The Student Room Group

Physics question

A uniform meter ruler of mass 80g is balanced on 2 pivots placed at 10 and 65 cm from the left hand side. A mass of 100g is placed on the ruler. Find:
a) the upward force from each pivot when the mass is placed i) at the left hand end of the ruler and ii) at 50cm from the left hand side.
b) where the mass must be placed so that the upward force from the left hand pivot is 0.

I get: a) i) F1=1.37 and F2=0.4, ii) F1=1.28 and F2=0.49, b) 77cm from the left hand side.
The wjec revision guide gives different answers, howeve I think I'm right.

Thanks for any help.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by Henry Palasciano
A uniform meter ruler of mass 80g is balanced on 2 pivots placed at 10 and 65 cm from the left hand side. A mass of 100g is placed on the ruler. Find:
a) the upward force from each pivot when the mass is placed i) at the left hand end of the ruler and ii) at 50cm from the left hand side.
b) where the mass must be placed so that the upward force from the left hand pivot is 0.

I get: a) i) F1=1.37 and F2=0.4, ii) F1=1.28 and F2=0.49, b) 77cm from the left hand side.
The wjec revision guide gives different answers, howeve I think I'm right.

Thanks for any help.

Yes, I think you are right (for all your answers). However, your reaction forces for aii) are the wrong way round.

Quick Reply

Latest