The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
^^yeah, I agree with this. I'm not sure how people are going to survive at Cambridge if they need to do this much revision for A-Levels.

Can you honestly say you're surviving when you've got about 9 years worth of lectures to catch up on?
Original post by Zacken
^^yeah, I agree with this. I'm not sure how people are going to survive at Cambridge if they need to do this much revision for A-Levels.

I think its more down to not knowing exactly what to expect in the exams due to a new syllabus and examination style, so overpreparing for the exam is the safest way to go, and that means doing a crapload of revision.
Original post by Zacken

Seriously think it's the fact it's a brand new course, so learning 2 years worth of stuff VS the last year or so. I certainly find everything very very very easy, but I just worry my memory with lapse on the day. I usually do about 5 hours a day (weekend) and 2-3 (weekday) though so it's about normal, I know some people doing way more and they have offers.
Original post by an_atheist
I think its more down to not knowing exactly what to expect in the exams due to a new syllabus and examination style, so overpreparing for the exam is the safest way to go, and that means doing a crapload of revision.

Agreed :biggrin: over preparing is the way to go IMO I mean it's not very comforting when your own teachers are just guessing lol may as well go above and beyond

I know a kid who had an Oxford offer for History who did 15 hours a day everyday :s-smilie: His offer was AAA
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2504
And everyone doing the reformed A-levels is in the same boat. You guys haven't suddenly become stupider than everyone else.

Trust in your own abilities. Cambridge does.

It. Still. Will. Be. Absolutely. Fine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Seriously think it's the fact it's a brand new course, so learning 2 years worth of stuff VS the last year or so. I certainly find everything very very very easy, but I just worry my memory with lapse on the day. I usually do about 5 hours a day (weekend) and 2-3 (weekday) though so it's about normal, I know some people doing way more and they have offers.

I am the exact same, I think the content is ridiculously easy, it's just the sheer volume of it I have to try and force into my skull.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NeverLucky
Can you honestly say you're surviving when you've got about 9 years worth of lectures to catch up on?

Heh, I'm actually more or less up to date. Now only have to worry about catching up on the lectures I'm inevitably missing this term (already slept through two today lmao).

Original post by an_atheist

Yeah, I get that - not what I'm contesting. Some of the things on this thread certainly seem to be over the top. Also this:

Doonesbury
And everyone doing the reformed A-levels is in the same boat. You guys haven't suddenly become stupider than everyone else.

Original post by SteamboatMickey
Seriously think it's the fact it's a brand new course, so learning 2 years worth of stuff VS the last year or so.

Agree with the new course bit, disagree with the 'learning 2 years worth of stuff v/s the last year or so' - it's not like people in the previous system could just immediately forget their AS content, it certainly could and did come up in A2 papers. For example, loads of A2 physics would actually be some topics from AS - it's not like people didn't have to revise all two years when preparing for AS.
Original post by Zacken
Heh, I'm actually more or less up to date. Now only have to worry about catching up on the lectures I'm inevitably missing this term (already slept through two today lmao).

Yeah, I get that - not what I'm contesting. Some of the things on this thread certainly seem to be over the top. Also this:

Agree with the new course bit, disagree with the 'learning 2 years worth of stuff v/s the last year or so' - it's not like people in the previous system could just immediately forget their AS content, it certainly could and did come up in A2 papers. For example, loads of A2 physics would actually be some topics from AS - it's not like people didn't have to revise all two years when preparing for AS.

Different for those of us doing essay subjects, you could literally just forget the English Lit texts or the period of history you had studied at AS, now we really do have double.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2508
Original post by Obiejess
Different for those of us doing essay subjects, you could literally just forget the English Lit texts or the period of history you had studied at AS, now we really do have double.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the same for IBers...

It was the same for A-levels before the AS was introduced...

It's the same for everyone doing reformed essay subjects.

You folks are in the top 5% in the country. You got this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Agree with the new course bit, disagree with the 'learning 2 years worth of stuff v/s the last year or so' - it's not like people in the previous system could just immediately forget their AS content, it certainly could and did come up in A2 papers.

Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you actually looking at what I'm replying to before you make comparisons I already know about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the same as those doing PRE-Us since 2008.

It's the same as those doing international A Levels in those schools that have sadistically opted for terminal examinations in the last few years.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2512
Original post by Obiejess
Are you actually looking at what I'm replying to before you make comparisons I already know about?

Yes. And are you taking on board what we are saying?
(edited 6 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technically speaking for IB Higher Level English Literature A (Idk if this contributes to the conversation or anything) we don't have to know any of the works from Year 1. All of the works we have to know about is in Part 3 which we read in (depending on the school) 1st or 2nd term of your 2nd year in IB (so like right before the exams)

Our paper 1 (which is happening tomorrow :hide:) is an unseen poetry/prose commentary so can't really revise for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2514
Original post by wolfmoon88
Technically speaking for IB Higher Level English Literature A (Idk if this contributes to the conversation or anything) we don't have to know any of the works from Year 1. All of the works we have to know about is in Part 3 which we read in (depending on the school) 1st or 2nd term of your 2nd year in IB (so like right before the exams)

Our paper 1 (which is happening tomorrow :hide:) is an unseen poetry/prose commentary so can't really revise for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah didn't know that. :wink:

And good luck to all the IBers :smile:
Ah didn't know that. :wink:

And good luck to all the IBers :smile:

Well now you know :lol: :tongue: so people doing reformed A2 essay subjects have to remember more books than us most likely (we only need to remember 4). (But we have to study for 2 or 3 more subjects as well so I guess it balances out? :tongue:

Thank you :smile: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. And are you taking on board what we are saying?

What you are saying is irrelevant to the point I was making about A Levels now compared to 2009. I never said other people weren't in the same boat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

I don't think we need to, I just think we will feel a lot better if it doesn't happen in the summer if we have worked every hour in the day

Anyone else feel it's unfair that I'm having to justify only getting like 64% in my chem mock 😭😭 school can actually do one at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayofsunshine98
Anyone else feel it's unfair that I'm having to justify only getting like 64% in my chem mock 😭😭 school can actually do one at the moment

What's unfair about it?

I don't know what exam board you're doing, but for the two old Chemistry specs I know (OCR A and AQA), 64% raw marks would generally be a C, sometimes a low B. The new OCR A specification also followed this pattern for the new AS papers. The new AQA AS did have much lower boundaries than before but still, 64% only just about scraped an A.
Original post by Forecast
What's unfair about it?

I don't know what exam board you're doing, but for the two old Chemistry specs I know (OCR A and AQA), 64% raw marks would generally be a C, sometimes a low B. The new OCR A specification also followed this pattern for the new AS papers. The new AQA AS did have much lower boundaries than before but still, 64% only just about scraped an A.

Yeah I know, but I got about 70% in my AS level with AQA. And bearing in mind that due to circumstances outside of my control at the moment which school are aware of (which won't affect my exams or anything but that did have an impact on my mocks) and the stupid timetabling which meant I had two two hour exams with only a 10 minute break, and the fact I told my chem teacher that I had a major panic in the mocks, isn't it clear enough already what interfered? And before anyone asks, the circumstances are that my eyesight has got a decent amount worse recently, and I always get really bad headaches when I can't see properly. I'm picking my new glasses up on Saturday, but at the moment I'm having to deal with old ones I am struggling to see through. But the headaches have been ruining my sleep and I can't see straight because of them at the moment. I told school because I'm often having to go and find somewhere quiet to just sit for 10 mins with my eyes shut in frees to try and make myself feel a tiny bit better.And making me justify why I'm not working hard enough? I couldn't be working any harder without seriously compromising my health. And before anyone says what if I panic in the real exam, in the real exam, my school organise for a teacher to be with students just before the exam. And unlike with my other mocks, where I wasn't as panicky because several of us did them together so could calm each other down, I was completely on my own before chem. whereas in the real ones I'll at least have a teacher with me to calm me down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending