The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by PedanticStudent
I haven't yet, no. My in-depth business revision has come to an end so there will probably be time for that over the next week or so. Welsh Bacc deadline is close so I have to prioritise currently. I'll post what I think will come up here as soon as I have put together a doc.
For now just keep at it with the papers.

Yeah i ahve slightly forgotten some topic so going over those
How are you learning the internet question on moral.ethical.social issues as this question seems to change every year as well as the markscheme so I don't know which points to really learn @PedanticStudent
Original post by lemonandlime1
How are you learning the internet question on moral.ethical.social issues as this question seems to change every year as well as the markscheme so I don't know which points to really learn @PedanticStudent

Its a bit hit and miss with that one, but I would just learn the 2015 mark scheme for that, as you will likely see that you can bend the answers to fit with any variation of that question.

The good thing about the MES issues of the internet is that you markers can award for 'any reasonable point' so you will get away with adapting the answers as mentioned.

So basically, learn your areas of discussion such as Ownership of the internet, Intellectual property rights, privacy, incitement to violence, misuse of social media, lack of policing and censorship etc.... (just off the top of my head)

then expand on them using relevant illustrative examples. It is usually two marks per 'area of discussion' so given that it is an 8 mark question, you need to speak about 4 factors in a very well argued manner.

However I must say that it is safer to learn and talk about as many as you can just incase the marker isn't satisfied you have been detailed enough about something.

While this mark scheme is for a question about "ownership and control of the internet", the mark scheme can still be manipulated to work with:

Parents are concerned about the lack of control of the Internet. Discuss, using suitable examples, their likely concerns. [8]

just rehash your points into a parental context. You will see that the mark scheme for this question is in some ways rather similar anyway.
Reply 243
Its a bit hit and miss with that one, but I would just learn the 2015 mark scheme for that, as you will likely see that you can bend the answers to fit with any variation of that question.

The good thing about the MES issues of the internet is that you markers can award for 'any reasonable point' so you will get away with adapting the answers as mentioned.

So basically, learn your areas of discussion such as Ownership of the internet, Intellectual property rights, privacy, incitement to violence, misuse of social media, lack of policing and censorship etc.... (just off the top of my head)

then expand on them using relevant illustrative examples. It is usually two marks per 'area of discussion' so given that it is an 8 mark question, you need to speak about 4 factors in a very well argued manner.

However I must say that it is safer to learn and talk about as many as you can just incase the marker isn't satisfied you have been detailed enough about something.

While this mark scheme is for a question about "ownership and control of the internet", the mark scheme can still be manipulated to work with:

Parents are concerned about the lack of control of the Internet. Discuss, using suitable examples, their likely concerns. [8]

just rehash your points into a parental context. You will see that the mark scheme for this question is in some ways rather similar anyway.

How do i explain " Storage of data sperate to programs " ?
Reply 244
Any predictions anyone ??
Original post by AA923
Heeyy have u got the prdictionss?

http://jacktilson.net/dl/mocks/IT3-2017-predictions.pdf

Here is is.

The paper is almost twice as long as a regular paper, but I have gut feelings about all of the questions having a possibility of being there. I ruled out the ones I couldn't see being on the paper this summer.

I must reiterate to anybody using this that you should not use this alone. It is only a set of questions that i believe are likely to appear. Be sure to use the other real past papers from actual exam sittings as well as this. Examiners sometimes catch us by surprise.

MARK SCHEME:
http://jacktilson.net/dl/mocks/IT3-2017-predictions-ms.pdf
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AA923
How do i explain " Storage of data sperate to programs " ?

Storage of data separate to programs is one of the reasons why relational databases are more secure than flat file.

I would say:

Storage of data separate to programs - there is data independence with relational databases. Because the data itself and the applications used to access it are stored independently from each other, the data would be safe if the application corrupted or became infected with malware or became otherwise inaccessible.

Most of the time, this is the 2/3 mark "give" variation of the flat file/rdbms question. Hence, there has never been a question of this sort which has required you to explain the point.
Reply 247
Storage of data separate to programs is one of the reasons why relational databases are more secure than flat file.

I would say:

Storage of data separate to programs - there is data independence with relational databases. Because the data itself and the applications used to access it are stored independently from each other, the data would be safe if the application corrupted or became infected with malware or became otherwise inaccessible.

Most of the time, this is the 2/3 mark "give" variation of the flat file/rdbms question. Hence, there has never been a question of this sort which has required you to explain the point.

I saw it with the tone talking about security in rdbms as markscheme only has - "Storage of data seperate to program"
http://jacktilson.net/dl/mocks/IT3-2017-predictions.pdf

Here is is.

The paper is almost twice as long as a regular paper, but I have gut feelings about all of the questions having a possibility of being there. I ruled out the ones I couldn't see being on the paper this summer.

I must reiterate to anybody using this that you should not use this alone. It is only a set of questions that i believe are likely to appear. Be sure to use the other real past papers from actual exam sittings as well as this. Examiners sometimes catch us by surprise.

Mark scheme will be uploaded and added here within the next week. Have a crack at the questions from memory first if you like.

Hey, I was wondering if you are able to make a predicted paper for IT1?
Reply 249
Original post by ahsank98

You my friend, just woke me up 😭😭😭😭😭😭
Could they bring up advantages and disadvantages of different HCIs from last year? Or will the questions only ask about novice/expert users and how they help disabled people/children
Could they bring up advantages and disadvantages of different HCIs from last year? Or will the questions only ask about novice/expert users and how they help disabled people/children

I think you're getting your wires crossed between IT1 and IT3. Last year's IT1 had the advantages and disadvantages of various HCIs (which for the record has no chance of being there again as its been there two consecutive years now in a similar form)

The IT3 has the expert and novice users question.

Technically IT3 is synoptic (ie: IT1 questions can be asked | according to something i read on the specimen), but it is never really treated as such.
Original post by ahsank98

I would love to help however I am happily divorced from that nasty IT1. :P
If you have a look at the papers you might be able to spot the patterns, as this is all I do when 'predicting' ; well that, and a little gut feeling.
(edited 6 years ago)
Here is the mark scheme for that predictions paper (see post #246 for the link to the predictions paper itself)

http://jacktilson.net/dl/mocks/IT3-2017-predictions-ms.pdf
(edited 6 years ago)
Quick question but in the specimen paper question 6,b
What's is it really relating too as this question doesn't appear anywhere else that I can see as well as the answer of advantages and disadvantages don't really appear in any other question either
Quick question but in the specimen paper question 6,b
What's is it really relating too as this question doesn't appear anywhere else that I can see as well as the answer of advantages and disadvantages don't really appear in any other question either

Yeah you are right in implying that it has never appeared on a live paper.

However since this paper is the specimen for all live exams which have actually occurred, it is very possible that this could be there as a nasty surprise.

Very possible, but unlikely. - though it does make sense not to rule it out so you can be as well prepared as possible - even if you learn a couple of each just to get 4/6 if it comes up again its better than missing out completely.
Reply 256
Yeah you are right in implying that it has never appeared on a live paper.

However since this paper is the specimen for all live exams which have actually occurred, it is very possible that this could be there as a nasty surprise.

Very possible, but unlikely. - though it does make sense not to rule it out so you can be as well prepared as possible - even if you learn a couple of each just to get 4/6 if it comes up again its better than missing out completely.

Its quite hard to predict any surprise questions except this one and that is why i have learnt it
Hi @PedanticStudent I just saw your IT3 2017 predicted questions PDF.

The thing I'm confused about is how exactly is this a prediction of what is most likely to come up when the paper is double the size with more questions etc?

Is this 2 papers put into 1 where you've made 2 different sets of papers with 2 predictions?

Appreicate the work you've produced here though its good practise regardless.

Thanks.
Original post by mayhs98

The thing I'm confused about is how exactly is this a prediction of what is most likely to come up when the paper is double the size with more questions etc?

Is this 2 papers put into 1 where you've made 2 different sets of papers with 2 predictions?

Thanks.

Yes it's all the questions I believe are the most likely to appear. I would have been leaving out far too many suspects / possibilities. Just treat them as two different papers. I think it pays to be as thorough as this since the risk is greatly reduced. Its far less of a gamble hence my choice.
Original post by mayhs98

Thanks.

If you want to make it a more realistic length without sacrificing coverage you could just do all the odd questions on one occasion and then the evens on another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending