The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissDetermined
Thanks :smile: went on a mahoosive roundabout, the kind that is as big as a small island and has a 40mph speed limit :/ It felt a bit scary going 30 something on a roundabout especially since I had to change lanes and some guy who was speeding nearly cut me up! I usually go first exit on this particular roundabout but went 4th this time. Knowing my luck I'll get it tomorrow XD

I have a dreaded roundabout in my area. I got the hang of it because my instrucor always tells me to take the same exit every time. On my test, I got told to take the 4th exit too and I was like :colonhash: because I thought I would muck it up bc that roundabout is really weird and doesn't follow the same rules as most roundabouts do. Some of my friends who drive purposely avoid that roundabout and take the long route because it's that confusing lol

What manouvere are you hoping for?
Original post by cherryred90s
I have a dreaded roundabout in my area. I got the hang of it because my instrucor always tells me to take the same exit every time. On my test, I got told to take the 4th exit too and I was like :colonhash: because I thought I would muck it up bc that roundabout is really weird and doesn't follow the same rules as most roundabouts do. Some of my friends who drive purposely avoid that roundabout and take the long route because it's that confusing lol

What manouvere are you hoping for?

Argh I know right, If I fail because of a roundabout again I'm going to flip haha. You did well to go on it! There are so many awkward roundabouts in my area. My instructor said there's 27 different test routes, so I've got little chance of getting the same one as last time. I think I'm most confident with doing a turn in the road and bayparking. I've got better at parallel parking. I don't want reverse around the corner!
Mines pretty similar.
First test I blabbed and told everyone and their mother. So it was kind of sad that I then had to tell everyone I failed -_-
Second test I told just family. Failed again!
Third test I told nobody except my sister found out on the morning of my test but I made her swear to secrecy not to tell anyone because I really wasn't expecting to pass to be honest. This was the first test where I had a chief examiner sitting in the back along with the examiner sat in the passenger seat. I'm still surprised that I passed. But yeah, were both 3rd time passes lol
& yep I told everyone when I passed too lol

Aw fair enough :redface:

When I had my 2nd attempt, I had someone sit in observing the examiner, guessing it might of been the chief examiner, that made me so nervous it was literally the worst drive ever :lol:

Lol yep 3rd time lucky for us both :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Argh I know right, If I fail because of a roundabout again I'm going to flip haha. You did well to go on it! There are so many awkward roundabouts in my area. My instructor said there's 27 different test routes, so I've got little chance of getting the same one as last time. I think I'm most confident with doing a turn in the road and bayparking. I've got better at parallel parking. I don't want reverse around the corner!

Yeah when I had my 3 attempts, I had 3 different examiners and 3 different routes :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You failed last time because of the roundabout? I had a turn in the road for my first test and I messed it up so bad. Got reverse around the corner for my last test and managed to do it perfectly fine :s-smilie: weird because I know that when I get a car, I won't be able to reverse around a corner lol
You failed last time because of the roundabout? I had a turn in the road for my first test and I messed it up so bad. Got reverse around the corner for my last test and managed to do it perfectly fine :s-smilie: weird because I know that when I get a car, I won't be able to reverse around a corner lol

I changed lanes too early in a moment of panic and probably didnt look and signal properly. I know I looked but I didnt indicate so that failed me as other drivers didnt know my intentions. I just need to remember that if i go the wrong way as long as I do it safely itll be fine. I try to do my manoevers as quick as I can in lessons but ill take more time tomorrow. I guess in your car you can go out and practice maneovers until you're confident? I bet you'll be fine! :smile:

I had turn in the road on my first test too which got me failed - just as I was ready to reverse back, the road I was on was flat but slightly curved so what I should've done was add a bit of gas, found the biting point then released the hand break, but for some reason (guessing it was my nerves) my brain didn't register that I had to do this, so I went straight for the clutch and break and kept stalling so the examiner had to intervene and help. I was quite annoyed with myself as had I have done it without the examiner intervening, I would've passed 1st time :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, just an update on the pass plus situation! I've driven about 4 hours today. (I have about 2 hours left, which I might doing on Friday). I've driven all way to Preston and back and have been on all types of roads.

I can finally say I've driven on a motorway and I can honestly say they aren't as bad as I thought they were gonna be! I've driven on country lanes (I hated it) and I been on some pretty confusing roundabouts! (Even a square one).

I'd say I've definitely been out of my comfort zone today, but I can honestly say I've enjoyed it. Also, even though it was my first time with this driving instructor, he was so nice, funny and friendly! Kinda wish I had him for my lessons as a learner. I've learnt so much today and I'd recommend it to anyone!!
Original post by shanj0nes
So, just an update on the pass plus situation! I've driven about 4 hours today. (I have about 2 hours left, which I might doing on Friday). I've driven all way to Preston and back and have been on all types of roads.

I can finally say I've driven on a motorway and I can honestly say they aren't as bad as I thought they were gonna be! I've driven on country lanes (I hated it) and I been on some pretty confusing roundabouts! (Even a square one).

I'd say I've definitely been out of my comfort zone today, but I can honestly say I've enjoyed it. Also, even though it was my first time with this driving instructor, he was so nice, funny and friendly! Kinda wish I had him for my lessons as a learner. I've learnt so much today and I'd recommend it to anyone!!

Ah that's great!
Yeah I totally understand it being out of your comfort zone. I feel like it would be the same with me when I do it
Maybe third time guys...
Maybe third time guys...

Oh no! Sorry to hear :hugs:!

Hopefully it'll be 3rd time lucky for you :smile: (it was 3rd time lucky for me - so fingers crossed for you next time) :biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Ah that's great!
Yeah I totally understand it being out of your comfort zone. I feel like it would be the same with me when I do it

Honestly it's so worth it though! :smile:
Maybe third time guys...

Aw no! I passed third time lucky! You'll smash it next time!!! :smile:
Original post by shanj0nes
Aw no! I passed third time lucky! You'll smash it next time!!! :smile:

Snap I passed 3rd time lucky. As I've been told, you're a safer driver if you've had to take more than one attempt at the practical :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks guys :smile: I guess taking 3 goes is really common!
Approaching roundabouts especially with heavy traffic. Anyone else ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
Approaching roundabouts especially with heavy traffic. Anyone else ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I feel the same way.
Thanks guys :smile: I guess taking 3 goes is really common!

Seems to be lol
Anyone else struggle with parallel park?

I just can't do it :frown:
Original post by itzconnorx
Anyone else struggle with parallel park?

I just can't do it :frown:

I was taught to steer once to the left when your wing mirrors are aligned with theirs. Reverse and keep an eye on your left door mirror. When it looks as if your door handle is touching the kerb, do one turn to the right. Then keep reversing until the front of your car makes a point with the back of theirs, that's when you do one steer to the right again, and continue to reverse. At this point, you should be coming in parallel to the car in front. Once you are parallel, one full turn to the left and voila. Hope that wasn't too confusing :colonhash:

Drive johnsons video on YouTube gives you a visual of what I mean

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending