The Student Room Group

Stress/History GCSE

I'm getting really stressed about my exams especially History. I'm bad at answering questions but my teacher keeps telling me i'll be fine. However, she said my answers were ' a mess' when I sent her a past paper I did and that I was doing it wrong. She was saying good things too, but I could see from the mark scheme she was most likely lying to make me feel better. I asked for help again but she just told me to redo the questions. My History exams are not until after half term, so i'm not focusing on History as much as, for example, English and I don't have much time, but I want to get it over with as i'm stressed. I don't want to bother my teacher again as i've emailed her so much already. I don't really know what to do anymore or where to go for help. FYI the past paper I did was June 2016. Help?

Scroll to see replies

If you are bad at answering the questions, then it simply a matter of exam practice.

I don't mean what everyone says, like printing off every past paper and such... I mean, getting exemplar answers and reading them, completing a past paper timed per question and checking the mark scheme after every question and then finally redoing it by yourself overall to see if you get a better grade.

History is a tough subject for GCSE in the fact you can be a brilliant student and still fail because of poor writing style. I know your struggle and I'm not gonna BS you like your teacher.

Keep trying and you'll get there. If you don't know the content, that's a different matter but if it's question answering then you need a combination of higher understanding of what the examiner wants to see in your work and better writing style.
Reply 2
Original post by StudyJosh
If you are bad at answering the questions, then it simply a matter of exam practice.

I don't mean what everyone says, like printing off every past paper and such... I mean, getting exemplar answers and reading them, completing a past paper timed per question and checking the mark scheme after every question and then finally redoing it by yourself overall to see if you get a better grade.

History is a tough subject for GCSE in the fact you can be a brilliant student and still fail because of poor writing style. I know your struggle and I'm not gonna BS you like your teacher.

Keep trying and you'll get there. If you don't know the content, that's a different matter but if it's question answering then you need a combination of higher understanding of what the examiner wants to see in your work and better writing style.

That's the thing though, I have been practising and re-doing questions and revising knowledge since November. I also revised in year 10 for mocks which helped me a lot too. Your advice is great but I feel like i've already done/am doing that anyway.
Original post by lucyj9
That's the thing though, I have been practising and re-doing questions and revising knowledge since November. I also revised in year 10 for mocks which helped me a lot too. Your advice is great but I feel like i've already done/am doing that anyway.

I thought as much but that is why I said other things like:

and this:

then you need a combination of higher understanding of what the examiner wants to see in your work and better writing style.

Do you struggle with writing style in English, or just History?
Just try your best in history exam and don't stress because on the exam day it can make nervous which can make u puzzled and make u forget things and just be calm and say in your I can do it
Good luck for your gcse exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I thought as much but that is why I said other things like:

and this:

Do you struggle with writing style in English, or just History?

I've actually done answers timed, then I look at the mark scheme etc but I still find it difficult. English depends on the question, but i'm okay with it even though it takes me a long time. It's mainly History i'm concerned about, and I feel pressure to do well. Luckily I get 50% extra time as I have a medical condition resulting in me writing extremely slowly.
Original post by princess770
Just try your best in history exam and don't stress because on the exam day it can make nervous which can make u puzzled and make u forget things and just be calm and say in your mind I can do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
don't worry sometimes people with medical condition do even better and plus the world will not end and if u don't get the grade u want then don't feel guilty because u will have worked hard however I hope you have success in your gcse's exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Just try your best in history exam and don't stress because on the exam day it can make nervous which can make u puzzled and make u forget things and just be calm and say in your I can do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.
Reply 9
don't worry sometimes people with medical condition do even better and plus the world will not end and if u don't get the grade u want then don't feel guilty because u will have worked hard however I hope you have success in your gcse's exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

I need a good grade in History as I want to do it for A Level though, but thanks.
Original post by lucyj9
I've actually done answers timed, then I look at the mark scheme etc but I still find it difficult. English depends on the question, but i'm okay with it even though it takes me a long time. It's mainly History i'm concerned about, and I feel pressure to do well. Luckily I get 50% extra time as I have a medical condition resulting in me writing extremely slowly.

I see. All I can say now is it's either understanding or your condition causing you to focus too much on writing rather than what is being written seeing as you feel pressure for History.

Understanding will always trump memorisation in the long run.

I wish you all the best and I hope you overcome the problems but as you are able to complete English, I do believe you will do well at History.

Also, I want to make an important distinction, I meant looking at the mark scheme for each question right after your complete that question.
Reply 11
I see. All I can say now is it's either understanding or your condition causing you to focus too much on writing rather than what is being written seeing as you feel pressure for History.

Understanding will always trump memorisation in the long run.

I wish you all the best and I hope you overcome the problems but as you are able to complete English, I do believe you will do well at History.

Also, I want to make an important distinction, I meant looking at the mark scheme for each question right after your complete that question.

I see. The thing is in my mocks I accidentally 'cheated' in a way as my teacher told us a clue about the questions and I did a past paper and realised they were the mock questions, so I read and revised the specific topics and example answers. What I have been doing is sort of what you said about mark schemes, but I still can't answer the questions/it takes me a long time.
Original post by lucyj9
I see. The thing is in my mocks I accidentally 'cheated' in a way as my teacher told us a clue about the questions and I did a past paper and realised they were the mock questions, so I read and revised the specific topics and example answers. What I have been doing is sort of what you said about mark schemes, but I still can't answer the questions/it takes me a long time.

Is the extra time too small?
Reply 13
Is the extra time too small?

I actually have the most extra time you can possibly get. I still barely finish and my teacher said my past paper seemed 'rushed'. It was because I had no clue what to write/don't know how to answer things properly. She keeps giving me a load of BS and it's really making me upset.
Original post by lucyj9
I actually have the most extra time you can possibly get. I still barely finish and my teacher said my past paper seemed 'rushed'. It was because I had no clue what to write/don't know how to answer things properly. She keeps giving me a load of BS and it's really making me upset.

Not knowing to write warrants more revision?

Not knowing how to answer things properly warrants past papers?

I'm confused because there's no other way to actually get familiar with the exam other than getting familiar with the exam.
Reply 15
Not knowing to write warrants more revision?

Not knowing how to answer things properly warrants past papers?

I'm confused because there's no other way to actually get familiar with the exam other than getting familiar with the exam.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.
Original post by lucyj9
Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

You said you didn't know what to write or how to answer the questions properly so I said the only two possible ways to improve that is revision and getting familiar with the exam via past papers.
Reply 17
You said you didn't know what to write or how to answer the questions properly so I said the only two possible ways to improve that is revision and getting familiar with the exam via past papers.

Oh I see. I just re-did a past paper using a mark scheme and internet and sent it to my teacher. But I would never have that much time or help in an exam
Original post by lucyj9
Oh I see. I just re-did a past paper using a mark scheme and internet and sent it to my teacher. But I would never have that much time or help in an exam

How much time did you spend on it?
Reply 19
How much time did you spend on it?

About one and a half or maybe two hours. My teacher said the improved one would be an A* (obviously, as I used the markscheme and internet) but my first one would probably be a low B from what she read. I think I'll keep doing questions, then do them again with the markscheme and internet. It's probably not worth me sending them to my teacher though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending