The Student Room Group

Is doing an open book past paper useless ?

My geography exam is in 2 weeks and I haven't done a past paper yet or learned my notes, I'm confident I can learn my notes in a couple days by reading my flashcards over again because I have been blessed with that type of brain, I haven't done this yet and I need to do past papers for exam technique, there's gaps in my knowledge so would using my notes while doing them help me learn them and also help my exam technique ?
Or shall i wait till i learned my notes , help !
Original post by qpzm123
My geography exam is in 2 weeks and I haven't done a past paper yet or learned my notes, I'm confident I can learn my notes in a couple days by reading my flashcards over again because I have been blessed with that type of brain, I haven't done this yet and I need to do past papers for exam technique, there's gaps in my knowledge so would using my notes while doing them help me learn them and also help my exam technique ?
Or shall i wait till i learned my notes , help !

It isn't useless per se, as by at least going through the paper you are beginning to learn the question styles, identify how long to spend on each question etc. However, doing past papers under exam conditions (timed, no notes etc), is generally a better form of revision in my opinion, as it is a more realistic indicator of how much information you have retained (assuming you have attempted to revise your notes beforehand)
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
It isn't useless per se, as by at least going through the paper you are beginning to learn the question styles, identify how long to spend on each question etc. However, doing past papers under exam conditions (timed, no notes etc), is generally a better form of revision in my opinion, as it is a more realistic indicator of how much information you have retained (assuming you have attempted to revise your notes beforehand)

How about this, I do a couple past papers with my notes , then couple days before the exam I'll do it without my notes (I would of learned them by then)
Original post by qpzm123
How about this, I do a couple past papers with my notes , then couple days before the exam I'll do it without my notes (I would of learned them by then)

That sounds fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest