The Student Room Group

Does Further Maths count as an A level?

Alright so apparently Unis dont accept further maths as an A level? Thats what my friend said anyway.

Basically, I currently do Maths Further Maths Economics Psychology , but my school have offered to let me drop psychology because I'm struggling and family issues blabla. Anyhow, I would like to do that except when I told my only friend he said thats dangerous because unis dont take Further Maths as an A level so they think you only did Maths and Economics? I don't know??? Is there no one that does 3 A levels including Further Maths?

Thanks for reading, Have a good day! :smile:
Don't know where they have got this information. Further maths is considered just as good or even better for some course requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glockaroo
Alright so apparently Unis dont accept further maths as an A level? Thats what my friend said anyway.

Basically, I currently do Maths Further Maths Economics Psychology , but my school have offered to let me drop psychology because I'm struggling and family issues blabla. Anyhow, I would like to do that except when I told my only friend he said thats dangerous because unis dont take Further Maths as an A level so they think you only did Maths and Economics? I don't know??? Is there no one that does 3 A levels including Further Maths?

It depends on the university and the course. My friend had 5 offers for Chemistry and he A Levels are chemistry, maths, further maths. Look on UCAS for some of the universities' course entry requirements for what you want to study and it'll tell you what is and isn't accepted.
Reply 3

It is definitely an A-level but whether it may count towards an offer depends on the cuniversity and course. However if you're looking to apply for a maths or economics degree it almost certainly would count, in fact be welcomed.
It's usually Medical schools that don't count FM as a disctinct A-Level. For maths/science/engineering degrees then Maths/FM would normally count as 2. However it's best to check the course requirements. What degree(s) are you considering?
I applied to medicine and am doing a further maths AS and most med schools say they only accept together if one taken to AS. Alll engineering, maths, physics and econ courses love it, in fact some require it
(edited 7 years ago)
Further maths is most definitely an A-level, as is Additional Further Maths (if your exam board allows it). Further maths is pretty much expected for any maths degree - Maths alone is insufficient.
Reply 7
Original post by mathsinsider
It's usually Medical schools that don't count FM as a disctinct A-Level. For maths/science/engineering degrees then Maths/FM would normally count as 2. However it's best to check the course requirements. What degree(s) are you considering?

Maths and Economics or Maths and Philosophy? or just Maths Pure.
Maths and Economics or Maths and Philosophy? or just Maths Pure.

Maths courses will be happy with Maths and FM plus another. I think Cambridge slightly prefers if you do physics as well, but Econ I think would be suitable anyway. For Maths and Econ it's probably the ideal set; dunno so much about Maths and Philo.
Reply 9
It's one of the hardest A levels so it's sure to count.

You shouldn't have a problem with maths, fm + 1 other with any science/engineering/economics degree (except LSE Econ). If you decide to do medicine or a humanities degree then some unis will feel that your subjects are too narrow.
Would taking maths,further maths and physics be too narrow of a choice? I either want to study finance or computer science at a top uni (Oxbridge,Lse, Imperial etc)

Original post by AAls
It's one of the hardest A levels so it's sure to count.

You shouldn't have a problem with maths, fm + 1 other with any science/engineering/economics degree (except LSE Econ). If you decide to do medicine or a humanities degree then some unis will feel that your subjects are too narrow.

Original post by TimGB
Further maths is most definitely an A-level, as is Additional Further Maths (if your exam board allows it). Further maths is pretty much expected for any maths degree - Maths alone is insufficient.

Original post by RichE
It is definitely an A-level but whether it may count towards an offer depends on the cuniversity and course. However if you're looking to apply for a maths or economics degree it almost certainly would count, in fact be welcomed.
Reply 11
Original post by CraigBackner
Would taking maths,further maths and physics be too narrow of a choice? I either want to study finance or computer science at a top uni (Oxbridge,Lse, Imperial etc)

That combination is fine (and not uncommon) for CompSci.
Reply 12

It's not too narrow a choice. What computing/programming experience do you have outside of A-levels?
Original post by Doonesbury
That combination is fine (and not uncommon) for CompSci.

Thanks it's a shame I didn't know this before because now I have to do maths,further maths, physics, economics and an epq which seems like the workload will be to much. Is there still time to change it (as I'm in year 11)
Reply 14
Thanks it's a shame I didn't know this before because now I have to do maths,further maths, physics, economics and an epq which seems like the workload will be to much. Is there still time to change it (as I'm in year 11)

That's up to you and your school. Some schools do ask pupils doing Maths & FM to have 2 other A-levels, but not normally also having an EPQ too.

Discuss it with your school and either drop one of your A-levels or the EPQ (or both).

3 A-levels is sufficient for most courses at most universities - including Cambridge. It's quality not quantity that matters.
I'm in year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics and I want to study maths or maths with business/economics at a top uni. However, the workload is huge and I'm really struggling in physics, I don't enjoy it and my grades are awful at the moment.

I did 4 A levels because lots of people have told me in the past that further maths didn't count as a separate a level to maths and my school pressurized me to do the extra a level in case I didn't choose maths.

I really want to drop physics, i have some internal exams coming up that our predicted grades are based on and I know that I won't do very well at all. Would it be better to just drop physics so that I can concentrate on my other subjects and get better grades or should I stick with it and attempt to do better physics?
Original post by lilymarston
I'm in year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics and I want to study maths or maths with business/economics at a top uni. However, the workload is huge and I'm really struggling in physics, I don't enjoy it and my grades are awful at the moment.

I did 4 A levels because lots of people have told me in the past that further maths didn't count as a separate a level to maths and my school pressurized me to do the extra a level in case I didn't choose maths.

I really want to drop physics, i have some internal exams coming up that our predicted grades are based on and I know that I won't do very well at all. Would it be better to just drop physics so that I can concentrate on my other subjects and get better grades or should I stick with it and attempt to do better physics?
OMG this is literally me right now! I did really good in GCSE physics and thought I could handle A level physics as well (I do the same subjects as you btw). But now I just want to drop it (I'm in Y12 and I can drop a subject if i want at the end of the year). Since it's been almost a year and a half since you posted this, do you think it's a good idea for me to drop physics if i want to study finance at a top uni?
Reply 17
Original post by koala_prime
OMG this is literally me right now! I did really good in GCSE physics and thought I could handle A level physics as well (I do the same subjects as you btw). But now I just want to drop it (I'm in Y12 and I can drop a subject if i want at the end of the year). Since it's been almost a year and a half since you posted this, do you think it's a good idea for me to drop physics if i want to study finance at a top uni?

Physics isn't required, or preferred, for "finance" at any university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Physics isn't required, or preferred, for "finance" at any university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. but will I be less prioritised in anyway if I drop physics and only do 3 subjects?
Reply 19
Original post by koala_prime
Fair enough. but will I be less prioritised in anyway if I drop physics and only do 3 subjects?

No

Quick Reply

Latest