The Student Room Group

I have a blood test tomorrow :(

Is anyone else absolutely terrified of blood tests? I've had 2 before and they weren't as bad as I thought they would be but i'm still really scared. I have numbing cream but if anyone has any other tips to help that would be great :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by callum623
Is anyone else absolutely terrified of blood tests? I've had 2 before and they weren't as bad as I thought they would be but i'm still really scared. I have numbing cream but if anyone has any other tips to help that would be great :smile:

I've got exams this month. Get over it.
Reply 2
Original post by RazorM
I've got exams this month. Get over it.

Rude...
as much as there not very nice, i always try and tell myself that there are worse things to go through than a blood test. 😊 it's over before you no it.
I have one on Wednesday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looool just suck it up its not that deep. They dont take long.
As you said it wont be that bad.

Also how old are you because i havent heard of anyone using numbing cream unless theyre under 12?
Reply 5

Needles/Injections scare me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by EmilyLouiseR
as much as there not very nice, i always try and tell myself that there are worse things to go through than a blood test. 😊 it's over before you no it.
I have one on Wednesday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. Good luck with yours :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Faloodeh
Looool just suck it up its not that deep. They dont take long.
As you said it wont be that bad.

Also how old are you because i havent heard of anyone using numbing cream unless theyre under 12?

Thanks, i'll make sure to suck it up

I'm 17, my doctor prescribed it to me
just try and keep calm when your're there OP :smile:
it'll be fine - the tip I got was don't forget to breathe & definitely look away from the needle (when I've been there's been pictures in the wards so look a them if there's one), don't move or anything when its in your arm(I have had a few blood tests now due to my thyroid so it still hurts but I've gotten used to it, *sigh* I also have one this month too) I'd suggest taking some bottled water or squash with you so you can have some after (or before if you're allowed) :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9

I am the same as you where it comes to blood tests!

I have to get them done every month now :frown:

What I find helps me is:

1. Don't look
2. Clench your fist
3. Do it on the same arm each time and you get used to it. I find getting it done on my right arm hurts more so I get it done on the left.
Reply 10
Original post by bizzy_penguin
just try and keep calm when your're there OP :smile:
it'll be fine - the tip I got was don't forget to breathe & definitely look away from the needle (when I've been there's been pictures in the wards so look a them if there's one), don't move or anything when its in your arm(I have had a few blood tests now due to my thyroid so it still hurts but I've gotten used to it, *sigh* I also have one this month too) I'd suggest taking some bottled water or squash with you so you can have some after (or before if you're allowed) :h:

Thanks for the advice. Breathing and looking away helped last time but I think I breathed a bit too loud as everyone was staring at me when I came out :redface:
Thanks for the advice. Breathing and looking away helped last time but I think I breathed a bit too loud as everyone was staring at me when I came out :redface:

oh dear - I'd say try to breathe in your normal rhythm but try not to hyperventilate :smile:
Reply 12
develop a fetish for sharp objects and you'll find yourself actually looking forward to the test :h:

I'm the same. I had 3 when I was about 14 and then didn't any more untilI was 18 and was terrified because I get faint after injections but never actually pass out which is worse because you feel yourself getting tunnel vision and underwater-style hearing and you feel physically sick but nothing actually happens. So I was scared to go for one this year and was feeling sick purely at the thought.

I was told that I have to lie down for them now because it will stop me from feeling faint (faintness happens when you don't get enough blood to your brain so lying down helps prevent this). I had mine done and was absolutely fine. I then had to go again the next week as they wanted to test for another deficiency which showed up in the first one, so I really wasn't worried the second time. I then have to go back in July for a follow up on that one (they gave me supplements so they want to see if it's making a difference) and I just need to remember that it's really nothing to worry about.

My tips would be as follows:

- Ask to lie down. My nurse last time said it was really common and she gets fully grown "tough guy" men doing it because they're scared too so don't worry.

- Look the other way but ask the nurse to tell you when it's going to begin. Take a deep breath in, and then slowly breathe out when it's going into your arm as this slightly numbs the pain.

- Honestly, I found that it hurt less without the numbing cream (I had it years ago but not for the recent ones) and it was over in less than 30 seconds.

- Take a stress ball and hold it in your other hand. Since you can't contract the arm that's being tested, use the other arm to relieve the pain. It works for me and I do it if I'm going to the dentist for a filling as well.

- Talk to the nurse. They'll likely ask about school and exams but it takes your mind off the pain a bit more as your brain is focussing on the conversation instead.

- Take a parent/friend in with you. My dad came in with me so it was a 3-way conversation which was nicer and relaxed me more.

- Ask for a glass of water afterwards and don't sit up too fast or you'll get lightheaded.
Reply 14
Original post by Gax
develop a fetish for sharp objects and you'll find yourself actually looking forward to the test :h:

Well thats an idea :wink: :laugh:
Reply 15
Original post by greghayes
I'm the same. I had 3 when I was about 14 and then didn't any more untilI was 18 and was terrified because I get faint after injections but never actually pass out which is worse because you feel yourself getting tunnel vision and underwater-style hearing and you feel physically sick but nothing actually happens. So I was scared to go for one this year and was feeling sick purely at the thought.

I was told that I have to lie down for them now because it will stop me from feeling faint (faintness happens when you don't get enough blood to your brain so lying down helps prevent this). I had mine done and was absolutely fine. I then had to go again the next week as they wanted to test for another deficiency which showed up in the first one, so I really wasn't worried the second time. I then have to go back in July for a follow up on that one (they gave me supplements so they want to see if it's making a difference) and I just need to remember that it's really nothing to worry about.

My tips would be as follows:

- Ask to lie down. My nurse last time said it was really common and she gets fully grown "tough guy" men doing it because they're scared too so don't worry.

- Look the other way but ask the nurse to tell you when it's going to begin. Take a deep breath in, and then slowly breathe out when it's going into your arm as this slightly numbs the pain.

- Honestly, I found that it hurt less without the numbing cream (I had it years ago but not for the recent ones) and it was over in less than 30 seconds.

- Take a stress ball and hold it in your other hand. Since you can't contract the arm that's being tested, use the other arm to relieve the pain. It works for me and I do it if I'm going to the dentist for a filling as well.

- Talk to the nurse. They'll likely ask about school and exams but it takes your mind off the pain a bit more as your brain is focussing on the conversation instead.

- Take a parent/friend in with you. My dad came in with me so it was a 3-way conversation which was nicer and relaxed me more.

- Ask for a glass of water afterwards and don't sit up too fast or you'll get lightheaded.

Thanks! Those tips are really useful :smile: And i'm sorry to hear you've had to have so many :frown:
Thanks! Those tips are really useful :smile: And i'm sorry to hear you've had to have so many :frown:

Ah it's fine really. I've had literally so many things wrong with me that I'm used to being tested and prodded by now... I've even had an operation on my back whilst I was awake playing mario kart on my DS :lol:
Reply 17
Original post by greghayes
Ah it's fine really. I've had literally so many things wrong with me that I'm used to being tested and prodded by now... I've even had an operation on my back whilst I was awake playing mario kart on my DS :lol:

Really :K: Did you have to stay awake? I think i'd be too scared :colondollar:

i've had over 30 blood tests when I was really ill in hospital. It's all psychological really. The thought of someone pricking you and taking your bloody. The thought itself is terrifying. Just reinforce to yourself that its not a big deal. I did concidentally as I became somewhat conditioned to blood tests as I was having at least 3 a day.
Really :K: Did you have to stay awake? I think i'd be too scared :colondollar:

Yeah it was really weird. I had a mole on my back that they caught in the final stage before it would have turned cancerous (skin cancer/melanoma) so they had to operate and remove it before it developed further. I had just turned 11 and didn't know when it was going to happen until that morning because my parents didn't want me freaking out beforehand. I was lay on the table on my front with my parents and two nurses while the doctor literally cut off the piece of skin on my back and sewed me back together again (my back is now slightly pulled together because of it as it was right between my shoulder blades in the centre of my back). They didn't put me to sleep but numbed me with cream then an injection but it still hurt! But the best part was that I was allowed to play on my DS whilst having it done to take my mind off it. We ended up playing Who Wants To Be A Millionnaire and the surgeon was playing whilst operating and she was really good! Not gonna lie, it was a pretty weird day...

Quick Reply

Latest