The Student Room Group
Original post by Jonymielony
Hi guys!

I am looking for an interesting topic for my Math exploration. I would like it to be a quite decent topic as I really want to have a good grade and it would be awesome for me to write about something connected with economics. I think that calculus or modelling of fuction might be suitable topics for me, but I can't really find anything good. Can someone help me or send some inspirations?

Thanks

I studied both higher lever maths and economics and did my maths IA on economics. I used partial differentials and the Lagrangian multiplier to find different ways to algebraically model a utility function, an idea I derived from Consumer demand theory an economic concept.

Doing your maths exploration on economics is difficult. There are topics you can do, but won't be challenging enough e.g. Gini coefficients, or too hard e.g. in my case. All the maths and economics used were not taught in school - I learnt all of it by myself, and it was not easy.

I wouldn't do the exploration on economics unless I were insistent. In which case, some ideas:

- modelling theory of production, including finding an optimum combination of labour capital and land in production

- oligopolic market structures; research Cournot and his research on duopolies.

- econmetrics and statistical models. There are plenty of statistical methods that are advanced.

All the best
Reply 2
I know this is from a while ago but I was wondering if I could maybe see your IA. It sounds really interesting
Reply 3
Hi. The post is an old one, but I suppose a lot of students struggle to find a good topic and to get a high grade on Math IA. Here is some guidance you may find useful. There can be a lot of good ideas, but it very much depends on your preferences and strengths. But no matter what the topic is about and whether you are super good and interested in math or not, you can get at least a mark 6/7, if you follow certain guidelines, including but not limited to perfect presentation, clear formulae, exact structure, logical development of the ideas, personal approach to the work(i.e. the topic/problem might be a full repetition, but it should at least be presented using a personalized approach. But of course working out something yourself is the best and this is what secures the grade 7), etc. Always try to make the relevant graphs, diagrams, tables, other pictures, etc. by yourself and try to make the work your own. Present everything from your angle.

Also, check out a recent article/blog on tips for IB Math HL and SL explorations by visiting the following website www. ibmathtutor.org/ib-math-exploration-tips They also provide online 1-1 guidance, which I would very much recommend. It's 50 dollars(approximately 39.7 pounds) per hour, but in 3-4 hours you will get all you need for writing a perfect exploration. They in fact provide much more than general comments, guidance. You will have a clear topic, clear steps for each part of your exploration(so that you are simply left with writing the work carefully following the guidance) and tons of advice to secure a perfect score. You will also be provided a free detailed review of your draft work whenever you finish, so as to make sure all the criteria are met.
Original post by andrewl123
I studied both higher lever maths and economics and did my maths IA on economics. I used partial differentials and the Lagrangian multiplier to find different ways to algebraically model a utility function, an idea I derived from Consumer demand theory an economic concept.

Doing your maths exploration on economics is difficult. There are topics you can do, but won't be challenging enough e.g. Gini coefficients, or too hard e.g. in my case. All the maths and economics used were not taught in school - I learnt all of it by myself, and it was not easy.

I wouldn't do the exploration on economics unless I were insistent. In which case, some ideas:

- modelling theory of production, including finding an optimum combination of labour capital and land in production

- econmetrics and statistical models. There are plenty of statistical methods that are advanced.

All the best

Hello,
I have been struggling since quite a while to choose a math hl topic, your topic seems quite interesting. I have chosen math hl and economics hl as well. If you could send me a copy a copy of you Math hl IA, it would be of great help.

Thank you so much!
Hello, I am currently in grade 12 and I am willing to do my Math AA HL IA on a topic similar to yours. Do you mind sharing your IA, please? It would be very helpful to me.Thank You for your efforts and for considering my plea.
Original post by username1987081

All the best

Hey, I'm really interested in your IA idea. Is it fine if you could send it to me?

Latest

Trending

Trending