The Student Room Group

Raise money to finance 1st year of new degree

Hi

Could you give me ideas of what to do in order to raise enough money in under 2 years?

Thanks
Get a job, or win £18500.
Reply 2
Original post by MelaninOverload
Hi

Could you give me ideas of what to do in order to raise enough money in under 2 years?

Thanks

Full time work, or possibly an apprenticeship for a year or two (e.g. M&S marketing scheme).
Original post by kkboyk
Full time work, or possibly an apprenticeship for a year or two (e.g. M&S marketing scheme).

Thanks for replying!

I may also be doing a new set of A-levels too *sighs*

I currently have STEM A-levels and thinking of moving towards the Humanities/Modern Languages field.

Travel to the college I wish to apply to will incur extra fees and as I'm 19, not many places accept students for A-levels. Also, the ones that I've found don't offer languages and I don't know how I'd self teach a language.
Thanks for replying!

I may also be doing a new set of A-levels too *sighs*

I currently have STEM A-levels and thinking of moving towards the Humanities/Modern Languages field.

Travel to the college I wish to apply to will incur extra fees and as I'm 19, not many places accept students for A-levels. Also, the ones that I've found don't offer languages and I don't know how I'd self teach a language.

Bit confused, why would you do a new set of A levels? Why do you need to fund the first year of a degree yourself, can't you take out a loan? You don't need to do more A levels to study humanities/languages at university.
Original post by Snufkin
Bit confused, why would you do a new set of A levels? Why do you need to fund the first year of a degree yourself, can't you take out a loan? You don't need to do more A levels to study humanities/languages at university.

I spent two years doing an engineering degree and I really didn't like it. It's a lot more complicated than, just dropping out and changing course, I'd didn't know what degree I wanted to do. It's really complicated.

If I want to study a modern language, I need at least 1 modern language.
Plus I only have science/maths A-levels.

I only have 2 years of funding left, unless I get approved for CPR.
I spent two years doing an engineering degree and I really didn't like it. It's a lot more complicated than, just dropping out and changing course, I'd didn't know what degree I wanted to do. It's really complicated.

If I want to study a modern language, I need at least 1 modern language.
Plus I only have science/maths A-levels.

I only have 2 years of funding left, unless I get approved for CPR.

Ah, I see., so you've fallen victim to the ELQ student finance rules? That's a shame, if you aren't granted CPR (have you applied?) then your only option is to save the money somehow, or study abroad (a number of European universities do English-taught language degrees).

So you want to study more than one modern language? In that case, you are right, you will need to do an A level (or an equivalrnt qualification) in at least one of your chosen languages. Which languages do you want to study? This might be of interest, it's not an A level but it should be enough to satisfy modern language degree entry requirements: https://www.dundee.ac.uk/languages/courses/distancelearning/
Original post by Snufkin
Ah, I see., so you've fallen victim to the ELQ student finance rules? That's a shame, if you aren't granted CPR (have you applied?) then your only option is to save the money somehow, or study abroad (a number of European universities do English-taught language degrees).

So you want to study more than one modern language? In that case, you are right, you will need to do an A level (or an equivalrnt qualification) in at least one of your chosen languages. Which languages do you want to study? This might be of interest, it's not an A level but it should be enough to satisfy modern language degree entry requirements: https://www.dundee.ac.uk/languages/courses/distancelearning/

I appreciate your response.

What does ELQ mean? I researched it, but I'm still not 100% sure by what it meant. From what I understand, if you have some sort of undergraduate equivalent certificate you may be refused funding.

I've contacted universities about my situation, and they basically said that they would judge me mainly on the results of my new A-levels.

Modern languages at top 10 universities require you to have at least one A-level in a modern language, that's why I'm considering doing it. Also, I'm interested in French.

Thank you for the link, but I'm broke lool.

I'm trying to find free language classes or cheap ones in London/Essex that I can go to. Or even free online resources/apps.

Also, I haven't applied for CPR and I need to speak to someone at my university. There's an independent student organisation that helps students accused of misconduct etc so they should be able to help me.

Do you have any tips for applying for CPR? Or any advice for me pertaining to my situation?

Move to Scotland. I believe if you have lived here for more than 3 months you're eligible to get your fees paid for you at a Scottish University :tongue:

(Caveat: there was a paper put through on the quiet a year or so ago that hasn't had much media attention but I have a few English friends making use of it. Definitely do a bit of research on it!)
Original post by Friffinghell
Move to Scotland. I believe if you have lived here for more than 3 months you're eligible to get your fees paid for you at a Scottish University :tongue:

(Caveat: there was a paper put through on the quiet a year or so ago that hasn't had much media attention but I have a few English friends making use of it. Definitely do a bit of research on it!)

Hiya!

Thanks for your response!

So if I live in Scotland for more than 3 months, I qualify for paid tuition fees by Scotland??

:smile:
I appreciate your response.

What does ELQ mean? I researched it, but I'm still not 100% sure by what it meant. From what I understand, if you have some sort of undergraduate equivalent certificate you may be refused funding.

I've contacted universities about my situation, and they basically said that they would judge me mainly on the results of my new A-levels.

Modern languages at top 10 universities require you to have at least one A-level in a modern language, that's why I'm considering doing it. Also, I'm interested in French.

Thank you for the link, but I'm broke lool.

I'm trying to find free language classes or cheap ones in London/Essex that I can go to. Or even free online resources/apps.

Also, I haven't applied for CPR and I need to speak to someone at my university. There's an independent student organisation that helps students accused of misconduct etc so they should be able to help me.

Do you have any tips for applying for CPR? Or any advice for me pertaining to my situation?

ELQ stands for equivalent or lower qualification. I just meant that you've fallen victim to the student funding rules which are written so to as prevent people who've already studied at university from getting another loan. The calculation used when assessing student finance applications is: length of degree - previous years of study + 1 gift year = number of years of student finance (but I guess you already knew that).

If you have no money to pay for a college or an evening course in French then one option might be to sign up for the Open University's Language Studies degree and just do the French modules (no more than 60 credits at level one, 60 at level two and 60 at level three). This is something I'm considering doing myself, when I asked Student Finance England if I'd lose any student finance for a future degree they said no, as long as your study is classed as part-time and you don't receive a qualification (note: I'm still waiting for written confirmation but it seems to be legit). But this would take a number of years to get to A level standard, so it may not be ideal.

There are universities which offer beginners or near beginners French e.g. Edinburgh (need a GCSE in French), Glasgow, Liverpool, Royal Holloway, Reading (need a GCSE in French) and Aberystwyth.

I've never been through the CPR process so I can't offer much advice, but I'm sure you can find people on this site who have (use the search function and look in the Student Financial Support and Disabled Students forums).
(edited 6 years ago)
Hiya!

Thanks for your response!

So if I live in Scotland for more than 3 months, I qualify for paid tuition fees by Scotland??

:smile:

As far as I understand yes... so long as you can demonstrate that you are a resident.

If you've used part of a student loan in england I'm not sure if this is taken in to consideration or if it's seperate to the scottish system but you've nothing to lose by asking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending