The Student Room Group

Why does the UK allow alcohol but not weed?

Obviously I'm not advocating for either but I find it truly baffling that the UK allows alcohol, a drug that causes untold problems in society everyday yet they don't allow weed, a drug which causes significantly less problems than alcohol.

I just don't understand it... Can someone please offer me a logical explanation for why the government doesn't allow it?

Again I'm not endorsing the usage of it, I'm just interested in the reasoning.

Scroll to see replies

There isn't a logical explanation really.It should be legalised.
It should be legalised and have a sin tax placed on it.
Nice spelling on the title :wink:
Because the Government refuse to use logic and reason.

They could be making decent tax revenue off it instead of wasting tax money on fighting the losing war on drugs.
Reply 5
Much of it is based on history and trade, I would explain but I don't know much, give it a search and you'll find some interesting stuff though, my friend told me about it but I forgot most the facts, I just remember something about hemp and it's many uses being dangerous to economies.

If you changed the tone of your question to why isn't weed legal instead of why is it illegal I would simply say I don't know… it's proven to have medical benefits in some cases and the government could control the supply and consumption and make huge revenue like it does with alcohol and tobacco - sadly it's sold on the streets, the money goes in the dealers pockets and the drug is often contaminated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AishaGirl
Obviously I'm not advocating for either but I find it truly baffling that the UK allows alcohol, a drug that causes untold problems in society everyday yet they don't allow weed, a drug which causes significantly less problems than alcohol.

I just don't understand it... Can someone please offer me a logical explanation for why the government doesn't allow it?

Again I'm not endorsing the usage of it, I'm just interested in the reasoning.

We've got an illustrious history of drinking in this country - it couldn't possibly be made illegal. You might as well make tea illegal.
World wide beer is the 3rd most drunk substance after water and tea
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Nice spelling on the title :wink:

Such a big deal , she got a spelling mistake right? :colonhash:
Original post by Reality Check
We've got an illustrious history of drinking in this country - it couldn't possibly be made illegal. You might as well make tea illegal.

We also have a long history of drug taking and dealing on an international level. We had a war with China because they nicked our Opium.
Original post by Reality Check

I wasn't asking for alcohol to made illegal, I am asking why alcohol is legal but weed is not. It's kind of like making guns legal but knives illegal.

Original post by zayn008
Much of it is based on history and trade, I would explain but I don't know much, give it a search and you'll find some interesting stuff though, my friend told me about it but I forgot most the facts, I just remember something about hemp and it's many uses being dangerous to economies.

If you changed the tone of your question to why isn't weed legal instead of why is it illegal I would simply say I don't know… it's proven to have medical benefits in some cases and the government could control the supply and consumption and make huge revenue like it does with alcohol and tobacco - sadly it's sold on the streets, the money goes in the dealers pockets and the drug is often contaminated.

But if the government produced it would it not be cheaper and better quality to buy from approved government vendors rather than some back alley dealers? Eventually those dealers would not be making enough money to make it worth their while.
Original post by Lychee627
Such a big deal , she got a spelling mistake right? :colonhash:

Calm down, stop being so triggered. Was a harmless joke.
Calm down, stop being so triggered. Was a harmless joke.

Looool I am calm :rofl:
Original post by Lychee627
Looool I am calm :rofl:

Clearly.
Because theres a tradition of alcohol being acceptable socially and not the same one for drugs. If you did a bit of reading you could answer your own question.
Clearly.

Ok.:biggrin:
Thanks for fixing the thread typo whoever you are :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Taxes
Alcohol is quite an important part of society so you saint really make it illegal since there will be riots. It's probably best to keep other substances illegal since making them legal could increase consumption and en lead to more problems. Best to keep weed illegal since there's not much we can do about alcohol.
Culture is the biggest factor. We can see alcohol referenced in literature for thousands of years.
In comparison to marijuana, you can drink alcohol to your own limit and be fine. Take one "hit" of weed and the affects are immediate.
I presume this had been considered when making marijuana and other drugs illegal. Could look at the history to see why the courts made weed illegal and that would provide your answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending