The Student Room Group

deVere Group

Scroll to see replies

Did u get reimbursed back for malta? And how long did it take?

They told me some decent stuff.... but the reviews here are saying otherwise.

For example, contract is signed on day 1 if malta and flights are reimbursed on arrival. Training is paid. Country of destination they are paying 50% of my accommodation throughout my relocation process (so I believe that either 1 month or the whole qualification process). I am being paid monthly, but have not been told if it's just commission for the country. They did not provide the addreses I wanted for my country offices.

Now... this is said all over the phone. So it's not written... I mean I don't think they would lie if you could use that against them.

I've been invited to an assessment day.

I have a vague idea about the role but the webinar broke 10mins in so.... yeah.
Hi All,Okay,

I would say 90% of bad reviews are NOT from the grad program but from people who went out there on there own back, and tbh those types are generally desperate life washouts, who shouldn't be on a grad site.

Read below for a true grad review.

I did the graduate program recently. So I'll give an honest review. Firstly, if you don't know what you want to do, and have no other job offers, want to make money. Then DeVere is great. You probably won't make money with DeVere, but you'll learn how to sell on a telephone. I didn't make a penny with deVere, but I now make 50k a year in the uk using the skills I learn there, and I left after a year.

Also be strong enough to leave when your ready. There's this culture there about quoting that brain washes you.

Initial recruitment process is straight forward. They hire any grad who is will to make money. Generally speaking, and fits a particular type of personality e.g. Out going. They paid for my flight to Malta. In Malta your basically cold calling 6 to 6. Everything is paid for and you get a salary whilst there. To be honest, Malta was the most fun part of the whole experience, and I'd genuinely do that part again.

Arriving in your country is where it all goes down hill. If your luck and your with a good senior, then he'll give you deals. If your with an idiot. Well, good luck.

You'll struggle, company has a bad rep, so hard to convince anyone with a substantial income. Plus, every month your there that's more money you owe deVere as comms are paid once they deduct what ever they have paid you as a salary. I did a few small deals and one huge deal which should have been a 10k payout. But I was in negative so didn't see a penny of my comms.

Anyway, I left as did most grads that I started with. But I took with me the tele sales skills I learnt (their in house trainer Gary May is genuinely very good) and now I could probably apply to most fx desks and get a jobs in business development. Also, I'm currently on 50k at 23, working in sales. Without the ******** stressful experience at deVere I wouldn't have had the opportunity to do that. As it does make you thick skinned and know how to talk on a telephone etc.

Further more, Im now moving into a role with a FTSE100 company who made it clear that my experience at deVere made all the difference, as I have zero connections And no direct experience, so they took me based on past experience and personality.

So, if you have zero on your cv consider it. If you've got connections and options, well... Why are you even looking at deVere in the first place. Daddy will probably get you a job. Whilst the rest of us have to hustle.

P.s. I don't really care what you all do. However, I'm sure there's someone reading this who literally has zero options, so consider it carefully. Most of my friends that I graduated with are still just about earning 25k a year. Learning to sell early is going to be a great tool for you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by justwannaask
Did u get reimbursed back for malta? And how long did it take?

They told me some decent stuff.... but the reviews here are saying otherwise.

For example, contract is signed on day 1 if malta and flights are reimbursed on arrival. Training is paid. Country of destination they are paying 50% of my accommodation throughout my relocation process (so I believe that either 1 month or the whole qualification process). I am being paid monthly, but have not been told if it's just commission for the country. They did not provide the addreses I wanted for my country offices.

Now... this is said all over the phone. So it's not written... I mean I don't think they would lie if you could use that against them.

I've been invited to an assessment day.

I have a vague idea about the role but the webinar broke 10mins in so.... yeah.

See the above post. Should answer your questions pal
HiiThanks for the reply. I asked to see the contract but they refused and said until I get offered. Didnt wann waste money going to assessment yet if contract was dodgy.Was there anything like - if you leave anytime during the scheme ud have to pay back?You mentioned every month u owed devere.... at the end if u didnt make sales and was at negative ~ then u still owe them? Originally they told me it was always 1500 then commission on top. They dont seem to answer my questions :lAnd did u struggle on living expenses with the pay?Thanks x
Original post by questionss2y3ye
HiiThanks for the reply. I asked to see the contract but they refused and said until I get offered. Didnt wann waste money going to assessment yet if contract was dodgy.Was there anything like - if you leave anytime during the scheme ud have to pay back?You mentioned every month u owed devere.... at the end if u didnt make sales and was at negative ~ then u still owe them? Originally they told me it was always 1500 then commission on top. They dont seem to answer my questions :lAnd did u struggle on living expenses with the pay?Thanks x

No offence but it's a bit naive to ask a company for a contract before you get the offer, no company would do that.

No, when you leave you don't repay it. The commissions are paid in arrears, which can be common in some sales roles. If you leave, you leave.

Living expenses - you could get paid 100k a month and struggle to survive. Your paid enough to pay rent and enjoy a decent standard of living, dependant of which country you select.

Obviously if you pick swizerland you'll struggle, in comparison with say Russia. So it's all relative. But what doesn't change is the amount your being paid regardless where you live.
Reply 145
Had the Webinar this afternoon, done the personality test and now waiting to here off the recruiter before taking the next steps. I will be doing the Business Development Associate programme, should I be successful, where you do 12 months and you're then an 'International Wealth Adviser'.

It all sounds too good to be true but my recruiter has been up front with me and said it's not an easy role etc, so waiting to see what happens. If it all goes to plan I'll be in Malta from the 7th of August, so I'll keep you all posted with a balanced view.
Original post by utr
Had the Webinar this afternoon, done the personality test and now waiting to here off the recruiter before taking the next steps. I will be doing the Business Development Associate programme, should I be successful, where you do 12 months and you're then an 'International Wealth Adviser'.

It all sounds too good to be true but my recruiter has been up front with me and said it's not an easy role etc, so waiting to see what happens. If it all goes to plan I'll be in Malta from the 7th of August, so I'll keep you all posted with a balanced view.

That's what I think, I'm in the same boat. With interviews next week, but to be honest having read so much bad press I'm inclined to turn it down now.

Although having said this, much of the negative reviews are from years ago and there are now some positive statements in the news about the company, suggesting large and fast expansion. I'm hoping I can find some more recent reviews of the company before my interview so then I can make a more balanced decision in whether or not to turn down the interview.
Original post by callum 99
That's what I think, I'm in the same boat. With interviews next week, but to be honest having read so much bad press I'm inclined to turn it down now.

Although having said this, much of the negative reviews are from years ago and there are now some positive statements in the news about the company, suggesting large and fast expansion. I'm hoping I can find some more recent reviews of the company before my interview so then I can make a more balanced decision in whether or not to turn down the interview.

Perhaps in the interview ask why Nigel Green, the CEO, doesn't come to England

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 148

Way I'm looking at is if I don't do it, it'll be one of those that you look back on and think, why oh why didn't I take the opportunity.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Flights and accommodation paid for in Malta anyway so it's a win, win.
Reply 149
Original post by Underscore__
Perhaps in the interview ask why Nigel Green, the CEO, doesn't come to England

Posted from TSR Mobile

In what regard? Why wouldn't he?
Original post by utr
Way I'm looking at is if I don't do it, it'll be one of those that you look back on and think, why oh why didn't I take the opportunity.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Flights and accommodation paid for in Malta anyway so it's a win, win.

If you read it, it's only half paid for. Even then it says it's open to conditions, I'd take another read of it pal.
Reply 151
If you read it, it's only half paid for. Even then it says it's open to conditions, I'd take another read of it pal.

Accommodation all paid for in Malta then they pay 50% in your destination country. Believe me, I've read it and reread it.
I've read just the same as you did, all paid then 50% in the destination country. Goodluck with everything and please keep updating your situations. I've been thinking to apply graduate programme at DeVere too, would be great to hear recent experiences from those who are in the programme.
Reply 153
Original post by ainasofi
I've read just the same as you did, all paid then 50% in the destination country. Goodluck with everything and please keep updating your situations. I've been thinking to apply graduate programme at DeVere too, would be great to hear recent experiences from those who are in the programme.

I'm not actually going on the grad programme, I'm going in as a Business Development Associate, but I doubt there'll be much difference.

All confirmed for the 7th, will keep people posted.
Reply 154
Right, it's going well, don't get me wrong, it's the most intensive thing you'll ever do, but my God, it's rewarding, I'll post more in depth when I've finished on Friday.
Original post by utr
Right, it's going well, don't get me wrong, it's the most intensive thing you'll ever do, but my God, it's rewarding, I'll post more in depth when I've finished on Friday.

Hey - any update?? Hows it going?
Reply 156
Original post by MrNobodyTheFirst
Hey - any update?? Hows it going?

If you're looking for a holiday to Malta and do a bit of graft, it's not for you.

They give you all the tools to be successful, but, it's down to the individual to grasp that with both hands. It really is a case of you get out what you put in. If you want to swan in the office an hour after everyone else, there's not a chance you're getting the same results as someone who is there for longer than you.

If you want to make money and are willing to put the work in, then by all means give it a go. However, what I'm not going to do is dress it up and tell you it's a walk in the park, because, frankly its anything but.

I'm off to my location now so will be interesting to see how that differentiates to Malta.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.
Original post by utr
If you're looking for a holiday to Malta and do a bit of graft, it's not for you.

They give you all the tools to be successful, but, it's down to the individual to grasp that with both hands. It really is a case of you get out what you put in. If you want to swan in the office an hour after everyone else, there's not a chance you're getting the same results as someone who is there for longer than you.

If you want to make money and are willing to put the work in, then by all means give it a go. However, what I'm not going to do is dress it up and tell you it's a walk in the park, because, frankly its anything but.

I'm off to my location now so will be interesting to see how that differentiates to Malta.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

its really interesting to hear from someone who has their feet on the ground. This thread has been a bit one sided with skepticism. Personally quite tempted by this..

Did you get to choose your location?

Is there much of a difference between the business development role and graduate wealth management role when your in training?

Do you get paid a salary on location or is it 100% commission based?
Reply 158
Original post by MrNobodyTheFirst
its really interesting to hear from someone who has their feet on the ground. This thread has been a bit one sided with skepticism. Personally quite tempted by this..

Did you get to choose your location?

Is there much of a difference between the business development role and graduate wealth management role when your in training?

Do you get paid a salary on location or is it 100% commission based?

Yeah the thread is so one sided its unbelievable.

Regarding the differences in training I don't think there is any difference at all, it's just called something different and I'm guessing there's probably perks on the grad scheme that aren't available on the BDA programme.

Location, yes I chose. There will be some offices that simply don't have room for people at this present moment, but on the whole, you can work anywhere.

I'd recommend it, it's early days to say whether it'll be good or not, but the impression that I have got is as I've previously said, you get out what you put in.

Role is salaried (BDA is anyway, don't see why it'd be any different) and you get commission on top and there's a lot of money to be earned. We get the weekly figures through and some of the money on there does take you back slightly.
Original post by utr
Yeah the thread is so one sided its unbelievable.

Regarding the differences in training I don't think there is any difference at all, it's just called something different and I'm guessing there's probably perks on the grad scheme that aren't available on the BDA programme.

Location, yes I chose. There will be some offices that simply don't have room for people at this present moment, but on the whole, you can work anywhere.

I'd recommend it, it's early days to say whether it'll be good or not, but the impression that I have got is as I've previously said, you get out what you put in.

Role is salaried (BDA is anyway, don't see why it'd be any different) and you get commission on top and there's a lot of money to be earned. We get the weekly figures through and some of the money on there does take you back slightly.

What does an average day look like?

Where is your location?
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending