The Student Room Group

royal college of music vs. royal academy of music

hey everyone,

I'm thinking of applying to either the royal college or royal academy of music (or indeed both) hopefully to study composition for the 2018 course (im yr 12)

basically, what is everybody opinion on the RCM and RAM, has anyone been to either or them and can anybody pin point bigger differences (if there are any) between them. I'm really unsure about which one to look towards.

thank you :smile: at the moment my favourite is RCM, i don't know why but i feel it would suit my needs as a university better.

thank you very much! :smile:
Hey,

I have recently been offered a place at RAM and RCM to study undergraduate voice this year. I have decided to take the place at RAM because I preferred the atmosphere and it being more academic, but it is really up to you! Go to some open days this year because it really helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by gertygreengage
hey everyone,

I'm thinking of applying to either the royal college or royal academy of music (or indeed both) hopefully to study composition for the 2018 course (im yr 12)

basically, what is everybody opinion on the RCM and RAM, has anyone been to either or them and can anybody pin point bigger differences (if there are any) between them. I'm really unsure about which one to look towards.

thank you :smile: at the moment my favourite is RCM, i don't know why but i feel it would suit my needs as a university better.

thank you very much! :smile:

My girlfriend studies Piano at Academy. She really loves it but at times gets very stressed. Any specific questions? I could pass them on.
I've often wondered about the music schools, and why there are a number of "Royal" schools. There's also the Royal Northern College of Music, and the Royal Scottish Conservatoire. In the dance world there is the Royal Ballet School. It's the best, which is why it has the Royal title and has, like the Royal Ballet company had this title since the early 1950's. How are you supposed to know which if any is the elite one if more than one have that in their name?
Reply 4
Original post by markova21
I've often wondered about the music schools, and why there are a number of "Royal" schools. There's also the Royal Northern College of Music, and the Royal Scottish Conservatoire. In the dance world there is the Royal Ballet School. It's the best, which is why it has the Royal title and has, like the Royal Ballet company had this title since the early 1950's. How are you supposed to know which if any is the elite one if more than one have that in their name?

Research who your specific instrumental teacher would be (or ballet teacher)? The 'Royal' may suggest great but only certain departments are great. My Horn teacher says go for the teacher, not the institution. Many institutions rely on their reputation but are going downhill...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending