The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do poor people buy expensive unnecessary things..

... Of course people can do whatever they want, but I have freedom of speech.

The other day I seen a girl holding a Gucci bag, waiting at the bus stop?
Yes the purse was authentic.

People are willing to go in debt for expensive things they don't really need. Why pretend to be something you are not.

Ugh. But then again don't we all make stupid desicions.

Scroll to see replies

Lol it's their money, they worked hard for it and they can use it and buy whatever the hell they want.
Why do u make pointless and unecessary threads
Original post by xobeauty

People are willing to go in debt for expensive things they don't really need. Why pretend to be something you are not.

It is to impress other poor people. I have a brother in law who is so skint that he is begging off his mother for money. First thing he does is go out and buy the most expensive TV and car. He then uses this to try and impress people that he has money
I'd say this is judgmental. Believe it or not some people can afford these luxuries haha
Maybe it was a gift from someone else, maybe she won it (sometimes you can win things online in giveaways)
How did you know she was in debt? She might be more well off then you think
Reply 5

To be fair, they can buy whatever they want no matter how ridiculous it is. It's their money so they will spend it how they see is fit.
Original post by Dead Inside
Why do u make pointless and unecessary threads

It's actually a good discussion in my opinion.
Why do u make pointless comments?...that's right ding dong
So have you never bought anything expensive?

How do you know she was in debt? Perhaps it was a present. And why is it stupid? Is it because you perceive her to be poor? There is nothing wrong with wanting nice things and being poor should not exclude anyone from that. You should not judge people by what you think they are. It is just not nice.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
It is to impress other poor people. I have a brother in law who is so skint that he is begging off his mother for money. First thing he does is go out and buy the most expensive TV and car. He then uses this to try and impress people that he has money

How do you know she's poor? Just a random person at the bus stop...
I'd say stop focusing on her so much and focus on yourself

Congratulations, have a ****ing cookie.

What does it matter to you what other people have? Are they causing you pain or ilness? No.

In response to your question, it's just basic psychology: poor people buy expensive things to make themselves feel like they're not poor.
because poor people deserve nice things too. idk why that had to be stated but yeah.
I think you are all missing the point of the thread.
Yes, the people worked hard for their money and thus can spend it on whatever they want. Yes, it is judgemental to assume that they are being stupid with their money.

HOWEVER, the OP wanted to initiate a discussion about why people spend money they know they don't have. How about you try and engage the conversation rather than derail it?
Original post by Miss tiara
How do you know she's poor? Just a random person at the bus stop...
I'd say stop focusing on her so much and focus on yourself

Because I am very old and am sick and tired of people stressing about labels and names
Original post by Seamus123
How do you know she was in debt? Perhaps it was a present. And why is it stupid? Is it because you perceive her to be poor? There is nothing wrong with wanting nice things and being poor should not exclude anyone from that. You should not judge people by what you think they are. It is just not nice.

Agreed!
wait so cos she had a gucci purse you were surprised she uses public transport...

christ
Original post by saharan_skies
because poor people deserve nice things too. idk why that had to be stated but yeah.

Yes they do deserve nice things - but we all have to work for what we have. Most of these items are knockoffs so they dont count.

It seems to me that people just want status and it does not matter how it is achieved. A bag that costs a thousand quid is just the same as a bag from top shop but with a different price tag - it does the same job
LOL. This is me with my Moulin Rouge programmes. [ See post on tsr]. Some of which I am now having to sell so we can afford to go back over to England to look at Unis. I'm upset at having to sell some of them but don't have a choice. Some only cost about £20 each but some of them were £100 each. I only bought them when I was flush and I had the money though. I mainly bought them because collecting them is not only a hobby of mine, but is somewhat a labour of love. But I also bought them as an investment; something to pass on to my son one day.
I always find designer clothes really tacky. Unless it's actually a good design or good quality or something cool as **** like a bear skin coat lol.

But usually it's just a pile of crap with some old guy's name plastered across it. So you're basically a walking advertisement for that company. If you're a designer and you slap your name across your design in massive writing then it's just sh*t to me and you're a crap designer imo.
(edited 6 years ago)
Idk but it's ****ing annoying especially when they moan about how broke they are and how bad things are for them then proceed to spend money on pointless expensive things they don't need. I know quite a few people like this.

Latest

Trending

Trending