The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Accounting and Management - Reading Uni

Is anyone thinking of studying accounting and management at Reading?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ashley1424

It's a Great Course! :wink:

If you have any questions about the Course please feel free to ask!

Mark :smile:
Final Year - Accounting and Management
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
In your first year, how long would you say that you were in lectures? In terms of a day
In your first year, how long would you say that you were in lectures? In terms of a day

Hi Ashley,
It does depend on the modules you pick - generally speaking its between 12-15 hours per week. You would always have Wednesday afternoon's off however your day can vary from having just a 2 hour lecture on a Monday to a filled day on a Thursday.

Final Year Accounting and Management
Original post by UniofReading
It's a Great Course! :wink:

If you have any questions about the Course please feel free to ask!

Final Year - Accounting and Management

Hi Mark,

I have applied for the same course, but with a placement year. Would you recommend the course with or without the placement year?

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

I am!! I've applied already and I was accepted. Have you applied?
Reply 6
Does the first year count towards the overall course?
Original post by jutla91
Does the first year count towards the overall course?

Hi :smile:

At Reading the first year of uni doesn't count towards your overall degree mark. You need to get 40% at the end of first year in order to progress onto second year. Also you want to do as well as you can as this Is often a good indicator as to how well you will perform in second and third year.

Any further questions feel free to ask!

Sophie
Second year Philosophy student :smile:
Reply 8
Not related completely- But do you recommend doing ICAEW's ACA over a degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trevish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I don't know that much about ICAEW's accounting qualification! Most accounting firms and many other businesses would like prospective employees to have a degree as it shows that you have enhanced your learning on a particular subject for three or more years. This will be the foundation of your knowledge. You probably can take the accounting exams without a degree, (I don't know this for sure! Or what previous qualifications they want you to have!) However, if you are not successful, having a degree is something good to fall back on.
Many people have a degree in something unrelated to accounting and then after they have graduated take the exams to become an accountant as they have decided that they want to do this as a career.
So the short answer is I cannot tell you which is the right path. I can only recommend that having a degree is a great qualification in itself and it being something you are interested in.
For example you could apply to an accounting and finance degree and then decide that being an accountant is what you want to do and have that foundation of knowledge in order to take the ACA exams.
I'm not a business studies student, I can only tell you what I know- having a degree is something really good to in order to help you make decisions about what career path.

Hope this was some help! Any further questions feel free to ask.

Sophie
Original post by UniofReading

Sorry I don't know that much about ICAEW's accounting qualification! Most accounting firms and many other businesses would like prospective employees to have a degree as it shows that you have enhanced your learning on a particular subject for three or more years. This will be the foundation of your knowledge. You probably can take the accounting exams without a degree, (I don't know this for sure! Or what previous qualifications they want you to have!) However, if you are not successful, having a degree is something good to fall back on.
Many people have a degree in something unrelated to accounting and then after they have graduated take the exams to become an accountant as they have decided that they want to do this as a career.
So the short answer is I cannot tell you which is the right path. I can only recommend that having a degree is a great qualification in itself and it being something you are interested in.
For example you could apply to an accounting and finance degree and then decide that being an accountant is what you want to do and have that foundation of knowledge in order to take the ACA exams.
I'm not a business studies student, I can only tell you what I know- having a degree is something really good to in order to help you make decisions about what career path.

Hope this was some help! Any further questions feel free to ask.

Sophie

Okay
I'm already doing Accounting at A level and from Mauritius.
Apparently whem I finish ACA, it's equiv to a Masters( Lvl7)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trevish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Trevish
Okay
I'm already doing Accounting at A level and from Mauritius.
Apparently whem I finish ACA, it's equiv to a Masters( Lvl7)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very good question and before coming to Uni I did ask myself the same question. Having about to complete my degree and currently an ICAEW Campus Ambassador I can give you a thorough insight into it:

The ACA qualification is composed of multiple components:

15 Examinations in Finance, Accounting and Business and Law

450 working days of work experience with an Authorised Training Employer (ATE)

Ethics and Professionalism Scepticism module

Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

There are a variety of routes you complete this such as:

School Leaver Programme

Graduate Programme

Independent Student*

*You can complete 14 of the 15 ACA exams, however you will not be able to complete the other components until you are employed by an ATE nor the 15th Exam (Case Study) till your 450 working days of work experience is completed.

I have friends that are completing the ACA qualification through various routes, and it certainly is down to your personal preference and to some extent the life-style choice you wish to have. There is a myth that one route is faster than another, although the ACA designation may come quicker through one way; you will move up the ranks much more quickly through another.

Having been through the process, I can explain the advantages of going to University then completing your ACA qualification upon graduating:

Accredited Modules
A number of the modules at Henley Business School are accredited by ICAEW, this will allow you claim Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) once you enter into an ACA Training agreement. You will normally need a pass rate of 50% for Certificate Level and 55% at Professional Level to claim CPL

At present** through the Accounting programmes at Henley Business School you can claim CPL for the following modules:

Accounting

Assurance

Business and Finance

Law

Management Information

Principles of Tax

Financial Management

* Once you enter a training agreement, your employer are not obliged to apply for CPL if they or you do not feel you are fully competent in any module(s). Further, you may be asked to complete a Mock paper to test your knowledge before-hand.

** As at May 2017

1 Year Placement

All our courses at Henley Business School can become a 4-year sandwich course that allow you to undertake a Placement in industry in your third year. This allows you to gain valuable work experience, but also apply technical skills in practice with what you have learnt at Certificate Level.

* You may also be entitled to claim Credit for Prior Work Experience (CPWE) to reduce the 450 working days once you enter your Training Contract. Note this needs to be agreed BEFORE you sign.

Also, depending on the type of placement/service-line you undertake you may be entitled to complete one of the following accredited modules at Henley Business School in your final year. This is currently at the discretion of the Programme Director:

Tax Compliance

Audit and Assurance

Further, you’ll undertake a variety of modules at Uni that will help you learn how to write both academically and professionally and this will help you in the world of work and also when you complete the final 3 Advanced Examinations (Corporate Reporting, Strategic Business Management and Case Study).

Just to finish off about the perks of Uni, it’s more than just what happens in Lecture theatres or that final grade you receive. You learn a lot about yourself, other people (especially when you have to live with random people for the first time), meeting, working and collaborating with others from various backgrounds, challenging yourself, cherishing the achievements and learning from your mistakes. It’s a safe environment that allows you to explore so many different things and gives you incredible exposure to what is on offer out there.

If you are looking for a Fast Track into Chartered Accountancy and the ‘best of both worlds’ do look at the BA Accounting and Business (PwC Flying Start programme):

4 Year degree, Year 1 Full Time at Henley Business School, 2/3/4 Year (Term 1 Studying, Term 2 on Placement with PwC)

12 ACA Exemptions

If you graduate with a 2:1 then you offered a job with PwC in the service line of your choice

1 Further Year of Study/Work to complete the Final 3 examinations and remainder days if needed

* As at May 2017

I hope this answers your question :smile:
- Mark
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
With other universities they sometimes recycle old exam papers and so I wanted to know if this is the case for Reading or there are new papers every year.
Original post by jutla
With other universities they sometimes recycle old exam papers and so I wanted to know if this is the case for Reading or there are new papers every year.

It depends on the module, if the Module Convenor is the same person as the year before, there could be similarities but not always identical.

Particularly in Accounting we follow the ICAEW Intended Learning Objectives (ILO) so the exam structure may be similiar each year for example in Tax:
- MCQ in all parts of the syllabus
- Income Tax Question
- Corporation Tax Question

Hope this helps!
does anyone know how many ICAEW exemptions the BA in Accounting and Management at the University of Reading offers?
Hi,

The BA Accounting and Management course gives you 12 of the 15 modules you would need for the ICAEW accreditation.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best Wishes,
Ben
Original post by ehab2014
does anyone know how many ICAEW exemptions the BA in Accounting and Management at the University of Reading offers?

Accounting and Management can give you 7 exemptions, if you select the appropriate electives.

- Accounting
- Assurance
- Business, Finance and Technology
- Principles of Taxation
- Management Information
- Law
- Financial Management

If you do a placement in an accounting firm the Programme Director may allow you to sit Audit and Assurance or Tax Compliance depending on the service line you go into.

The Flying Start programme would give you 12 exemptions, but those modules aren’t open to students due to the stringent rules ICAEW has with the university on the “Golden 4 papers”

From someone that graduated at Reading on this programme last year, my advice don’t worry about exemptions, make decisions on modules based on your own interest, as some firms will make you re-do the papers even if you get 50%+
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by mark.s__
Accounting and Management can give you 7 exemptions, if you select the appropriate electives.

- Accounting
- Assurance
- Business, Finance and Technology
- Principles of Taxation
- Management Information
- Law
- Financial Management

If you do a placement in an accounting firm the Programme Director may allow you to sit Audit and Assurance or Tax Compliance depending on the service line you go into.

The Flying Start programme would give you 12 exemptions, but those modules aren’t open to students due to the stringent rules ICAEW has with the university on the “Golden 4 papers”

From someone that graduated at Reading on this programme last year, my advice don’t worry about exemptions, make decisions on modules based on your own interest, as some firms will make you re-do the papers even if you get 50%+

Thank you very much for all the information.

I just got an offer from University of Reading for BSc Accounting and Finance course in adjustment. So any idea how is it as compared to the course you studied?

Moreover, for someone who wants to pursue CA afterwards, which course would be better, the Accounting and Management or the Accounting and Finance?

Thanks
Original post by ehab2014
Thank you very much for all the information.

I just got an offer from University of Reading for BSc Accounting and Finance course in adjustment. So any idea how is it as compared to the course you studied?

Moreover, for someone who wants to pursue CA afterwards, which course would be better, the Accounting and Management or the Accounting and Finance?

Thanks

Congrats on your offer!

Accounting and Finance looks more into City finance, how you fund a business, assess credit risk and make informed investment decisions. There are accounting modules to ensure you understand the core principles of accounting.

Accounting and Management covers a wider spectrum of modules allowing you to tailor modules exactly to your key strengths particularly in final year.

HBS are pretty good that if you decide A&F isn’t for you you can switch to A&M in 2nd year without doing first year again.

Just checking if you meant CA or CFA?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by mark.s__
Congrats on your offer!

Accounting and Finance looks more into City finance, how you fund a business, assess credit risk and make informed investment decisions. There are accounting modules to ensure you understand the core principles of accounting.

Accounting and Management covers a wider spectrum of modules allowing you to tailor modules exactly to your key strengths particularly in final year.

HBS are pretty good that if you decide A&F isn’t for you you can switch to A&M in 2nd year without doing first year again.

Just checking if you meant CA or CFA?

Thank you.

So you are saying that Accounting and Management kinda gives students more flexibility and freedom in choosing modules and pathway while the Accounting and Finance course has more focus in the field of finance. However, both are accounting degrees, so they must be equally valuable, right?

Also I was talking about the Chartered Accounting CA.

Regards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending