The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissDetermined
Thanks a lot :smile:

You're welcome:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The idiots who should never be allowed behind the wheel ever again.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Hiya guys, long time no post :wink: :tongue:

Thinking of going back to driving soon :smile: my wedding is all paid off now and my mum and gran have offered to pay for lessons here and there so I'm going to start looking up instructors. I need to pass asap, preferably by the end of the year as my papa now has dialysis at hospital 3 times a week instead of at home now and my stepdad might not be able to drive much longer so its up to me and my mum to finally learn to drive :tongue: least we've both passed our theories, just need to do the practical now :tongue: I've got until March next year to pass before my theory runs out

Hey :biggrin:

Oh that's good, sounds exciting (your wedding)! Hopefully you'll get back into driving soon, and get a decent instructor :smile:! How's your mum doing with the lessons? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So Pass Plus is done and passed!! Learnt so much, kinda gutted that I won't see my instructor again! Anyone else felt that?!
i've got my practical test next week, does anyone have any advice bc i'm certain im going to fail
Original post by shanj0nes
So Pass Plus is done and passed!! Learnt so much, kinda gutted that I won't see my instructor again! Anyone else felt that?!

Was it scary driving on the motorway? And do the instructors cars have dual controls?
Original post by bubblegumcat
i've got my practical test next week, does anyone have any advice bc i'm certain im going to fail

Take your time with your manouvere. Rehearse your show me tell me questions. Whilst you don't fail for getting them wrong, I feel like it puts you in a good frame of mind when you start on a good note. Most importantly, drive as you've been taught, don't feel you have to do anything differently because there's someone else in the passenger seat. Good luck :smile:
Roundabouts, I still struggle with the logic of them and I've been driving for 6 years. I mean am I meant to cross over lanes or what
Original post by cherryred90s
Was it scary driving on the motorway? And do the instructors cars have dual controls?

Even though I'm scared of slip roads, I found the motorway so much easier! I have no idea why!

But yes, he had dual controls, otherwise I would've sh** myself, lmao!
Original post by shanj0nes
Even though I'm scared of slip roads, I found the motorway so much easier! I have no idea why!

But yes, he had dual controls, otherwise I would've sh** myself, lmao!

I found the motorway pretty easy too, even though it was my first time driving on it on my own the over day :redface: was kinda s******g myself at first considering it was always someone else driving on the motorway whilst I was in the car :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone else struggle with clutch control ? I was driving on a lot of down hill junctions the day so was just using the brake to control my speed. When time came to go left or right I released the clutch to quickly even though I felt I wasn't and i stalled like 6 times lmao. Anyone else struggle with these types of things ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
Does anyone else struggle with clutch control ? I was driving on a lot of down hill junctions the day so was just using the brake to control my speed. When time came to go left or right I released the clutch to quickly even though I felt I wasn't and i stalled like 6 times lmao. Anyone else struggle with these types of things ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have to stop at a down hill junction always put the handbrake on and then you can have your foot on the gas and the clutch, make sure the clutch is at biting point and you've given the gas enough revs. I guess if you're already doing all that then try to remember to bring the clutch up slower. Youll get the hang of it! I still have to mentally remind myself of what I'm doing on hills while I'm doing it so I don't stall either.
Take your time with your manouvere. Rehearse your show me tell me questions. Whilst you don't fail for getting them wrong, I feel like it puts you in a good frame of mind when you start on a good note. Most importantly, drive as you've been taught, don't feel you have to do anything differently because there's someone else in the passenger seat. Good luck :smile:

thank you! :smile: lets hope i don't get a parallel park :tongue:
Managed to bring my (third) test forward to next month (it was booked for july). Waiting times are getting longer now so was looking for cancellations. Going to make sure I perfect my parellel parks even more now haha. I'm so used to my instructor guiding me still in the lessons, so I'm going to ensure he remains silent during all my manoevers so I get used to doing it 100% alone and get used to not having anyone talk to me.
QUESTION: is the reverse around the corner still a manoeuvre to learn?

Been driving for 2 and a bit years and never used it once. It's so pointless.
Original post by PhilipG1
QUESTION: is the reverse around the corner still a manoeuvre to learn?

Been driving for 2 and a bit years and never used it once. It's so pointless.

Yes still a manoeuvre to learn. I think they're scrapping it from Dec onwards, not too sure tbh.
Good that they're scrapping it, it's the worst manoeuvre and barely gets used in the real world.

Also if anyone needs any advice don't hesitate to ask.
Yeah they're replacing it with driving into a bay and reversing out I believe
Original post by PhilipG1
Good that they're scrapping it, it's the worst manoeuvre and barely gets used in the real world.

Also if anyone needs any advice don't hesitate to ask.

I had it twice -_-
Yeah they're replacing it with driving into a bay and reversing out I believe

That's a more realistic manoeuvre and definitely more likely going to be used in the real world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending