The Student Room Group

English Degree without English Literature A-level?

Hi.I'm having a mini crisis. I don't know which degree to do since my current a levels I do not really feel passionate about. I wish I picked a level English because I enjoy reading but, I did not for some silly reason although I got an A* at GCSE. Now this degree really interests me. Is there any possible way I could do an english degree without english at a level, I know all unis require it but is there any possible way around this problem anyone can think of or knows of?
Foundation year probably best option

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Foundation year probably best option

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unis do that for english?
I believe there are a number of universities that will admit you without the A level, though of course they will not be among the best ones.

It looks like Bedfordshire would take you.

So would Cumbria.

I could probably find many more, but will trust you to do your own research.
Reply 4
Original post by ByronicHero
I believe there are a number of universities that will admit you without the A level, though of course they will not be among the best ones.

So would Cumbria.

Yeah I have found some, thank you. Do you think it will be better to go to a university that is not amongst the best ones for a BA subject, but you like that degree or is it better to go for a better uni because their BAs are more highly regrarded but you don't like the degree as much? Will it effect my employability?
Original post by valdokarina
Yeah I have found some, thank you. Do you think it will be better to go to a university that is not amongst the best ones for a BA subject, but you like that degree or is it better to go for a better uni because their BAs are more highly regrarded but you don't like the degree as much? Will it effect my employability?

It depends on what you want to do. The vast majority of people making hiring decisions couldn't possibly care less which university you went to unless it was the one they went to or Oxbridge. However, there are certainly some careers where the university you attended will matter at the start, such as law or IB.

What kind of grades do you have? If you would otherwise be aiming for a 'top' university you could always take a gap year and take the A level as a private candidate.

This all being said, I think you will not want to study something for three years that you are not interested in, and thus you will perform poorly. If English is what you really want to study, then I think you should.
Reply 6
It depends on what you want to do. The vast majority of people making hiring decisions couldn't possibly care less which university you went to unless it was the one they went to or Oxbridge. However, there are certainly some careers where the university you attended will matter at the start, such as law or IB.

What kind of grades do you have? If you would otherwise be aiming for a 'top' university you could always take a gap year and take the A level as a private candidate.

This all being said, I think you will not want to study something for three years that you are not interested in, and thus you will perform poorly. If English is what you really want to study, then I think you should.

Have not done my AS exams yet but for GCSEs I got 4*s and 7As. And thank you for your advice!
Reply 7
Which uni’s did you find that allow you to do the course without English A level? I’m in the same position as you were!
Original post by aldale
Which uni’s did you find that allow you to do the course without English A level? I’m in the same position as you were!

Go onto you UCAS and search from there.
Reply 9
Did you find any?
Original post by valdokarina
Reply 10
Do not go to the University of Bedfordshire OP, that third piece of advice is terrible. Take a gap year and do English literature A Level, and then apply to better Universities, do not attend a bottom 20 University if you can get the grades for better. Especially not for a humanities subject where the place you studied at matters a lot. Yes Employers do care about where you studied, and many recruiters will specify that they're looking for Top 20 grads for their grad schemes, though not all of course.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hello everyone,

Here at Swansea Uni we do not require you to have an A-Level in the subject you wish to study as long as you have enough UCAS points. Our typical offer is BBB. We also offer flexible offers and take into account extra circular qualifications and experience.

This year we won University of the Year in the Whatuni? Student Choice Awards, are in the UK top 10 for student satisfaction and UK top 5 for career prospects.
Our English department is also ranked in the 250 in world!

If you would like to discuss entry requirements or Swansea in general feel free to send me message! :smile:

- Josh
This is an old post but for anyone currently looking into this I've found Glasgow Uni may accept you if you do a humanities a level, sheffield uni doesn't require you to have an english a level, bedfordshire and cumbria may too. I'll update if I find anymore.
I did a health and social care (sciences) and I ma doing English language at Queen Mary’s. If you call the uni they should be able to help as long as you get good grades.

So would Cumbria.

Queen Mary may take you as they did to me. I did a Btec and got good grades and I am now doing English language
Hi there, I’ve just been doing some research for my daughter who would like to study English Literature and History. Is it still the case that she doesn’t need to have an English Literature A level in order to enrol in this course at Swansea? She obtained 8 in her GCSE and really regrets not taking it as an A level! Thanks!
Original post by Ysanne Denbow
Hi there, I’ve just been doing some research for my daughter who would like to study English Literature and History. Is it still the case that she doesn’t need to have an English Literature A level in order to enrol in this course at Swansea? She obtained 8 in her GCSE and really regrets not taking it as an A level! Thanks!

It depends if she is confident I guess and also it depends on the university. I did a Btec health science and I am doing an English language degree at QMUL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending