The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Medical Sciences Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamof
What did they have to do to achieve that?

1) Apply internally (they explain how when you get here, but its just a simple application form)
2) Sit an extra exam, based on the human physiology module stuff
3) Score highly on this exam, and anyone above a certain threshold is invited to interview
4) Do well at an interview

Exam and interview are both held in summer-late May/early June, so this year's first years are doing it in the next week or so.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Hi! It's me again. I'm currently in the process of choosing accommodation, and i've heard that sessions are split between Streatham and St Luke. Should I be more inclined towards accommodation located between the two campuses? Or do you spend most of your time at St Luke/Streatham? Would it be better to be more closely located to one of the campuses then, and cycle it/shuttle bus/walk to the other?
Hi!

Any Exeter Medical Science Offer Holders, join the official page on Facebook!
Search: 'Exeter Medical Sciences Offer Holders 2016-17'

Join to meet other offer holders, the society committee, and ask any questions about the course or the university!
Original post by Arima
Hi! It's me again. I'm currently in the process of choosing accommodation, and i've heard that sessions are split between Streatham and St Luke. Should I be more inclined towards accommodation located between the two campuses? Or do you spend most of your time at St Luke/Streatham? Would it be better to be more closely located to one of the campuses then, and cycle it/shuttle bus/walk to the other?

Yeah this is what I want to know as well! Anyone?
Reply 24
Original post by StarBizarre
Yeah this is what I want to know as well! Anyone?

Heard rowancroft is good I applied for that and the other rowan something and they're based nearer to st Luke's campus and you can shuttle to streatham in the mornings, I think st Luke's is generally closer to the city centre but streatham has more students of varied courses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I have a large one bed maisonette in central exe up for rent! That's right in the middle of the two, super easy walking distance either way! Although you are on your own it's in a block of flats with other students just like halls? Please let me know if you're interested! Would be happy to send you more details.
Original post by jamof
Heard rowancroft is good I applied for that and the other rowan something and they're based nearer to st Luke's campus and you can shuttle to streatham in the mornings, I think st Luke's is generally closer to the city centre but streatham has more students of varied courses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think it's better to be based near St Luke's and travel to Streatham than the other way round?
Reply 27
Hey you guys who have already done first year of Med sciences do you have my tips for us going into first year like books to read/ get from the library just so we can hit the ground running?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Yeah, I also wanted to know if there's recommended reading we should do.
Reply 29
Original post by jamof
Hey you guys who have already done first year of Med sciences do you have my tips for us going into first year like books to read/ get from the library just so we can hit the ground running?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I emailed the med school and they said we shouldn't buy any books prior to commencing. This, however, didn't answer my question about suggested reading, so I guess there's none.
Reply 30
hiii im planning to firm my choice at exeter for medical sciences as well:smile: but i have a few questions in mind

do you consider this course competitive?
do you mind sharing the reason why you've chosen exeter for this course in the first place?
are there many aspects of human physiology included in this course (since im quite fascinated by it)
where do you have lectures usually? and actually which hall is the most convenient from the place where the lessons take place? (im an intl student so i don't get a chance to go to any of the open days:frown:

thanks a lot!!
ULTRA REPLY POST (good luck finding your answers)

Original post by jamof

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other way around, St lukes is on the edge of town whereas Streatham is a bit further away and up a hill (yeah, sorry). I stayed on Streatham campus in my first year and turned out ok as my time was split half and half between the two campuses.

Original post by StarBizarre
Do you think it's better to be based near St Luke's and travel to Streatham than the other way round?

Either is fine tbh, you have that shuttle bus from near St Lukes (cant give details as I never used it unfortunately)

Original post by jamof
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Stanimirr
Yeah, I also wanted to know if there's recommended reading we should do.

Original post by Stanimirr
I emailed the med school and they said we shouldn't buy any books prior to commencing. This, however, didn't answer my question about suggested reading, so I guess there's none.

In answer to three of you, the books i would recommend from the library for 1st year :

1) Alberts Molecular Biology of the cell was always one I used a lot
2) Sherwood's Human physiology

These are probably the two best ones for first year, will cover most of what you do during it....but I wouldn't recommend buying them, they will set you back around £50 each, and I always found plenty of copies in the library. They also usually have a few in the LSRC (you'll find out what that is really soon).

I can provide links to the books if you are interested, just so you can look them up yourselves if you want (just google what i wrote tbh and you will probably find them

Original post by fspenc
hiii im planning to firm my choice at exeter for medical sciences as well:smile: but i have a few questions in mind

do you consider this course competitive?
do you mind sharing the reason why you've chosen exeter for this course in the first place?
are there many aspects of human physiology included in this course (since im quite fascinated by it)
where do you have lectures usually? and actually which hall is the most convenient from the place where the lessons take place? (im an intl student so i don't get a chance to go to any of the open days:frown:

thanks a lot!!

1) Not sure what you mean by "competitive"...if you mean difficult to get in i can't comment as I started three years ago and there are wayyy more students nowadays. if you mean "does everyone want to beat each other in exam marks"....not really, we just want them all over and done with usually (lol)

2) I originally applied for medicine (yeah im one of those losers unfortunately) but I really dont regret choosing the course-allowed me to explore lots of human physiology, I like the city and campuses, really miss the place tbh :frown: . I did have some gripes with the course, but from what I've heard from people currently in final year, they changed a lot of the things I complained about, which sounds pretty good to me

3) We did all sorts....it was split into 5 broad categories each lasting a month:
*Circulation (heart, lungs, blood...)
*Digestion, metabolism and excretion (including digestion, liver, kidneys, drug metabolism....etc etc)
*Immune system (including infection, innate, adaptive
*Cell division and death (including basic dev bio, pregnancy, cancer, aging/death
*Neuroscience AKA the best part of the damn course

You do this cycle in first year (mainly looking at anatomy and how the things work in healthy people) and second year (focusing more on diseases where this stuff starts to malfunction). Final year is a bit different, you look at 10 different diseases for 2 weeks each, going all over the place, but looking at more cutting edge research stuff, including some done by some of the labs right there in Exeter.

You guys let me know if you got any more questions, happy to answer what i can
Reply 32
thank you so much! i'll be firming exeter over sheffield now :smile:))) good luck on ur A-levels !!

Original post by QuentinM
ULTRA REPLY POST (good luck finding your answers)

Other way around, St lukes is on the edge of town whereas Streatham is a bit further away and up a hill (yeah, sorry). I stayed on Streatham campus in my first year and turned out ok as my time was split half and half between the two campuses.

Either is fine tbh, you have that shuttle bus from near St Lukes (cant give details as I never used it unfortunately)

In answer to three of you, the books i would recommend from the library for 1st year :

1) Alberts Molecular Biology of the cell was always one I used a lot
2) Sherwood's Human physiology

These are probably the two best ones for first year, will cover most of what you do during it....but I wouldn't recommend buying them, they will set you back around £50 each, and I always found plenty of copies in the library. They also usually have a few in the LSRC (you'll find out what that is really soon).

I can provide links to the books if you are interested, just so you can look them up yourselves if you want (just google what i wrote tbh and you will probably find them

1) Not sure what you mean by "competitive"...if you mean difficult to get in i can't comment as I started three years ago and there are wayyy more students nowadays. if you mean "does everyone want to beat each other in exam marks"....not really, we just want them all over and done with usually (lol)

2) I originally applied for medicine (yeah im one of those losers unfortunately) but I really dont regret choosing the course-allowed me to explore lots of human physiology, I like the city and campuses, really miss the place tbh :frown: . I did have some gripes with the course, but from what I've heard from people currently in final year, they changed a lot of the things I complained about, which sounds pretty good to me

3) We did all sorts....it was split into 5 broad categories each lasting a month:
*Circulation (heart, lungs, blood...)
*Digestion, metabolism and excretion (including digestion, liver, kidneys, drug metabolism....etc etc)
*Immune system (including infection, innate, adaptive
*Cell division and death (including basic dev bio, pregnancy, cancer, aging/death
*Neuroscience AKA the best part of the damn course

You do this cycle in first year (mainly looking at anatomy and how the things work in healthy people) and second year (focusing more on diseases where this stuff starts to malfunction). Final year is a bit different, you look at 10 different diseases for 2 weeks each, going all over the place, but looking at more cutting edge research stuff, including some done by some of the labs right there in Exeter.

You guys let me know if you got any more questions, happy to answer what i can
Original post by fspenc
thank you so much! i'll be firming exeter over sheffield now :smile:))) good luck on ur A-levels !!

Heh....if you mean me good luck....i finished my degree here last year.....
Guys I really need some advice, my school have filled out an extenuating circumstances form for me and have sent it to Exeter University, but I'm not sure whether or not they'll take it into consideration? Basically my mum had been diagnosed with stage 3 cancer late march and I haven't been able to revise properly as I've had to look after her and my 3 sisters. I don't know why I feel like they wont...? I've applied for Medical sciences and need AAB, so far exams haven't went great and I'm really scared that I won't be able to get in. I've tried so hard to get into Exeter now I feel like it's just a distant dream. I'm not sure if I should call them personally or?
Original post by goldenunicorn
Guys I really need some advice, my school have filled out an extenuating circumstances form for me and have sent it to Exeter University, but I'm not sure whether or not they'll take it into consideration? Basically my mum had been diagnosed with stage 3 cancer late march and I haven't been able to revise properly as I've had to look after her and my 3 sisters. I don't know why I feel like they wont...? I've applied for Medical sciences and need AAB, so far exams haven't went great and I'm really scared that I won't be able to get in. I've tried so hard to get into Exeter now I feel like it's just a distant dream. I'm not sure if I should call them personally or?

I'd either contact them directly explaining your situation, and maybe chase up with your school. Sounds like a pretty horrific situation so i'd be suprised if you find a university that isnt a bit sympathetic towards this situation....especially as its a degree run by a medical school.

Hope it works out for you :smile:
Original post by QuentinM
I'd either contact them directly explaining your situation, and maybe chase up with your school. Sounds like a pretty horrific situation so i'd be suprised if you find a university that isnt a bit sympathetic towards this situation....especially as its a degree run by a medical school.

Hope it works out for you :smile:

Thank you so much for this and yeah it's probably best if I call them after exams explaining my situation, hopefully they'll be linient with me considering my circumstances! :smile:
Original post by Paperclip53
Hello guys,

3rd year Medical Scientist here, about to complete the degree. Feel free to ask any questions you have about the course, will answer totally honestly.

I just wanted to ask in the first year of this degree course, are the lecture primarily based in St Lukes or Streatham (because that will affect me choosing what accommodation i choose) ?
Reply 38
Original post by ken12344
I just wanted to ask in the first year of this degree course, are the lecture primarily based in St Lukes or Streatham (because that will affect me choosing what accommodation i choose) ?

Hey Ken,

As for your first year of Medical Science degree, you will be moving around between St Lukes and Streatham from time to time.
Now that being said, I have a question you could consider.
Do you like social and club activities and want to be close to them?
if so an accommodation closer to Streatham would be good for the first year.

Would you prefer a somewhat quieter place to sleep and don't mind society or walking/travelling to Streatham?
Then close to St Luke's, Rowancroft is quite nice.
Also, there are morning buses that travel from the accommodation to Streatham so don't need to worry about that. However, there are only morning and evening ones.
Reply 39
Original post by Paperclip53
Hello guys,

3rd year Medical Scientist here, about to complete the degree. Feel free to ask any questions you have about the course, will answer totally honestly.

Hi,
How would you rate the quality of the course?
What was good about the course and what was not so good about it?
Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending