The Student Room Group

It is more acceptable for men to cheat.

bump

Scroll to see replies

No one should cheat. Man or woman.
"My point being that women lose their value as a person if they cheat whereas men gain value from cheating"

how much do i have to pay you to never speak again????
Reply 3
How much you wanna bet OP is under 16
Not in my opinion

Original post by basiclogic
But a man cheating is more acceptable.
This should be an interesting thread since OP has a point, 'cheating' is a social construct.
Reply 6
Original post by KFrostMU
Not in the majority of people with any ounce of common sense's opinion

FTFY
Reply 7
Im not

How old are you?
Social norms such as this suck but i dont think anyone should be condoned acceptable to cheat based on male or female. But i agree its bs that its the case. apparently

It's a fact if you accept social norms. If you don't then you're also accepting that cheating is harmless.
Well although i dont know anyone who has cheated but i agree its bad that something like that is excusable.

Im not saying its acceptable, rather that one is more excusable
its not even okay for men to cheat either :colonhash:

@Lychee627
Reply 11
The fact that in a court room, the woman is almost always favoured over the man should say enough. You're 17 man you should know at least this much.
It has been proven that men are not wired to be monogamous so you get the cheating.
I would say their is more of a reason for men to cheat as we are more the more sexual gender as we have to desire to get laid and that feeling is still present in are 30s,40s and 50s.
Original post by tasha_tah
its not even okay for men to cheat either :colonhash:

@Lychee627

For anyone to cheat is bad tbh :redface:
Now let me just make it clear that I do not condone any form of cheating.However in a hypothetical situation where we choose the lesser of two evils, I think it is more excusable for a man to cheat. Here is why:

Biologically and socially, men and women have different roles. Men play the stereotypical masculine role which ranges from protecting the family to providing for the family. Consequently, cheating can be seen as a way of showing dominance over other men and ensuring that their genes take up a greater proportion of the gene pool. However more crucially, women have a feminine role which means they are a mother to children and they are loyal and monogamous. My point being that women lose their value as a person if they cheat whereas men gain value from cheating. Of course due to social convention and change in norms, mostly because of the sexual revolution these roles have become distorted. However the idea that a cheating woman is more undesirable than a cheating man still applies.

Discuss this fact.

The problem with the evolutionary argument which you seem to be using is that it can be suited to any point. For example, it is more acceptable for a woman to cheat because they have greater hormonal fluctuations. This means they are more prone to doing impulsive, not thought out things like cheating.

Also, having been prepared for child caring, women have a house-bound role traditionally. They are restricted in how far they can go and how many people they can meet. This restricted their social growth and understanding of men's attitudes and behaviours. This makes them more gullible and more impressionable. Especially to the charmes of another male who is looking for a mate.

The fertility window of women is considerably shorter than men's. Men have reproductive value from puberty to death. Women on the other hand have optimal chances for a small proportion of the month when she ovulates. Further this is decreased by 9 months of gestation PER CHILD and even more so as she can only get pregnant between puberty and menopause (50s-60s). Infertility begins to set in much sooner at about 40s. All this considered, the woman needs to have as much sex as possible to spread her genes in the gene pool which is the ultimate goal for both. If her man isn't around, or can't get her pregnant or can't keep up then she needs to cheat.

I don't think cheating is justifiable for anyone ever but argument like these are pointless because they can be tailored to suit ones needs and I just wanted to show how.
Reply 15
Men that cheat are usually very egotistical and need that being wanted by numerous women to feel some self worth. The reason why some people feel it's worse for a woman is just plain sexism. The woman is inferior to the man so should stay faithful otherwise she is dirt. If a man goes out sleeping with numerous women on a weekend he's a lad....a girl does it she's filth. It's just sexism at its finest. No one should cheat and it's not acceptable regardless of sex. If you're not happy just leave
Original post by Lychee627
For anyone to cheat is bad tbh :redface:

PRSOM
I think it is more excusable for a man to cheat.

Biologically and socially, men and women have different roles. Men play the stereotypical masculine role which ranges from protecting the family to providing for the family. Consequently, cheating can be seen as a way of showing dominance over other men and ensuring that their genes take up a greater proportion of the gene pool. However more crucially, women have a feminine role which means they are a mother to children and they are loyal and monogamous. My point being that women lose their value as a person if they cheat whereas men gain value from cheating. Of course due to social convention and change in norms, mostly because of the sexual revolution these roles have become distorted. However the idea that a cheating woman is more undesirable than a cheating man still applies.

Discuss this fact.

So what you are really saying is:

"Women: KNOW YOUR LIMITS! In thought be pure and simple and let your natural sweetness shine through."
Anyone who cheats is outright selfish and should not be with their partner.
Original post by GUMI
How much you wanna bet OP is under 16

How much you wanna bet the OP is trolling? lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending