The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's not that I'm not spending time...

But 3 days before some of my exams, there's a party... mainly for IB people finishing, but I have an invite... Genuinely don't know whether I should go cause I can guarantee that the next day will be spent asleep to recover... might be a bit too close...
Original post by rayofsunshine98
I had it I'm AS biology last year as well and still got an A - the boundaries were just very low. My thought is that, if we were A/A* students at GCSE and AS, unless our intelligence has decreased in relation to everyone else's in the last year we should get those grades again this summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, no need to panic or go overboard ! :smile:
Original post by Xphoenix
It's not that I'm not spending time...

But 3 days before some of my exams, there's a party... mainly for IB people finishing, but I have an invite... Genuinely don't know whether I should go cause I can guarantee that the next day will be spent asleep to recover... might be a bit too close...

You could always go for a little bit but not stay out too late/drink? I know I've been invited out on the Friday before my final two exams on Monday and Tuesday, but I have another commitment on the Saturday, so I'm just going out for a meal and a drink and then leaving my friends to go to the nightclub without me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we have to do anything for accommodation now, or do we wait until after exams?
Original post by Parhomus
Do we have to do anything for accommodation now, or do we wait until after exams?

Might differ from college to college but I'm pretty sure you do it after your exams/results day.
Original post by Parhomus

It varies a lot frommcollege to college, and basically you don't need to do anything until your college asks you.
Original post by zippidee
I don't want to be all 'in my day :shakecane:' but I honestly don't remember those of us in the 2009 offer-holder thread revising as much as people in here are. I guess the difference might be that we weren't aiming for A*s but I'd say that most of us got at least 1 or 2 A* equivalents by doing just what we'd always done to prepare for exams.

You've got to give yourself a break amidst all the studying. In fact, I would say there needs to be more break time than study time, because that is the time when your brain can process the information you're giving it. In these days of mental health awareness, and as somebody whose life has been significantly affected by anxiety (albeit health anxiety rather than study anxiety), I think it's important to spread the message that preparing for exams isn't all about working yourself crazy.

I think linear A Levels are a lot of it, there is in reality double the content we have to know, and we don't have AS grades to fall back on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2487
Original post by Obiejess
I think linear A Levels are a lot of it, there is in reality double the content we have to know, and we don't have AS grades to fall back on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is the way things​ used to be not that long ago. I think AS-levels only came in in 2000. And back then it was much harder to find past papers and similar resources.

Doing back to back past papers wasn't an option then.
I don't want to be all 'in my day :shakecane:' but I honestly don't remember those of us in the 2009 offer-holder thread revising as much as people in here are. I guess the difference might be that we weren't aiming for A*s but I'd say that most of us got at least 1 or 2 A* equivalents by doing just what we'd always done to prepare for exams.

You've got to give yourself a break amidst all the studying. In fact, I would say there needs to be more break time than study time, because that is the time when your brain can process the information you're giving it. In these days of mental health awareness, and as somebody whose life has been significantly affected by anxiety (albeit health anxiety rather than study anxiety), I think it's important to spread the message that preparing for exams isn't all about working yourself crazy.

You're really right on this one, I know it shouldn't rule my life, but with the new A levels and nobody knowing what an A* looks like it's so hard this year and, especially at my school where Oxbridge applicants are about 1 per 5 years (let alone offer holders, although the previous applicant also got an offer) there's a lot of pressure from teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think we're just all a little worried because we have A*AA-A*A*A offers and nobody knows just how well you have to do to get an A*. I am mainly just worried I don't cover the content in time, because memorising 2 years worth of content is a challenge. It's not inherently hard, it's just... a challenge because its so dull. A lot of this stuff is, at least for me, easy. Especially A-Level history, I don't find it challenging per se, but I do find memorising every detail and keeping hold of it in my mind challenging.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Yeah I think we're just all a little worried because we have A*AA-A*A*A offers and nobody knows just how well you have to do to get an A*. I am mainly just worried I don't cover the content in time, because memorising 2 years worth of content is a challenge. It's not inherently hard, it's just... a challenge because its so dull. A lot of this stuff is, at least for me, easy. Especially A-Level history, I don't find it challenging per se, but I do find memorising every detail and keeping hold of it in my mind challenging.

Its one of the benefits of doing maths at the moment. The marking guidelines havent changed (yet) so for maths and further maths we know exactly how well we need to do to get the A*s we need. That and we had AS levels, so we 'only' have a years worth of content to revise for each.
Original post by an_atheist
Its one of the benefits of doing maths at the moment. The marking guidelines havent changed (yet) so for maths and further maths we know exactly how well we need to do to get the A*s we need. That and we had AS levels, so we 'only' have a years worth of content to revise for each.

Unless you're like my school... Doing All AS Levels and A2 in one hit including maths...
Unless you're like my school... Doing All AS Levels and A2 in one hit including maths...

Wait what? I've heard of some schools further maths programmes being all of Maths A Level in Year 12, all of further maths A level in year 13. Not entirely sure how yours is working. are you doing all 12 exams this summer?
Wait what? I've heard of some schools further maths programmes being all of Maths A Level in Year 12, all of further maths A level in year 13. Not entirely sure how yours is working. are you doing all 12 exams this summer?

Well i do AS FM so 9 in total... RIP
Well i do AS FM so 9 in total... RIP

Sounds fun. I've got 7 maths exams since my school makes us do an extra module so I have the pleasure of doing both M3 and S3 this year. Joys (!).
I've got an extra module too, but since there's no pressure to do well in it and it'll be a backup module I don't include it... I've heard many things about M3 :redface:
Sounds fun. I've got 7 maths exams since my school makes us do an extra module so I have the pleasure of doing both M3 and S3 this year. Joys (!).
I've got an extra module too, but since there's no pressure to do well in it and it'll be a backup module I don't include it... I've heard many things about M3 :redface:

For the most part its like a slightly harder M2 with bits of C4 and M1 chucked in. Circular motion in the vertical plane, systems of connceted rods and the forces at joints, motion with variable forces (C4), impulse and restitution in 2 planes. Thats pretty much the module. The vertical circle stuff is what messes me up the most, I mess up signs or miss out a component.
Original post by Doonesbury
Which is the way things​ used to be not that long ago. I think AS-levels only came in in 2000. And back then it was much harder to find past papers and similar resources.

Doing back to back past papers wasn't an option then.

I was saying in comparison to 2009. Also, for my subjects, there is 1 specimen paper we did for our mock exams, and no past papers, because it's the new spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
I was saying in comparison to 2009. Also, for my subjects, there is 1 specimen paper we did for our mock exams, and no past papers, because it's the new spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's anything like mine...

No revision guides, no grade boundaries, no examiner commentaries save for the AS stuff. :redface: May the odds be forever in our favour!

^^yeah, I agree with this. I'm not sure how people are going to survive at Cambridge if they need to do this much revision for A-Levels.

Latest

Trending

Trending