The Student Room Group

Best way to memorise quotes?

For the literature exams (GCSE, exam board is WJEC) there are 18 poems, An Inspector Calls, Jekyll and Hyde and a Shakespeare play (for me it is The Merchant of Venice). I'm pretty confident with the content, themes and characters of the books and plays. My issue is with learning quotes, and all of the poems.

Does anyone have any advice about how to best select quotes, especially from the poems? Learning the themes now won't be too hard, but how should I decide what quotes to use? How many quotes should I learn for each poem and story/play? What's the best way of learning them?

Thank you in advance for any help, it is most appreciated,
Original post by mueslii
For the literature exams (GCSE, exam board is WJEC) there are 18 poems, An Inspector Calls, Jekyll and Hyde and a Shakespeare play (for me it is The Merchant of Venice). I'm pretty confident with the content, themes and characters of the books and plays. My issue is with learning quotes, and all of the poems.

Does anyone have any advice about how to best select quotes, especially from the poems? Learning the themes now won't be too hard, but how should I decide what quotes to use? How many quotes should I learn for each poem and story/play? What's the best way of learning them?

Thank you in advance for any help, it is most appreciated,

Hi :smile:

I think learning a few (3 maybe 4) for each poem wouldn't be a bad idea to aim for. Have you tried using a whiteboard and writing them out a few times or erasing a word or two until there are only a few key ones to jog your memory? Pick quotes that you could use in a variety of scenarios and if you do, you might not need as many :smile:
Keep 'em short. It's easier to remember a few key words than great long quotes. Remember that you can feed short quotes into a sentence more easily as well. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending