The Student Room Group

proofs for edexcel maths

hi guys, can someone tell me the proofs we need to know for c1, c2 and s1, c3, c4 and s2?

thank you ;D
Reply 1
Original post by tangent33
hi guys, can someone tell me the proofs we need to know for c1, c2 and s1, c3, c4 and s2?

thank you ;D

Sum of an arithmetic series formula
Sum of a geometric series formula
sec/tan and cosec/cot identities.
Double angle formulas (using addition formulae)
Derivative of axa^x.
Integrals of tan/cot (on formula book but simple proofs)

I'm not familiar enough with S1/S2 to help you with those.
Reply 2
anybody?

You should post maths questions in the maths forum if you want faster replies (I've just moved this one for you). And please don't bump your threads - you're much more likely to get a response if you leave your thread unanswered.

thank you ;D

For S1 I don't remember anything.

For S2 I believe you need to be able to find E(X) and Var(X) for a given distribution, including standard ones like for continuous uniform and all that although not the variance for that one.
I think also the sine and cosine rules and I'm not too sure about the quadratic equation one.
Reply 5
Original post by Miss.Modesty
I think also the sine and cosine rules and I'm not too sure about the quadratic equation one.

No proofs of the sine/cosine rules and quadratic formula are not required for A Level.
Proof of the sum of odd and even numbers, the product of odd and even numbers is ... number.
Proof by contradiction.
Direct proof.
Proof by inspection (work every possibility out).
The equating of two trig with a three lined equal sign between them is a type of proof too.
The proof for the statistics is just deriving the formulas and you should know them because they explain how you get them.
The reasons for F(x) = 1
Deriving the formula for events
Original post by Anfanny

Proof by inspection (work every possibility out).
The equating of two trig with a three lined equal sign between them is a type of proof too.
The reasons for F(x) = 1

This is called proof by exhaustion/brute force :smile:

Proving trigonometric identities, you mean?

What do you mean? What is F(x)F(x)?

Original post by _gcx

This is called proof by exhaustion/brute force :smile:

Proving trigonometric identities, you mean?

What do you mean? What is F(x)F(x)?

I was going to write brute force!
Trig identities proof yes but there can also be anything they ask you so get from point A to point B. Well you need to understand that sumF(x)=1sumF(x)=1 because that's all there can be.
Reply 9
Original post by Anfanny
I was going to write brute force!
Trig identities proof yes but there can also be anything they ask you so get from point A to point B. Well you need to understand that sumF(x)=1sumF(x)=1 because that's all there can be.

I recommend you post a specific example since sumF(x)=1sumF(x)=1 is very confusing and it's hard to know what you're trying to say,
Original post by notnek
I recommend you post a specific example since sumF(x)=1sumF(x)=1 is very confusing and it's hard to know what you're trying to say,

The sum of all the probabilities in a given set where the amount of events does not change is equal to one. This can include the probability that the events do not happen which is an event on its own.

So

EXiPi=1EXiPi=1
Reply 11
Original post by Anfanny
The sum of all the probabilities in a given set where the amount of events does not change is equal to one. This can include the probability that the events do not happen which is an event on its own.

So

EXiPi=1EXiPi=1

Ah you're talking about probability - you really should have mentioned this since "The reasons for F(x) = 1" could have meant anything :smile:
Original post by notnek
Ah you're talking about probability - you really should have mentioned this since "The reasons for F(x) = 1" could have meant anything :smile:

It's a Capitol F and Edexcel so it only means one thing. Please stop posting unhelpful comments.
Original post by _gcx
No, it does not mean only one thing. (for example, it can be an antiderivative, one of a few functions like the Dawson function, etc.) There is more to mathematics than examinations :smile: (I've seen you apply the attitude that "the exam board or 'my textbook' says this, so it's true":wink:

thank you ;D

Not here, you haven't been reading the original post.

Quick Reply

Latest