The Student Room Group

The WWE Society II

Scroll to see replies

"If I don't beat Lesnar for the title... I will set my balls on fireeeeee"

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6041
Jack Gallagher rumoured to be turning heel tonight, costing Austin Aries his match with Neville. I really, really doubt that'll happen. It makes little sense, and I'm not sure Gallagher would be a good heel. Plus, the cruiserweight division has two stand-out heels now - Neville and TJ Perkins - and a lot of lower-rung heels, too, from Drew Gulak and Tony Nese to Noam Dar. Still, it may give Aries something new to do and Neville clear light to feud with another babyface (I'd love to see Mustafa Ali more).
Original post by Mackay
The Wrestling Observer reported this week that part of the House of Horrors match will be pre-taped and part of it will be live.

God. It's going to cringey as :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:.

Have you seen the Memes? It looks like it was very cringey

Okay, Question:
Who's going to put an end to this Braun Strowman's Monster killing machine, I've seen on twitter, people are suggesting a match with Brock, maybe at Summer Slam, or do you think this feud with Roman will continue? Or will there be a re-uniting of the Shield since they're all on RAW now?
Reply 6043
That is one of the weirdest PPVs I've ever seen from WWE - and that says something.

I have no idea why Chris Jericho is winning the US Championship, or what that means for SmackDown going forward. Jericho will now move to SmackDown with the title despite going on tour with Fozzy soon. It makes very little sense for the blue brand, who will now lose the allure of a championship, and it's especially disappointing given Kevin Owens' brilliance with the belt thus far. The Face of America Open Challenge could have possibly been one of the best parts of the SmackDown weekly show. Instead, he's lost ANOTHER strap prematurely. It just reeks of WWE throwing a swerve for no reason, considering we all expected Owens to go over.

The less said about the House of Horrors match, the better. It was hammy as expected, with cringey moments and it was basically as if WWE had written Final Deletion, but without a sense of humour. Bray Wyatt going over was expected, and welcome, but the emergence of Jinder Mahal - despite hyping the Backlash match - was a mistake. The match seemed overbooked, and while both stars did a good job in making the most of a frustrated set-up (which clearly irked the crowd, considering it was pre-taped and they had forked out good money to see it), it was a cluster:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: of a segment and really, really didn't deliver. I don't think Bray deserves requiring so much aid to win, either.

That followed an underwhelming pre-show, which saw Enzo and Cass sneak a win over The Club, Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows. Amore scored a roll-up win but it's indicative of how far these two teams have fallen that they're on the pre-show. The result was never really in doubt, given the fact WWE likes babyface teams to go over to foster a good relationship with the audience at the beginning of the show. But the pre-show itself was poor, with an elongated MizTV angle which would have been better served on RAW. Still, I'm a fan of Finn Balor and the Miz, and the duo going toe-to-toe could be a very good, promising feud.

Elsewhere, we saw the cruiserweights steal the show, as Neville got himself disqualified (the ultimate heel move which we don't see enough, imho) to retain the strap vs Austin Aries. Neville looked like an absolute star, and the best part of the win means we'll now likely get a pay-off match with a stipulation (hopefully a Ladder Match) to seal the feud. I love Neville's title reign, though, and I hope it continues for some time yet. The Hardy Boyz also retained their straps, before Sheamus and Cesaro - as expected - turned heel and attacked the babyface champions, spawning the Broken Hardys that fans have been clamouring for. Full credit to the latter duo, who controlled the bout and definitely elevated a Hardy duo who have both lost a step as a result of frequent high spots, bumps and injuries. These two teams will have some stellar bouts going forward, eventually leading to one of the Hardys turning on the other, and a decent singles feud between the pair. The heel turn should add a whole new dynamic to the tag team division on Raw, and it should help revitalise not only this feud, but also the careers of Cesaro and Sheamus.

To be honest, my match of the night was Alexa Bliss de-throning Bayley to become the WWE RAW Women's Championship. The former is a great, great competitor - and one who is young, capable of soaking up everything her coaches and trainers are telling her, and learning on the job. She isn't a veteran and she hasn't spent time in the indies, but she's a fantastic heel and she has now made history by becoming the first ever RAW and SmackDown Women's Champion. Going over here was the right call by WWE, because Bliss beating Bayley in her hometown extracts great heat, and Bayley - as any babyface does - looks better while chasing the belt. Sasha Banks vs Bayley is still a money-making feud going forward, but it remains to be seen when that will happen. For now, I'd like to see Bliss go up against Mickie James, leaving Bayely vs Sasha Banks a mouth-watering secondary feud in the women's division.

WWE is clearly gearing up for Seth Rollins vs Samoa Joe to run on and on throughout the summer, but to be honest, the feud is stale and underwhelming at this point. Seeing Rollins go over was odd, given it being Joe's first PPV on the main roster, but if it leads to a couple of sequels which Joe wins, then it makes sense. The bout itself was intense, and a decent match, but Braun Strowman defeating Roman Reigns eclipsed it. It was an absolutely brilliant match, making Strowman look like a star, and we're clearly geared up for an Ambulance Match somewhere down the line. There's big money to be had in Brock Lesnar vs Strowman, and Reigns losing at Payback was undoubtedly the right call. It's great to see WWE giving Strowman the push he deserves, and they are well and truly capitalising on his current surge in popularity.
Definitely one of the better filler PPV's that has come out in a long while. Jinder Mahal really didn't need to interfere with Wyatt's match, because it did almost nothing to put Wyatt over, otherwise the match up to that point was fine, even if Orton got up after a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing fridge falling on top of him.

Seth Rollins vs Joe needs to move on. We get it Seth, you have an injured knee, but they can't keep reusing the same gimmick for months and months because it's already getting a bit old. I get that Rollins is the top star on the show currently, but WWE need to be careful with how they book him.
Reply 6045
Original post by AR_95
Definitely one of the better filler PPV's that has come out in a long while. Jinder Mahal really didn't need to interfere with Wyatt's match, because it did almost nothing to put Wyatt over, otherwise the match up to that point was fine, even if Orton got up after a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing fridge falling on top of him.

Seth Rollins vs Joe needs to move on. We get it Seth, you have an injured knee, but they can't keep reusing the same gimmick for months and months because it's already getting a bit old. I get that Rollins is the top star on the show currently, but WWE need to be careful with how they book him.

Rollins can't sell. He either needs to learn to sell, or drop the knee shtick. Selling it for a minute, and then his knee being fine for 30 seconds, just isn't feasible. People can criticise Reigns plenty, but he's one of the finest sellers in WWE today imho. Last night, he was stellar.
Original post by Mackay
Rollins can't sell. He either needs to learn to sell, or drop the knee shtick. Selling it for a minute, and then his knee being fine for 30 seconds, just isn't feasible. People can criticise Reigns plenty, but he's one of the finest sellers in WWE today imho. Last night, he was stellar.

Yeah I'd agree, I actually quite like Reigns and have been very interested in his recent booking. Also real or not, chanting "You deserve it" whilst someone is bleeding through their mouth is just vile.
Reply 6047
Original post by AR_95
Yeah I'd agree, I actually quite like Reigns and have been very interested in his recent booking. Also real or not, chanting "You deserve it" whilst someone is bleeding through their mouth is just vile.

Especially considering he's only just back from compassionate leave following Rosey's death.
Had no idea Rosey was his brother but most WWE fans will be oblivious to that. Surprised WWE didn't acknowledge it on air to help it with an angle for Reigns, anything to get more cheers for him but maybe that's me being a tad cynical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aky786UK
Had no idea Rosey was his brother but most WWE fans will be oblivious to that. Surprised WWE didn't acknowledge it on air to help it with an angle for Reigns, anything to get more cheers for him but maybe that's me being a tad cynical.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They did acknowledge it on air that Reigns would be taking time off because of the event, but the crowd still boo'd.
Reply 6050
A decent episode of RAW, which did well to further some midcard storylines.

The highlight of the night for me was Seth Rollins' promo, which drew a huge huge pop which we have seen only too rarely recently. Rollins' work as a babyface leaves a lot to be desired, and his Samoa Joe feud is underwhelming, but his address of the WWE Universe and his targeting of Brock Lesnar was brilliant. Having Finn Balor also insert himself into that picture was smart, but it was disappointing to see WWE treat Dean Ambrose and his Intercontinental Championship as second-rate. Kurt Angle basically told Balor and Rollins, while they couldn't face Lesnar, they could face Ambrose. In the main event, the Triple Threat - between Rollins and Balor and the Miz - saw the latter win, courtesy of a Bray Wyatt interference, following Samoa Joe taking Rollins out. That strengthens three midcard feuds heading forward into Extreme Rules, and is clever storytelling.

Unfortunately, Wyatt looks a toothless monster as a result of continuously disastrous booking. His clash with Angle earlier in the night was great, and he'll likely pick up one win over Balor before The Demon wins the following two PPV match-ups, but he never wins a feud and it's getting old now. Another negative, for me at least, is the staleness of Ambrose vs Miz. I thought the Superstar Shake-Up was going to freshen things up, but instead, the pair are feuding for exactly the same title in exactly the same spot just on a different brand, which is disappointing. I wouldn't have minded seeing Balor vs Miz, or Ambrose vs a heel Apollo Crews, aligned with Titus O'Neil.

Elsewhere, it's amazing how far Enzo and Cass have fallen since debuting. Their shtick got annoying and old real quick, with the latter just listing things these days and the former an annoying caricature who can't wrestle. Enzo gave Luke Gallows trouble in a one-on-one match-up last night, which is farcical booking, and Karl Anderson had to interfere to afford the heel a win. This feud is doing nothing for either team. Much better is the Sheamus and Cesaro vs The Hardy Boyz feud, and WWE is wise to delay the emergence of Broken Matt and Jeff. Last night, we saw the freshly-turned heels explain their decision in a promo.

There was cruiserweight action to be had, too, with Austin Aries beating TJ Perkins, who cemented his heel turn and furthered his character by beating AA viciously afterwards. He left to a chorus of boos and his heel turn may very well be the best thing that could have happened to him. That followed a cruiserweight six-man tag team match, which saw Jack Gallagher score a pin over The Brian Kendick as Gallagher, Akira Tozawa and Rich Swann beat Noam Dar, Tony Nese and Kendrick. We also saw Apollo Crews defeat Heath Slater in a battle of poorly booked superstars.

Once again, the highlight of the night - for me at least - was the women's division. Alexa Bliss opened proceedings with a fantastic heel promo, discussing how nobody in the division holds a candle to her. Her needling of Bayley, Mickie James and Sasha Banks was exceptional, as was her fear of Nia Jax. After that stellar mic work, Bliss cemented the crowd's hatred for her by scoring a win and pinning Bayley AGAIN as Bliss, Nia Jax, Emma and Alicia Fox beat Bayley, Sasha Banks, Mickie James and Dana Brooke.
How many people are actually targetting Brock Lesnar now, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman?
If next year is Lesnar's last WM, Strowman needs to be the guy to take him out, not Reigns. Lesnar can easily go out as a face vs Strowman and he should.

Had a feeling Bray would attack Balor, and that we'll see demon Balor return at some point.

Alexa Bliss is the best heel on the mic because I'm pretty sure she brings her own personality into her style, she doesn't just use the slow and patronizing style that Charlotte does.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
How many people are actually targetting Brock Lesnar now, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman?
If next year is Lesnar's last WM, Strowman needs to be the guy to take him out, not Reigns. Lesnar can easily go out as a face vs Strowman and he should.

Had a feeling Bray would attack Balor, and that we'll see demon Balor return at some point.

Alexa Bliss is the best heel on the mic because I'm pretty sure she brings her own personality into her style, she doesn't just use the slow and patronizing style that Charlotte does.

Braun has been built as the next Lesnar from the start, since way back just after Lesnar had Vince by the balls during contract negotiations. Maybe they're actually going through with something to the very end for once?!

Bray kinda made it obvious he would attack Finn, basically warned him weeks ago. If only wrestlers were smart.

Funnily enough, Alexa uses other people as inspiration for her heel work. Regal's advice is to watch people where they're at their angriest and nastiest - airports. So what you see is an amalgamation of all the expressions and anger of people forgetting their passport or missing their flight.
Reply 6053
Original post by AR_95

Original post by ozzyoscy
Braun has been built as the next Lesnar from the start, since way back just after Lesnar had Vince by the balls during contract negotiations. Maybe they're actually going through with something to the very end for once?!

I love the Strowman run but I would still be very surprised if in 3 years time he isn't being portrayed as some loveable giant, crying in the ring and partaking in backstage comedy skits with Tyler Breeze.

Bray kinda made it obvious he would attack Finn, basically warned him weeks ago. If only wrestlers were smart.

Completely missed that tbh. Anyways as much as Wyatt is going to be perma buried, I can see WWE building him up for a pretty big win at Summer Slam or WM next year.

Original post by Mackay
I love the Strowman run but I would still be very surprised if in 3 years time he isn't being portrayed as some loveable giant, crying in the ring and partaking in backstage comedy skits with Tyler Breeze.

I doubt it, WWE haven't had a monster guy this talented and over in the ring since, well, Kane/Big show and Taker? I think they'll hold on to him for a bit longer, even if they do bury him.

Getting a clean ish win vs Reigns is huge too, I fully expected Reigns to get the pin and slip out. WWE is being wise about this.

Alsooooo, I read an article maybe two years back that the WWE wanted the show to be a bit more edgy and more violent(ish). From the looks of it that appears to be true.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6055
Original post by AR_95

Alsooooo, I read an article maybe two years back that the WWE wanted the show to be a bit more edgy and more violent(ish). From the looks of it that appears to be true.

That bodes well for the future - and certainly tallies with the ending to Payback. I haven't seen Reigns booked that weak yet, and his blood spluttering was something to behold. He's a really good seller and that was quite a shocking conclusion in the realm of PG era WWE.
The post-PPV segment was kinda hilarious.

"I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU" *runs into door*

*Roman still ends segment looking strong*
The post-PPV segment was kinda hilarious.

"I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU" *runs into door*

*Roman still ends segment looking strong*

Funny thing about Payback was it felt way more like a RAW show than an actual PPV. The Wyatt segment, Mahal walking off with the title, and Reigns ending segment probably have a lot to do with that, though I'm not complaining.
Original post by Mackay
That bodes well for the future - and certainly tallies with the ending to Payback. I haven't seen Reigns booked that weak yet, and his blood spluttering was something to behold. He's a really good seller and that was quite a shocking conclusion in the realm of PG era WWE.

Randy Orton's head splitting open also comes to mind, though I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't planned.
Reply 6059
So as expected, Chris Jericho IS going on tour with Fozzy and, as such, he relinquished the US Championship on SmackDown. I'm all for Kevin Owens being the champion, and him squaring off vs AJ Styles at Backlash. I absolutely adore Owens' character and heel work, and I was disappointed WWE afforded him a PPV loss at Payback. It seems they were swerving us just for the sake of it, which is pointless and redundant and hot-potatoing the strap does nothing for its prestige. Still, it gave us two exceptional matches, including the main event which saw a ruthless Owens beat Jericho after an opening segment saw the pair of them clash with Styles, ending with Owens/Styles brawling on the ramp. Their bout at Payback will be excellent and I can't wait. It also makes sense for Jericho to ride off into the sunset now. He's had his best run in years, but after turning face, his shtick would probably get stale quickly, and he's also looking a tad out of shape imho.

Elsewhere, Tye Dillinger rolled out Aiden English in a squash match, before the latter whined and cried backstage. That's a new character development and means, even in defeat, he can be showcased by WWE Creative. He's clearly going to be a jobber, but having these character quirks will help set him out from the crowd. That match was one of a few underwhelming ones last night. We also saw Jinder Mahal beat Sami Zayn with the help of the Singh brothers. Obviously, Mahal is being booked strongly ahead of his clash with Randy Orton, and having him win by nefarious means is smart, but he seems stiff in the ring and last night drew blood from Zayn weeks after concussing Finn Balor on RAW, which may concern WWE. We also, sadly, didn't see Shinsuke Nakamura, but we did see his rival Dolph Ziggler beat Sin Cara in an underwhelming match.

It was odd we didn't see Nakamura, but WWE is clearly trying to keep him as secretive and mysterious as possible. WWE is wise to treat his appearances as special events, really. I'm disappointed we didn't see a payoff between Baron Corbin's attack on Zayn on Talking Smack last week, too, but clearly that will come down the line. The lack of development in the tag division meant the Usos and American Alpha, as well as the New Day (the three most over and popular teams on the blue brand roster) weren't featured at all, but thankfully Breeango made up for it with their Fashion Files segment. I absolutely love Breezango and their gimmick is such a breath of fresh air. I find them hilarious and I'm glad they're being showcased. The other segment of note was the Welcoming Committee - aka Natalya, Carmella, Tamina and James Ellsworth - targeting Charlotte backstage, leaving Naomi on her own for a tag team bout. Becky Lynch teased turning heel and aligning herself with the newly formed faction, which has an awful name, but she turned on the heels and was duly knocked down and beaten on.

On 205 Live, we saw TJ Perkins beat Lince Dorado in the event opener, showcasing his new heel persona and developing his character further. He's probably one of the best things about the cruiserweight division right now, and it's great to see. He's always been a fantastic in-ring talent but he needed the right showcase and character, rather than that cocky babyface upstart. He's much better as a heel. We also saw The Brian Kendrick cut a backstage promo on Akira Tozawa, before the babyface kicked him for good measure, and Drew Gulak beat Mustapha Ali. Their contrasting styles meshed well and will give birth to some good in-ring action, but the genesis of the feud doesn't make sense. So, Gulak doesn't want cruiserweights to do high-flying moves? Why? Weird. In the main event, Noam Dar beat Rich Swann before - gulp - reuniting with Alicia Fox, a storyline nobody cares about, wants to see or deserves. 205 Live is doing great work recently, showcasing a heel Neville and TJP, and giving more time to Jack Gallagher on RAW etc, but it's storylines like this which are undermining the cruiserweight division.

Quick Reply

Latest