The Student Room Group

Primark Induction 2017 -

Hey, so I had an interview for Primark and got the job! :smile: seeing as this will be my first job in retail I have a few questions,

I havn't had an email confirming any information for this, will I get an email?
For the induction, what should I expect?
What do I take to the induction? What should I wear?
Has anyone worked in Primark? What was your experience?

Thanks for all your help :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
You should've been told on the phone when to turn up and where to go, they may or may not email it, I got an email but i know others (In my induction didn't)
The induction for me was two hours in a room signing paperwork, filling out forms, doing some customer service training then a tour of the store =)
Just go smart casual, i just went in all black with comfy shoes
I worked there for six months, it wasn't too bad they're an alright comapny to work for. I just had a major issue with hours
Original post by Josie Pethick04
Hey, so I had an interview for Primark and got the job! :smile: seeing as this will be my first job in retail I have a few questions,

My inductio n was 9-6pm on a Saturday and our day went a bit like this:

First 2 hours or so was just paper work and the HR people wnet through F&Qs and a get to know you activity where we spoke to others in the induction
we then went on a half hour tour of the store where they shown us how to clock in/out, went round to look at fitting rooms, got taken to the fire assembly point and was also given door codes (there are probably lots of codes to remember so make sure you make a note of them on your phone until you remember them)
15min break
another 2/3 hours of general knowledge- went through the powerpoint on why primark is successful, some customer service activities (had to outline what good/bad service was), information about the store - management structure/dept codes/absence phone numbers
then a 1hr lunch break
then we just did more of a practical training thing for an hour or so, learning about different rails/tables etc we'd work with, how to use them, policy on overtime, selling DVDs to underaged people (with a quick test after watching a DVD on it) then went through other policies like staff warning procedures/what to do when you spot a shop lifter etc etc
then another 15min break
and thn we came back to the office for half an hour or so where we were given our lanyards and some last minute prep talks/final pieces of the presentation and we were taken to our departments where we were introduced to our supervisors/managers/team members and we did like 2 hours on the shop floor (it will be EXTEEMELY BORING! at this point, I remember I was thinking of quitting at this point as the induction was extremely tiring and now i'm folding clothes and watching othe staff joke around with each other) however just keep at it and after a few shifts you'll make friends and learn to be flexible (you'll do things on your own without supervisors telling you and not feel so restricted

then the next day, Sunday, I started and completed my first shift! I then worked 7-4pm shift the following sat for overtime

to answer your other qs;

depends on the store- most do email with what you need to do/contract hours/links to websites of stuff you need to fill out (like an online training/workday stuff for bank accounts) you'll also be given the staff handbook to read through briefly before your induction (It's huge tho so you probably won't)
see above but it's EXTREMELY BORING! just remember that everyone who works at primark (even the HR people doing your induction) have had to go through it - even the store manager has once done the induction and everyone finds it boring, it's just policy to get it done! just keep remembering that it's only one day and you'll soon be on your feet and working

wear full black- i wore a black jumper/black jeans and black canvass shoes, don't wear clothes that have tears in or just look grubby (wear clothes similar to your interview clothes but make sure you're comfortable and not as formal)

worked there for about a month now and i'm having mixed emotions! I adore my floor to bits but they often send me downstairs when they're busy which really annoys me, just remember to enjoy it while you can and remember that it's a job - not a career - and you will meet people there that you absolutely love and have great conversations with, while others you won't get on with so well - just remember that in a few years time you probably won't even know them! and make sure you ask a supervisor whenever you're stuck - they're super duper lovely most of the time and will always give you a hand, if you're doing more complex tasks like tills then remember to take your time and not feel rushed (take your time counting money etc) and be friendly - if the customer is rude then just tell yourself that you won't ever see them again so just ignore it! I had one customer tell me I shouldn't be working there because I had to ask someone else to double check the amount of cash someone gave me looooooool! don't be afraid to ask for help is my biggest tip, everyone there is lovely (some might be harder to get close with than others)

enjoy! don't let it stress you out (you'll feel the anxiety/stress but just remember that youre there to have fun and get a few pennies in ya bank). have fun and good luck! <3
Original post by Unforgetting
My inductio n was 9-6pm on a Saturday and our day went a bit like this:

First 2 hours or so was just paper work and the HR people wnet through F&Qs and a get to know you activity where we spoke to others in the induction
we then went on a half hour tour of the store where they shown us how to clock in/out, went round to look at fitting rooms, got taken to the fire assembly point and was also given door codes (there are probably lots of codes to remember so make sure you make a note of them on your phone until you remember them)
15min break
another 2/3 hours of general knowledge- went through the powerpoint on why primark is successful, some customer service activities (had to outline what good/bad service was), information about the store - management structure/dept codes/absence phone numbers
then a 1hr lunch break
then we just did more of a practical training thing for an hour or so, learning about different rails/tables etc we'd work with, how to use them, policy on overtime, selling DVDs to underaged people (with a quick test after watching a DVD on it) then went through other policies like staff warning procedures/what to do when you spot a shop lifter etc etc
then another 15min break
and thn we came back to the office for half an hour or so where we were given our lanyards and some last minute prep talks/final pieces of the presentation and we were taken to our departments where we were introduced to our supervisors/managers/team members and we did like 2 hours on the shop floor (it will be EXTEEMELY BORING! at this point, I remember I was thinking of quitting at this point as the induction was extremely tiring and now i'm folding clothes and watching othe staff joke around with each other) however just keep at it and after a few shifts you'll make friends and learn to be flexible (you'll do things on your own without supervisors telling you and not feel so restricted

then the next day, Sunday, I started and completed my first shift! I then worked 7-4pm shift the following sat for overtime

to answer your other qs;

depends on the store- most do email with what you need to do/contract hours/links to websites of stuff you need to fill out (like an online training/workday stuff for bank accounts) you'll also be given the staff handbook to read through briefly before your induction (It's huge tho so you probably won't)
see above but it's EXTREMELY BORING! just remember that everyone who works at primark (even the HR people doing your induction) have had to go through it - even the store manager has once done the induction and everyone finds it boring, it's just policy to get it done! just keep remembering that it's only one day and you'll soon be on your feet and working

wear full black- i wore a black jumper/black jeans and black canvass shoes, don't wear clothes that have tears in or just look grubby (wear clothes similar to your interview clothes but make sure you're comfortable and not as formal)

worked there for about a month now and i'm having mixed emotions! I adore my floor to bits but they often send me downstairs when they're busy which really annoys me, just remember to enjoy it while you can and remember that it's a job - not a career - and you will meet people there that you absolutely love and have great conversations with, while others you won't get on with so well - just remember that in a few years time you probably won't even know them! and make sure you ask a supervisor whenever you're stuck - they're super duper lovely most of the time and will always give you a hand, if you're doing more complex tasks like tills then remember to take your time and not feel rushed (take your time counting money etc) and be friendly - if the customer is rude then just tell yourself that you won't ever see them again so just ignore it! I had one customer tell me I shouldn't be working there because I had to ask someone else to double check the amount of cash someone gave me looooooool! don't be afraid to ask for help is my biggest tip, everyone there is lovely (some might be harder to get close with than others)

enjoy! don't let it stress you out (you'll feel the anxiety/stress but just remember that youre there to have fun and get a few pennies in ya bank). have fun and good luck! <3

Aww, thank you so much for the reply! Has helped a lot, I will try to enjoy it!

Thanks again!:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Josie Pethick04

You should take any documentation (e.g. Passport in number ) you need to wear plain back t-shirt and demin indigo or dark Jeans and black shoes . Also the intro lasts up to 6 hours . 12 hours in total . And you need to complete your health and safety certification online before you can go to your induction otherwise they won't let you in !
Hey I have my primark induction tomorrow and I'm really nervous about going in before the store is open to customer. My induction is from 9 till 5 so I'm not sure whether to be early and try and get into the store or wait till 9 where I can walk in and ask a member of staff where to go etc. I'm also curious, do you do your induction with a group of people or alone???
Reply 6
Original post by amytaylor9
Hey I have my primark induction tomorrow and I'm really nervous about going in before the store is open to customer. My induction is from 9 till 5 so I'm not sure whether to be early and try and get into the store or wait till 9 where I can walk in and ask a member of staff where to go etc. I'm also curious, do you do your induction with a group of people or alone???

Hi, you have to arrive 30mins early with all your documentation , if you are working in the "nottingham store" they are very nice and they will help you and also your introduction will be with other people not just you , it will be mostly the people that have applied for the same job as you . The introduction is very easy just signing paperwork and watch videos about primark also they should give you a tour of the shop aswell .
Reply 7
Hi i have an interview with Primark for Christmas retail assistant what should i wear and what should i expect in the interview most of all wages?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Muva
Hi i have an interview with Primark for Christmas retail assistant what should i wear and what should i expect in the interview most of all wages?

I’ve been working there a few months and I love it! (Not working really but more the people I’m with) Wear a smart clothing, and they ask questions about scenarios which may occur when your working e.g what to do if a customer asks for something off a mannequin. Seriously don’t panic, it’s not a interview which is trying to catch you out. And regards to pay I only know that under 18 get £5.04, over 18 get £6.80 and then it changes again at 21 but not sure of what that is! Good luck at your interview!
Reply 9
Do i give them the clothes off the mannequin?
Original post by Muva
Do i give them the clothes off the mannequin?

Do you give customers the clothes of the mannequin? Not without asking your manager first
Reply 11
Still waiting for this interview it's been 2 weeks and 2 days! Hope they get back to me, I would love to work for Primark! :smile:
Original post by Roy101
Still waiting for this interview it's been 2 weeks and 2 days! Hope they get back to me, I would love to work for Primark! :smile:

Took like 8 weeks for them to get back to me, just be patient they always need staff :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by amytaylor9
Took like 8 weeks for them to get back to me, just be patient they always need staff :smile:

Awwwh thanks! Hopefully they get back to me, I really need this job
It took me three times to get this job guys lol in different stores obviously. With regards inductions don’t stress out. They’re very boring, but hey, sitting around for a while and getting paid isn’t too bad! I don’t know if it’s just cause I live in Northern Ireland, but i get £7.57 per hour.... hope you all really love working here, I love it personally. Best of luck guys 😀
Reply 15
Original post by Givemeajob123
It took me three times to get this job guys lol in different stores obviously. With regards inductions don’t stress out. They’re very boring, but hey, sitting around for a while and getting paid isn’t too bad! I don’t know if it’s just cause I live in Northern Ireland, but i get £7.57 per hour.... hope you all really love working here, I love it personally. Best of luck guys 😀

I'm still waiting for an interview from them! It's taking ages!
Reply 16
When did they email you the myworkday email?

I know they split the emails into three and I have only received one.
hey, i had my interview at primark and i was told that i passed the interview and that i will get a phone call for the induction, it has been 3 days since the interview and still no phone calls. is it normal? or does it mean that it was just a bluff?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending