The Student Room Group

How can I pass my driving test?! STRESS

SO I'm about to take another test next thursday (my 4th one ffs) and I really need some hints and tips especially when it comes to nerves! In my last test I got 1 Major and 1 minor and throughout the tests I have taken I always get similar results. The major being in relation to drivers around me i.e not signalling when moving off from being parked, not stopping in plenty of time, overtaking cyclists

I usually have had tests in the morning, I have booked this one for 1:35. What can I do to pass? All my maneuvers are perfect too, how do I plan/ be more aware in driving.
Reply 1
Original post by Aloneinthedark
SO I'm about to take another test next thursday (my 4th one ffs) and I really need some hints and tips especially when it comes to nerves! In my last test I got 1 Major and 1 minor and throughout the tests I have taken I always get similar results. The major being in relation to drivers around me i.e not signalling when moving off from being parked, not stopping in plenty of time, overtaking cyclists

I usually have had tests in the morning, I have booked this one for 1:35. What can I do to pass? All my maneuvers are perfect too, how do I plan/ be more aware in driving.

Check your mirrors almost constantly ( but not constantly) to be aware of traffic around you. singnall before pulling out, leave a wide enough gap when overtaking a cyclist (when it is safe to do so) be aware of stopping distances and changing lights so you have plenty of time to stop

I'd really advice doing a practice test beforehand with your teacher to help settle your nerves :smile: Make sure you know the area well. As for things like signalling and cyclists, perhaps make step-by-step lists of what to do in each situation, so you don't forget to check your blindspot etc.
I have a feeling this one may work out for u
Just keep calm and drive:biggrin:

u can ask @RoyalSheepy
am a pro at these kind of stuff
Reply 4

try signalling when you move off, make sure you stop in plenty of time, and do not overtake a cyclist if you don't have the space for it.

in all seriousness though, just treat it like a normal lesson, and try to drive the way you usually would any other time. Good luck, and god bless :closedeyes:

Take it easy, don't get nervous. Observation is the most important part of the test, so make sure you're observing all around you EVERYWHERE! It's a pisstake I know, but it's what is required by the examiner in order to show them you are observant.

When signalling from stationary, remember MSM (Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre). Do not move until the area around you is clear, and remember to check your blindspots!

When stopping, remember take your time, and don't brake so suddenly. When braking always check your mirrors to see who's behind you, and how far behind other cars are.

Overtaking a cyclist is simple, just relax and when there is no counter-moving traffic, check around you (including your blindspot), drop down a gear, give a signal and then accelerate past as quickly as possible (leaving ample room for the cyclist) and merge back into your lane.
Original post by tamil fever
I have a feeling this one may work out for u
Just keep calm and drive:biggrin:

u can ask @RoyalSheepy
am a pro at these kind of stuff

Ahaha, this isn't predicting the past btw :wink:
Reply 7

Have an hour lesson before the test to make you feel confident
Pretend the test is just another lesson
Most importantly - do not rush anything! Check every blind spot, signal in plenty of time etc. there is no need to rush. I failed my first one for rushing around!
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Ahaha, this isn't predicting the past btw :wink:

:frown:
Original post by tamil fever
:frown:

:biggrin:
I can only suggest the same as above posters, I'm in the same boat but it's my second test next week. Fingers crossed for us both :smile:

work on the things you failed on with your instructor and you'll be fine :h:
Oh, thing that I can suggest is take some rescue remedy or some kalms to help with your nerves. I've been taking kalms tablets each day, it can be taken for 2-4 weeks so I started taking them 2 weeks before my test is due. It could be in my mind but I do feel less anxious than before.
Original post by MissDetermined
Oh, thing that I can suggest is take some rescue remedy or some kalms to help with your nerves. I've been taking kalms tablets each day, it can be taken for 2-4 weeks so I started taking them 2 weeks before my test is due. It could be in my mind but I do feel less anxious than before.

I considered taking these

All I can really suggest is practice where you keep going wrong with your instructor, and maybe do a mock test :redface:

Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cherryred90s
I considered taking these

My instructor recommended them to me as he had another learner and it seemed to help them. It seems to be working okay now because I'm thinking about my test but not feeling as anxious. Saying that though it'll probably all go out the window next week and I'll be on the verge of having a panic attack XD
Original post by MissDetermined
I can only suggest the same as above posters, I'm in the same boat but it's my second test next week. Fingers crossed for us both :smile:

be determined to pass

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending