The Student Room Group

Completing a masters dissertation by June

------
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by uxa595

Yes, perfectly possible. Not least, you need to decide if the internship is worth more to you than the degree - you've got a lot of 'requires', 'need', 'expected' assumptions in there and the only one of them that is likely to be a real absolute is the dissertation needing to be completed to be awarded the degree.
Reply 2
Original post by uxa595
Hi all,

I've been offered a place on a 12 month entrepreneurship masters which requires a 20000 word research dissertation.
The issue is that I need to undertake a summer internship from June to August next summer ... when I'm expected to complete the dissertation.

Do you guys think it's reasonably achievable to complete the dissertation by June as long as I work on it throughout the year?
I never did a dissertation at UG level and don't understand how the project supervisor stuff works. Would I have to maybe even meet my supervisor during the June - August months?

The masters has no exams so I won't have to prepare for them during spring months and I'm quite proficient at writing essays.
Totally possible, I did my dissertation in two weeks. And it's not that hard - a dissertation is just a really big assignment.
Reply 3
-------
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by uxa595
I want to move into investment banking and in order to get the role - I will most likely have to undertake an internship to get a full-time role. As a masters student, this would be my last shot to apply to these internships and so I really don't want to miss the chance.

As a side question - Is it usually early or late September when we are expected to do the oral exam? As it may overlap with internship commitments. My university is being overly vague with the details.

That's because they don't know! They won't schedule those oral exams until June next year! Do they even do oral exams for everyone or is it just a viva for those in marginal positions or for benchmarking?
Original post by uxa595
Just as a quick follow-up, what would your advice be if I want to try and complete an internship in July-Sep?
Do you think I should aim to do the dissertation throughout the academic year and submit it by July - and does that sounds plausible?

Given I will have almost 0 free time and will probably book one day off for the oral exam, are there any potential pitfalls I'm not seeing? such as a need to stay in contact with the project supervisor? (shouldn't be needed if I able submit pre-internship)

My university seem adamant that I should not aim to do this but the whole reason I'm doing this masters is for career reasons. If it requires me working a lot in the run-up to the internship, I don't mind.

I'm in a similar situation but I am a Bachelor's student, so take that into account.

I have to hand in the completed thesis by the first week of July and I received a very interesting internship offer for the summer. So what I have done is I accepted it and I will start right from the second week of July (after I submitted the thesis), take some days off to go back for my thesis defence, and then continue working. It is definitely possible to do, and I am not aware of anything that requires you to be at your university after you hand in your thesis, but you may want to check that with your university.
Original post by uxa595

You have to start the course and see how it goes. Only you know how hard you can work and how well you can work and it will only be evident if you can do it if you try. You can always bail on the internship if yo can't complete the dissertation for some reason.
Original post by uxa595
Hi all,

I've been offered a place on a 12 month entrepreneurship masters which requires a 20000 word research dissertation.
The issue is that I need to undertake a summer internship from June to August next summer ... when I'm expected to complete the dissertation.

Do you guys think it's reasonably achievable to complete the dissertation by June as long as I work on it throughout the year?
I never did a dissertation at UG level and don't understand how the project supervisor stuff works. Would I have to maybe even meet my supervisor during the June - August months?

The masters has no exams so I won't have to prepare for them during spring months and I'm quite proficient at writing essays.

It's potentially possible to get your masters dissertation done by June, however you'd likely have to do the bulk of it entirely independently- at my uni we didn't get assigned supervisors until May so it was only then I had someone to discuss my topic with and what methodologies I should use. Ordinarily i.e. where the dissertation is being done over the summer months, it depends on the supervisor as to whether you meet with them really, some are strict about regular meetings, mine didn't mind that I went home, we just emailed occasionally. You also need to check when submission opens, at my uni you could only submit an assignment from a couple of weeks before the deadline and it had to be done in person.
Skype name: Dissertation Manager Online

Website name: Dissertation Manager Online

How Online Dissertation Tuition can help you

A Dissertation Tutor can offer dissertation guidance, appraisal or editing service for most undergraduate and postgraduate subjects

A Dissertation Tutor can offer dissertation research help and write-up assistance for undergraduate, Masters and PhD projects

A Dissertation Tutor can offer advice, guidance and help

A Dissertation Tutor can provide valuable support and guidance that can enable students perform to the best of their abilities.

High quality tuition is delivered via Skype online tutorials

Skype screen share for documentsHelp with any previously failed dissertation, thesis, proposal, help with structure and formattingI offer academic coaching, tutoring for undergraduate and post graduate dissertations and theses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending