography then why shouldn't you study it further? Maybe we don't know exactly what we want to do yet, but life's too short to be just focusing on working!

Examples of jobs you could pursue after a completed degree in geography;
- Environmental Health Worker
- Conservationist
- Surveyor
- Cartographer
- Town/City planner
- Teacher!!!!!!
- GIS Officer
- Climatologist
- Meteorologist
- Pollutant Analysts
- Geomorphologist
- Landscape Architect
Reply 9
I have worked in the business finance sector and have visited and got to know how hundreds of businesses donwhat they do. There were very few that I visited that at some point in there business operations did not use, or could have benefitted from using, high level geographical knowledge.
Original post by MilenaW
In general. I don't know what job I want yet and love both subjects.

Which degree do you want to do? The 'respected' thing is TSR nonsense.
None
Both are equally respected but some idiots who think that geography is simply colouring in and knowing capital cities will see geography as bad but good people will greatly respect geography.

It doesn't matter which degree you do, even if you end up wanting a geography job but have done a psychology degree, people will often accept you anyway, it's having the degree that counts and if not you could do a geography masters.

My mums work literally has people from Cambridge and people who did law and people from Manchester met and people who did some really random courses. My mum has a good paid job.

Do whichever you think you will do better in. At the end of the day a 2:1 in psychology will always be better than a 2:2 in geography
I would do psychology
It is also available in a lot more universities
There are more pathways to follow in the future
Geography
Seriously shut up if you don't know **** about geography degrees. Geography is about dealing with real world issues - climate change, water scarcity, pollution, urbanisation, migration etc. People with a Geography degree go on to become members of the UN or governmental organisations to tackle these issues for the greater good of everybody. Yes we do look at maps, but we look at the relationships between countries in terms of politics (geopolitics) and we look at how maps have been drawn to portray the world incorrectly over time. I've maybe picked up a colouring pencil once or twice throughout the entirety of my study.
Reply 16
Original post by Babyoleg
Both are equally respected but some idiots who think that geography is simply colouring in and knowing capital cities will see geography as bad but good people will greatly respect geography.

It doesn't matter which degree you do, even if you end up wanting a geography job but have done a psychology degree, people will often accept you anyway, it's having the degree that counts and if not you could do a geography masters.

My mums work literally has people from Cambridge and people who did law and people from Manchester met and people who did some really random courses. My mum has a good paid job.

Do whichever you think you will do better in. At the end of the day a 2:1 in psychology will always be better than a 2:2 in geography

what does your mum do
How "respected" your degree is, isn't how it works in the real world.

You need to do a BPS accredited psychology degree if you want to become a professional (e.g. clinical/forensic/etc) psychologist. Otherwise for any other job it'll be seen the same as geography would.

A geography degree would probably be a more suitable background if you wanted to work in an environmental role using GIS software etc. Otherwise it'll be seen the same as a psychology degree.

Do whatever you find more interesting as that will usually translate to a better degree class and as noted, it won't make a difference which you do outside of specific job roles for each, so you may as well enjoy the process of your studies before becoming crushed by the machine of capitalism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending