The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's all self-righteous sanctimony. With the SNP in general.
Original post by MildredMalone
53% of Scotland said they want to remain in the UK despite Brexit, so I don't know why Nicola is still banging that old drum. You can't keep having referenda until you get the result you want.

That's what they do in Brussels though.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
That's what they do in Brussels though.

No. that's what they do in national parliaments who then blame Brussels.
Reply 63
Whenever I see Sturgeon on TV I always think Krankies and can't take her seriously

2319192.main_image.jpg
Reply 64
I'm Scottish and the only memory I have of the Krankies is people being compared to them and that horrible story that came out about them being dirty sex-swingers. Genuinely, I'm amazed at how they've remained in the popular imagination in England.
Reply 65
Original post by L i b
I'm Scottish and the only memory I have of the Krankies is people being compared to them and that horrible story that came out about them being dirty sex-swingers. Genuinely, I'm amazed at how they've remained in the popular imagination in England.
The flu is more popular than Sturgeon in England. Do Scottish people think she's an embarrassment.
Reply 66
Original post by nutz99
The flu is more popular than Sturgeon in England. Do Scottish people think she's an embarrassment.

Well, inevitably a great many do. Of course, she has her army of dedicated admirers for whom she can do not wrong.

As a potentially controversial view: despite all the fawning coverage in the press when she was first appointed, I really do think she's less popular than Salmond. She's potentially less mental, but equally she's chippy and hectoring.

As polling has shown in the last few months, she's less popular than Ruth Davidson and Theresa May in Scotland. Unfortunately however, her fans shout far louder than anyone else's.
You're spot on. I blame the bbc for the rise of sturgeon, she gets far too much air time and attention which makes her think she's far more than she is. Shes not even an MP. What she is, is first minister to a tinpot council that only exists because parliament alows it and can't do hardly anything without permission of Parliament who represents part of the uk which has a population about the same as Yorkshire, which should stick to talking about repairs to local cracked pavements and bin collections.
Reply 68
Met her today outside my girlfriends' polling station.
Seemed nice.
The voters of Scotland can quieten the SNP by their voting for someone else.
Original post by JamesN88
Tbh I've only ever seen the "anyone but England" stuff as banter and I've never met a Scot who was actually hostile towards someone just for being English

You'd probably be surprised... I was actually BORN in Scotland, yet (at least in the area I live in) most or even all of the Scots act with hostility towards me simply because my mother is English and I picked up her accent.

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. Wee Jimmy Krankie never stops banging on about another referendum, and I feel like many of us are sick of hearing it.
Awww look at all the little right wing snowflakes moaning about having to hear an elected politician doing what it is expected of her respected party.

Guess you guys aren't a fan of democracy?
Reply 72
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Awww look at all the little right wing snowflakes moaning about having to hear an elected politician doing what it is expected of her respected party.

Guess you guys aren't a fan of democracy?

Absolutely, i respect democracy. I take it you can't respect a democratic vote which took place in 2014 which decided the fate of our country? No?

Going to bring up about how "Scotland needs more devolved powers?" how about the fact that in 2014 David Cameron was the individual who proposed a "Full devolution" option to be added yet Salmond said no; not exactly looking out for our country is it? It's looking out for his own views.

How about the fact that Sturgeon has ruled out rejoining the EU as 1/3rd of SNP voters voted leave for Brexit, this means that us unionists actually voted remain more than SNP voters did by proportion.

How does it feel to know the civil unrest which the SNP have created with the rise of the Conservative onslaught which was present within the council elections which were tallied today?

I'm sure you're going to say that Sturgeon has a "mandate", yet, she also said that it was a "once in a lifetime" referendum didn't she? Going to deny this aswell?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by -Deco-
Going to bring up about how "Scotland needs more devolved powers?" how about the fact that in 2014 David Cameron was the individual who proposed a "Full devolution" option to be added yet Salmond said no; not exactly looking out for our country is it? It's looking out for his own views.

I'm sure it was Salmond that wanted that third option but the UK Govt didn't, thus forcing Salmond to choose between devo max and 16/17 year old votes to meet a deal?
Original post by -Deco-
Absolutely, i respect democracy. I take it you can't respect a democratic vote which took place in 2014 which decided the fate of our country? No?

How about the fact that Sturgeon has ruled out rejoining the EU as 1/3rd of SNP voters voted leave for Brexit, this means that us unionists actually voted remain more than SNP voters did by proportion.

How does it feel to know the civil unrest which the SNP have created with the rise of the Conservative onslaught which was present within the council elections which were tallied today?

I'm sure you're going to say that Sturgeon has a "mandate", yet, she also said that it was a "once in a lifetime" referendum didn't she? Going to deny this aswell?

No ones took that democratic decision away from you have they? Are we or are we not still in the union?

As for Sturgeon ruling out rejoining the EU? Did you just make that up? Think about what you just said, logically. 1/3 of SNP voters favour brexit. Therefore this apparently means Sturgeon would pursue the wishes of ONE THIRD of the party over not only the remaining two thirds but Scotland as a whole? Completely ridiculous.

How does it feel that SNP are the only realistic opposition to the conservatives? Pretty relieved actually seeing as no one else appears to be standing up to them...

I don't deny that SNP claimed it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. But then, that was pre-brexit. The EU referendum has changed everything. Unless you honestly believe SNP would have attempted another referendum so soon without it happening?
Reply 75
Check this BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27753059
Original post by ScottishBrexitor
I'm sure it was Salmond that wanted that third option but the UK Govt didn't, thus forcing Salmond to choose between devo max and 16/17 year old votes to meet a deal?
Reply 76
No ones took that democratic decision away from you have they? Are we or are we not still in the union?

As for Sturgeon ruling out rejoining the EU? Did you just make that up? Think about what you just said, logically. 1/3 of SNP voters favour brexit. Therefore this apparently means Sturgeon would pursue the wishes of ONE THIRD of the party over not only the remaining two thirds but Scotland as a whole? Completely ridiculous.

How does it feel that SNP are the only realistic opposition to the conservatives? Pretty relieved actually seeing as no one else appears to be standing up to them...

I don't deny that SNP claimed it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. But then, that was pre-brexit. The EU referendum has changed everything. Unless you honestly believe SNP would have attempted another referendum so soon without it happening?

Yes, we are still in the union - thanks to a majority of Scots voting to remain, the minority like you however seem to want to state that the "EU changes everything" when in fact this is not the case. Before you state that "Scottish institutions alike will lose funding" or some or claim, please be aware that the British government has already stated that it will reimburse the funding lost to organisations/institutions as a result of Brexit.

The EU referendum does not change a thing - Scottish voters in 2014 were highly aware at the prospect of leaving the EU, this being the case that even with this fact they voted to remain.

Hmm... so according to your premise i have pulled out fictional facts that Sturgeon has ruled out rejoining the EU and has in fact promised to join the EEA when... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/15/nicola-sturgeon-abandons-bid-remain-eu-poll-shows-record-level/ it's entirely true.

I have stated 1/3rd of her party's support, not the party itself. "Party itself" referring to MSP's/MP's who are part of the SNP.

You assume that the SNP can oppose the Conservatives in Westminster... with 59 votes of the 64 total available to Scottish MP's pre-dissolved... yeah, good luck with this.
Original post by -Deco-
Yes, we are still in the union - thanks to a majority of Scots voting to remain, the minority like you however seem to want to state that the "EU changes everything" when in fact this is not the case. Before you state that "Scottish institutions alike will lose funding" or some or claim, please be aware that the British government has already stated that it will reimburse the funding lost to organisations/institutions as a result of Brexit.

The EU referendum does not change a thing - Scottish voters in 2014 were highly aware at the prospect of leaving the EU, this being the case that even with this fact they voted to remain.

Hmm... so according to your premise i have pulled out fictional facts that Sturgeon has ruled out rejoining the EU and has in fact promised to join the EEA when... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/15/nicola-sturgeon-abandons-bid-remain-eu-poll-shows-record-level/ it's entirely true.

I have stated 1/3rd of her party's support, not the party itself. "Party itself" referring to MSP's/MP's who are part of the SNP.

You assume that the SNP can oppose the Conservatives in Westminster... with 59 votes of the 64 total available to Scottish MP's pre-dissolved... yeah, good luck with this.

Well it clearly is the case, like I said we most likely wouldn't even be having another referendum if it weren't for Brexit.

Do you have any proof of Scottish voters being highly aware at the prospect of leaving the EU? That seems kind of strange seeing as 1. Brexit was a surprise result for many and 2. One of Better together's main arguments for not voting yes was so that we would remain within the EU. Kind of contradictory don't you think?

It's funny because you I knew you were going to link that very article. So you've provided a source from the Telegraph stating 'senior Nationalist sources told The Daily Telegraph that Ms Sturgeon would instead try to join the European Free Trade Association (EFTA)'.

Whereas if you looked a little harder you'd have found this article posted only days after your shoddy piece: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nicola-sturgeon-scottish-independence-referendum-eu-membership-back-of-queue-spain-a7638101.html

Wow, so should I believe the article with video proof of Nicola Sturgeon herself stating Scotland would be looking to join the EU as a full member.. or should I just take the Telegraph's made up sources?

I assume SNP are certainly opposing the Tories in Scotland. As for Westminster, well it could be argued that yes, they have done a better job opposing the tories than any other party.

Look your favourite news site even appears to agree: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11976606/The-SNP-not-Labour-is-the-real-Opposition-in-the-Commons.html
Reply 78
Wait.. so you're attempting to discredit my sources? How many do i need to present?
http://www.politico.eu/article/nicola-sturgeon-eu-brexit-scotland-independence-referendum-news-uk/

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/sturgeon-abandons-plan-for-scotland-to-stay-in-eu-35536090.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/snp-would-call-off-independence-referendum-if-theresa-may-let-scotland-stay-in-the-european-single-a7630426.html
I would like to quote the Politico article: "But slogans notwithstanding, behind the scenes, the party is preparing to abandon full-fledged membership of the EU and instead advocate joining either the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) or European Economic Area (EEA) in the first instance."

I would also like to quote an official government commission:
"Awareness of the referendum and the issues around it
was considerably higher than it has been during previous elections and referendums. 90% feel they knew a great deal/fair amount about what the referendum was on, with exactly half (50%) claiming to know a great deal. Only 1% knew nothing at all." As per http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/179807/Scottish-referendum-Public-Opinion-survey-ICM-Report-WEBSITE.pdf

Yes, it was a surprise result as it was not predicted that the Leave vote would suffice to be present - this does not correlate to EU awareness, in context it was a surprise to the SNP that Scotland voted by 55% to 45% to remain in the UK. Concerning the campaign of Better Together, such groups will use slogans as such - i cannot justify their clarity on this topic - both sides of the EU debate were guilty of this aswell however, both voting to remain and to leave - please note i preferred to remain.

The argument that the SNP are opposing the Conservatives in Westminster i guess in emphasis the Greens are successfully able to oppose the SNP in the Scottish parliament? No, of course not. The Greens lack the votes needed to even begin to oppose the SNP, just like the SNP lack the votes to oppose the Conservatives in Westminster.

Well it clearly is the case, like I said we most likely wouldn't even be having another referendum if it weren't for Brexit.

Do you have any proof of Scottish voters being highly aware at the prospect of leaving the EU? That seems kind of strange seeing as 1. Brexit was a surprise result for many and 2. One of Better together's main arguments for not voting yes was so that we would remain within the EU. Kind of contradictory don't you think?

It's funny because you I knew you were going to link that very article. So you've provided a source from the Telegraph stating 'senior Nationalist sources told The Daily Telegraph that Ms Sturgeon would instead try to join the European Free Trade Association (EFTA)'.

Whereas if you looked a little harder you'd have found this article posted only days after your shoddy piece: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nicola-sturgeon-scottish-independence-referendum-eu-membership-back-of-queue-spain-a7638101.html

Wow, so should I believe the article with video proof of Nicola Sturgeon herself stating Scotland would be looking to join the EU as a full member.. or should I just take the Telegraph's made up sources?

I assume SNP are certainly opposing the Tories in Scotland. As for Westminster, well it could be argued that yes, they have done a better job opposing the tories than any other party.

Look your favourite news site even appears to agree: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11976606/The-SNP-not-Labour-is-the-real-Opposition-in-the-Commons.html
Original post by -Deco-

Are you being serious right now? You're basically linking the same article over and over again saying the exact same thing. These sources who are "close to the first minister" are contradicting what Nicola Sturgeon herself has said first hand. Again, which source is more reliable?

Latest

Trending

Trending