The Student Room Group

What are the best places in Spain to visit?

I am planning to go on a holiday to Spain but can't decide which parts of Spain to go to. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Reply 1
Original post by constantine2016
I am planning to go on a holiday to Spain but can't decide which parts of Spain to go to. Does anyone have any recommendations?

It depends on what you are looking for and what kind of holiday you want to have. I like the Catalonia region of Spain best as there is a lot of culture and it has a great coastline.
If your looking for a warm beachy holiday then go to the south: malaga/alicante
If you want to see more mountainous regions and rural areas then north spain - sanabria is really nice.
Thats where I'm from :smile:
Original post by The Admiral
It depends on what you are looking for and what kind of holiday you want to have. I like the Catalonia region of Spain best as there is a lot of culture and it has a great coastline.

Thanks. I'll check that out.
Original post by HappyUnicorn
If your looking for a warm beachy holiday then go to the south: malaga/alicante
If you want to see more mountainous regions and rural areas then north spain - sanabria is really nice.
Thats where I'm from :smile:

Cool. Thanks for the recommendation. :smile:
I know it's not particularly helpful but.... everywhere?

In Andalucia you have the costa del sol if you want a beach holiday but then Seville, Granada and to a lesser extent Cordoba are all great historical cities worth a visit.

Madrid is also nice and you can do trips to nearby places like Toledo.

Valencia is also a pretty interesting city and there's good beaches along the coast there too.

And I've heard great things about Barcelona and the north-west (Bilbao, Santiago de Compostela etc.)
barcelona
Barcelona, the cosmopolitan capital of Spain’s Catalonia region, is known for its art and architecture.
Tenerife is the largest of Spain’s Canary Islands, off West Africa.
Seville is the capital of southern Spain’s Andalusia region
Spanish people always say Granada and Barcelona.
Granada is a must see, with Alhambra Palace. Cartagena is also really beautiful and historic. I've heard good things about Madrid as well - cosmopolitan but still very Spanish. Seville is really nice but if you go in summer it's very hot. The Canary Islands are lovely - Gran Canaria is nice, so is La Palma but it's very small and I don't know if you can fly there from England. Ibiza, funnily enough, is very lovely if you're out of the boozey areas. You can rarely go wrong with big Spanish cities - maybe avoid places like Benidorm or Malaga if you don't want alcoholics surrounding you though :tongue:
Reply 10
Malaga isn't a trashy place, you might be thinking of magaluf.

Granada is great but very touristy, a night visit to the Alhambra is a must.

Seville's a fine city, but I found it underwhelming.

Toledo is an incredible place but again very touristy.

Loved Segovia. Wasn't overrun with visitors and felt idllyic, tranquil and romantic in parts.

Madrid was okay. Bit forgetful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by constantine2016

Madrid is a good suggestion, Valencia too.

I'd avoid Barcelona if I were you cos I've heard that there's a lot of pickpocketing happening there.

If you like parties, drinking and sex. Places like Ibiza, Magaluff would be for you.

Depends on what you like.
Malaga is an amazing city to see culture and food but then also party, go to beaches, festivals, and have great nightlife. It is a good mix of everything. Not too dangerous but also not a boring city at all. Have some suggestions for places in the city centre to stay at with a good cost for up to 6 people. Contact me if needed!

Malaga also has great public transport for any of the places along the coast. You can go to Fuengirola, Torremolinos, Cadiz, Sevilla... All with metro or busses. I would suggest coming to Malaga as your base place then if you want to explore the coast can do so from here.

Quick Reply

Latest