The Student Room Group

Would I get into Uni to study Economics with these subjects and grades?

Hello, this is my first post and I would really appreciate it if any uni offer holders or indeed, people going to uni can advice me on this.

Basically, I'm in Yr 12 and I'm currently doing four A levels (and General Studies): Maths, Politics, History and Chinese. When I was picking my A-levels, I wasn't sure about what course I would like to do at uni so I just picked facilitating subjects like Maths and History, as well as Politics and Chinese, which I was interested in.

However, now I'm really sure about what course I would like to study at Uni - Economics - but when I was doing research about this course, I found out that something like 69% of the people who got offers to study economics took A level Economics and many did math based subjects like Physics and Chemistry, would I be in a disadvantaged position if I didn't take A level Economics and I did only one Math based subject (which is Maths)?

I'm aiming at getting 4 A* and I really want to go to LSE or UCL, I would be extremely gracious if anyone who is studying (or has an offer) Economics at those two Unis could help me! Thank you!
Original post by uuu201
Hello, this is my first post and I would really appreciate it if any uni offer holders or indeed, people going to uni can advice me on this.

Basically, I'm in Yr 12 and I'm currently doing four A levels (and General Studies): Maths, Politics, History and Chinese. When I was picking my A-levels, I wasn't sure about what course I would like to do at uni so I just picked facilitating subjects like Maths and History, as well as Politics and Chinese, which I was interested in.

However, now I'm really sure about what course I would like to study at Uni - Economics - but when I was doing research about this course, I found out that something like 69% of the people who got offers to study economics took A level Economics and many did math based subjects like Physics and Chemistry, would I be in a disadvantaged position if I didn't take A level Economics and I did only one Math based subject (which is Maths)?

I'm aiming at getting 4 A* and I really want to go to LSE or UCL, I would be extremely gracious if anyone who is studying (or has an offer) Economics at those two Unis could help me! Thank you!

Most uni's that offer economics state that a Maths A level (at least a B grade) is required above all other subjects. It would help if you did do an economics a level, however it is not compulsory like Maths is as you start from the basics at Uni anyway. Other math based subjects such as sciences are not required.
Reply 3
A friend of mine took Politics, History, Economics and Philosophy at A Level (can't remember which subject he dropped, if any) and he's just coming to the end of his first year studying Economics at LSE.

So I think you should be fine as long as you get good grades and show a clear interest/passion for economics within your application.

Hope this helps!
Original post by jaackb98
A friend of mine took Politics, History, Economics and Philosophy at A Level (can't remember which subject he dropped, if any) and he's just coming to the end of his first year studying Economics at LSE.

So I think you should be fine as long as you get good grades and show a clear interest/passion for economics within your application.

Hope this helps!

Did he do BA Economics by any chance? Maths is relatively compulsory for A levels for BSC economics especially.
Reply 5
Original post by uuu201

Hey, I have an offer to study Economics and Philosophy at LSE. Maths is usually the only pre-requisite for studying Economics so I wouldn't worry too much. However, do ensure that you have a sound understanding of economics and some economic theories. Read books like Poor Economics by Banjeree and Dufflo as well as The Undercover Economist by Harford. Make sure this economic understanding is extremely clear in your personal statement to alleviate any doubts those unis may have. Look up exemplary Economic personal statements online so you can see how to integrate this knowledge.

Your target grades are amazing, go you!!
Reply 6
Original post by jaackb98

Hope this helps!

WOW that's really helpful! Thank you! But isn't Math compulsory though (for Bsc Economics)?
Reply 7
Original post by Estarrre
Hey, I have an offer to study Economics and Philosophy at LSE. Maths is usually the only pre-requisite for studying Economics so I wouldn't worry too much. However, do ensure that you have a sound understanding of economics and some economic theories. Read books like Poor Economics by Banjeree and Dufflo as well as The Undercover Economist by Harford. Make sure this economic understanding is extremely clear in your personal statement to alleviate any doubts those unis may have. Look up exemplary Economic personal statements online so you can see how to integrate this knowledge.

Your target grades are amazing, go you!!

Thank you so much! Hope you'd enjoy your study at LSE!

I do have a genuine interest of Economics and I've read introductory books and even books like "Capitalism in the 21st century", but I've been worry about this and I so regret not taking A level Economics as I found the subject to be so interesting and the teacher at my school was so nice as well...
Reply 8
Original post by uuu201
Thank you so much! Hope you'd enjoy your study at LSE!

I do have a genuine interest of Economics and I've read introductory books and even books like "Capitalism in the 21st century", but I've been worry about this and I so regret not taking A level Economics as I found the subject to be so interesting and the teacher at my school was so nice as well...

Have you thought about applying for PPE at Oxford? That's where I'm going and what I'll be studying (had to decline LSE :frown: ). Your subjects are well suited to the course
Reply 9
Original post by Estarrre
Have you thought about applying for PPE at Oxford? That's where I'm going and what I'll be studying (had to decline LSE :frown: ). Your subjects are well suited to the course

WOW that's amazing. Well done!

Um...I did think about it and I'm planning to go to the open day at Oxford to check it out. But tbh I don't really like philosophy, although I do find it to be interesting.

Would you mind if I ask for your A level options as well?
Original post by uuu201
WOW that's amazing. Well done!

Um...I did think about it and I'm planning to go to the open day at Oxford to check it out. But tbh I don't really like philosophy, although I do find it to be interesting.

Would you mind if I ask for your A level options as well?

Ah, fair enough (and thank you :smile: ). I'm currently studying Economics, Maths and Philosophy with an AS in Physics
Original post by RevisionGuide
Most uni's that offer economics state that a Maths A level (at least a B grade) is required above all other subjects. It would help if you did do an economics a level, however it is not compulsory like Maths is as you start from the basics at Uni anyway. Other math based subjects such as sciences are not required.

Good luck with B in A Level Maths or a 5 in IB HL maths. No chance of getting into LSE.
LSE for pure econ want a 7 for IB HL or A* for A level and for accounting and finance A A level or 6 IB HL
Reply 12
Original post by basiclogic
90% of students will have economics a level at LSE, and their results will be similar to yours. While everyone here is going to say that you can do it, i'll be honest and say that unless you have something very special you have no chance at top unis especially with Politics and Chinese.

Thank you for the honesty!

Would work experience at a bank and shadowing an accountant, as well as EPQ in economics and writing blogs about economics help me getting through the application successfully? Thank you again!
Reply 13
Original post by basiclogic
Dont bother mentioning the work experience nonsense, it's all unrelated. Yes, an EPQ will help and blogs too. But a lack of economics a level means that theres no real way of unis knowing that you have a strong grasp of economics. An EPQ will help, but you really need to find a way to show that you're very good at economics. Other students fulfil this criteria with high AS grades and A*/A predictions, you're going to have to find something to put on your personal statement that puts you on the same level. It's one thing claiming to be "passionate" and reading a bunch of books, its a whole other thing showing that you're ready for the heavy mathematical/economical content that demanding courses like LSE offer, especially when both further maths and economics is "recommended" and you dont have either.

So that's your task. honestly, I think its too much of an undertaking when you're already at an objective disadvantage. Im not here to kill your dreams and you can certainly study economics at uni but LSE is a completely different level.

Thank you for the advice! This is not "killing my dreams", this is a very brilliant advice of you! I'll consider carefully over the summer and then come to a conclusion as to whether I'd apply for Econ!

PS: did you study Economics at Uni (if you don't mind)?
With any Economics course - check the Maths/Statistics content of the course, and therefore if they want Maths at A level / Maths at GCSE and what grades.

Useful website is : www.whatuni.com Just entry Economics as a subject, then your predicted/likely grades and you'll get a long list of Unis. You will need to check on each individual Uni website for the grades/subjects they want, plus GCSE requirements.

And - from TSR - How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

PS. And its very rare for Economics courses to insist on A level Economics, simply because not all schools can offer it and so that would be very unfair/only get them one type of applicant, but a Social Science (Sociology, Politics, Law) would be useful background if you can do it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Honestly, you may struggle to get into LSE especially as you don't do further maths. I didn't get in but I was close and I believe this is why I didn't get in. No harm in trying though as you are unlikely not to get any offers from your 5 options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending