The Student Room Group

Edexcel English Literature 9TE0 - 15, 22 & 29 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussions]

I thought I'd make one of these as I'd not seen anyone do so yet :smile:

Exam dates:
Paper 1: Drama - 15th June
Paper 2: Prose - 22nd June
Paper 3: Poetry - 29th June

Note: This is for A2 English Literature, but some of the work could be used to improve AS work as well :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hiya! This is a nice exam thread - I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2017

If you see any other exam threads threads that aren't in the directory yet - let me know by either tagging me in, or linking it in the directory and I can add it in! You can also find discussions for your other exams there.

If any of your other exams aren't on there yet - feel free to make the exam thread for it yourself

Good luck in your exams
what texts are you doing? for drama i'm doing a streetcar named desire and othello, for prose i'm doing wuthering heights and a thousand splendid suns
Original post by electrahearts
what texts are you doing? for drama i'm doing a streetcar named desire and othello, for prose i'm doing wuthering heights and a thousand splendid suns

Drama for me is Streetcar and King Lear

Prose is Hard Times and Atonement :smile:

How have you been finding the course?
Woo thanks for making thread

I'm doing:

Drama: Dr Faustus, Othello
Prose: Frankenstein & The Handmaid's Tale (science & society)
Poetry: Wife of Bath (a personal fave tbh), Unseen & Anthology
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm doing

Drama: A Streetcar Named Desire & Measure for Measure
Prose: Frankenstein & The Handmaid's Tale
Poetry: The Wife of Bath as well as the unseen and anthology stuff
Original post by em1304
I'm doing
Prose: Frankenstein & The Handmaid's Tale
Poetry: The Wife of Bath as well as the unseen and anthology stuff

Same prose and poetry texts! How are you finding them?
Reply 7
Original post by auburnstar
Same prose and poetry texts! How are you finding them?

Wife of Bath is alright once I've got my head around the very convoluted way her character speaks. I find Frankenstein and The Handmaid's Tale quite easy to talk about in general, but they're not the best two books to have to compare, especially under the theme of science as Handmaid's hardly mentions much apart from showing what may be the consequences.

How about you?
Original post by em1304
Wife of Bath is alright once I've got my head around the very convoluted way her character speaks. I find Frankenstein and The Handmaid's Tale quite easy to talk about in general, but they're not the best two books to have to compare, especially under the theme of science as Handmaid's hardly mentions much apart from showing what may be the consequences.

How about you?

I find Wife of Bath pretty straightforward - especially questions about her attitude towards masculine roles/values and "anti-feminism" etc. I really like Chaucer's wit and how he shapes the character - she's certainly memorable that's for sure! The social values/different perspectives between now and then are also interesting because our preconceptions about Chaucer's time are often wrong.

I think you're right about the two texts - it's not the easiest 'broad theme' to compare. I always try and approach from an argument point but it's not as obvious a binary debate as say Othello or the Wife of Bath. One way I've got around the Handmaid problem is to argue that the regime itself is "scientific" and justified through science (eg falling birth rates).
Reply 9
I'm doing:
Drama- Streetcar Named Desire + Othello
Prose- The Little Stranger + The Picture of Dorian Gray (supernatural)
Poetry- John Donne + Modern/Unseen
Original post by SpencerrZ
I'm doing:
Drama- Streetcar Named Desire + Othello
Prose- The Little Stranger + The Picture of Dorian Gray (supernatural)
Poetry- John Donne + Modern/Unseen

Othello here too!
Drama: A streetcar named desire and Othello
Prose: Dracula and the picture of dorian gray
Poetry: Victorian poetry and Modern anthology compared to unseen
Othello here too!
Othello seems to be pretty popular! :smile:
Reply 14
Drama: Streetcar + Hamlet
Prose: Tess+ A Thousand Splendid Suns
Poetry: Romantics + Modern/Unseen
Original post by zwillis
Drama: Streetcar + Hamlet
Prose: Tess+ A Thousand Splendid Suns
Poetry: Romantics + Modern/Unseen

How are you finding Hamlet?
Reply 16
How are you finding Hamlet?

Enjoyed it so far this year although I prefer Othello (which I did for coursework). The critics in the anthology aren't the most useful, however, I feel and I find it quite hard to slip those particular arguments into my essay, and having to do a lot of extra critical reading as a result. Questions are likely to be based around themes or characters in the anthology. I would be delighted if anything about Gertrude or female characters came up
Reply 17
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
I thought I'd make one of these as I'd not seen anyone do so yet :smile:

Exam dates:
Paper 1: Drama - 15th June
Paper 2: Prose - 22nd June
Paper 3: Poetry - 29th June

Note: This is for A2 English Literature, but some of the work could be used to improve AS work as well :smile:

Hi, Thanks for this thread! Im slightly confused, 9ET0 is a whole a level,so why is it referred to as A2 award.
Reply 18
I'm doing;

Drama- King Lear + Doctor Faustus
Prose- Frankenstein and The Handmaid's Tale
Poetry- Unseen + T.S Eliot
Original post by Atiyya
Hi, Thanks for this thread! Im slightly confused, 9ET0 is a whole a level,so why is it referred to as A2 award.

I have no idea; I listed this thread as A2, so it must be one of the support team who changed it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending