The Student Room Group

Why do Christians not wear headscarfs?

Just wondering why, because in the Bible it clearly states that a woman should cover her head for modesty.

In 1 Corinthians 11:7–9 Paul writes:
For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.

In verse 6 Paul explains,
“For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, let her cover her head”

Similar ideologies are presented in Jewish scriptures, but i didn't include them out of fear that this will be too long.

Why all the stigma around Muslims and their head-scarfs when the Bible is so much more strict when demanding Christian women to wear the headscarf? And most of all, why do they now wear them if they are clearly advised to do so?

Scroll to see replies

Coz Christian women DONT wear the headscarf LDO

I don't know why Christian women dont wear headscarfs, I will ring my mate Pope Francis in a min after he has finished on the gary glitter
As a Catholic I follow not only Bible but the documents issued by the Catholic Church. According to current documents I do not have to wear. However, if I follow Tridentine Mass I would be encouraged to wear mantilla during the mass.
Because in this day and age there is no reason to!!!
It was certainly cultural 2000 years ago. But religion is supposed to progress with society.
Some churches require you to cover your head when entering, particularly catholic ones Especially in Italy and Spain. And you'll find lots of ladies, particularly in African churches who wouldn't be seen without a Sunday best hat!!
I'm pretty sure God couldn't care less if I wear a head covering or not.
Original post by yesmynameis
Just wondering why,?

Because most people living in European and north American former Christian countries have been educated rationally and have realised that such documents were produced to impose a particular way of life on superstitious desert peoples in ancient times, and thoes rules are no longer relevant or desireable, just as the superstitions themselves are also known to be nonsense.

The rest of the world, with better education, will catch up eventually.
Just wondering why, because in the Bible it clearly states that a woman should cover her head for modesty.

For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.

“For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, let her cover her head”

Similar ideologies are presented in Jewish scriptures, but i didn't include them out of fear that this will be too long.

Why all the stigma around Muslims and their head-scarfs when the Bible is so much more strict when demanding Christian women to wear the headscarf? And most of all, why do they now wear them if they are clearly advised to do so?

Hey there :smile:

First of all, you seem to have misinterpreted the passage. I’m a Catholic and I don’t wear any sort of head coverings while I’m at Church for the following reasons:

- The Bible does not state that women “should” cover their head for “modesty”; it’s a sign of honour and glory. Nowhere in the whole passage does it even mention the word “modesty”. St Paul even says that a ‘women’s hair is her glory’ so covering it would definitely not be an act of modesty. Modest clothing is only mentioned a few times in the Bible and none of them say what women should or shouldn’t wear or how much skin women can show
- Secondly, you have missed the context of this. This was a letter of St Paul to the Corinthians about head coverings when a woman PRAYS. Not about day to day life
- Even if it is for praying, few, if any, wear head coverings at Church here in the UK. This is because, as I said, this was written by St Paul. It is not a commandment from the Lord. St Paul was an apostle. Apostles were humans and made mistakes. Just like St Peter did when he denied Jesus 3 times. This shows that apostles can also be wrong
- Jesus, who we are told to follow, said the first and greatest commandment is that “you shall love God” and the second is “love your neighbour as you love yourself. On these two commandments hang ALL the law and ALL the prophets”. Christians are called to follow God’s commandments and these two are the only ones you need to follow. For if you follow these you will automatically be following all others :smile:
- Lastly the Bible is definitely not “more strict” and doesn’t “demand” women to wear headscarfs. Headscarfs are not at all mentioned! You have cut this passage short. St Paul goes onto say that men are not allowed to have long hair and women should have long hair. “For long hair is given to her as a covering”. Long hair! That’s right, St Paul is talking about women’s long hair as her covering. All through the passage he talks about how women should cover their HEAD not their HAIR. And our head covering is our hair :smile:

I think there’s more stigma around Muslim women because Christian women are not commanded to do so but Muslim women are. And in some countries they are required by law to wear one which goes against their freedom because there are still women who doesn’t want to wear it but are forced to.

Hope this helps :smile: If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me x
Reply 6

Because here it's not god speaking, but Paul.
Original post by Josb

*God
Reply 8
Original post by Josb

God is speaking.
Reply 9
Original post by Racoon
God is speaking.

No, Paul wrote these letters, not God. The New Testament was written by men, Matthew, Mark, Luke, etc.
Reply 10
Original post by Josb
No, Paul wrote these letters, not God. The New Testament was written by men, Matthew, Mark, Luke, etc.

Obviously they were penned by man but inspired by God.
Original post by Racoon
Obviously they were penned by man but inspired by God.

It would be correct and less controversial to say that they were written by a man who was inspired by his obsessive belief in a god. Virtually all people at that time believed in gods, but most were not obsessive about it, especially not enough to devote their lives to proselytising about it.
Because it's a cultural practice at that time, much like the 'holy kiss' was
Reply 13

Wow Paul was a bit of a dick wasn't he.
Reply 14
Original post by Good bloke
It would be correct and less controversial to say that they were written by a man who was inspired by his obsessive belief in a god. Virtually all people at that time believed in gods, but most were not obsessive about it, especially not enough to devote their lives to proselytising about it.

If you lived in that era you too might have been overwhelmed by the truth of God to do the same.
Reply 15
Original post by Moura
Wow Paul was a bit of a dick wasn't he.

It might be quite good to educate yourself on the history of that time.
Original post by hopeless2
Hey there :smile:

First of all, you seem to have misinterpreted the passage. I’m a Catholic and I don’t wear any sort of head coverings while I’m at Church for the following reasons:

- The Bible does not state that women “should” cover their head for “modesty”; it’s a sign of honour and glory. Nowhere in the whole passage does it even mention the word “modesty”. St Paul even says that a ‘women’s hair is her glory’ so covering it would definitely not be an act of modesty. Modest clothing is only mentioned a few times in the Bible and none of them say what women should or shouldn’t wear or how much skin women can show
- Secondly, you have missed the context of this. This was a letter of St Paul to the Corinthians about head coverings when a woman PRAYS. Not about day to day life
- Even if it is for praying, few, if any, wear head coverings at Church here in the UK. This is because, as I said, this was written by St Paul. It is not a commandment from the Lord. St Paul was an apostle. Apostles were humans and made mistakes. Just like St Peter did when he denied Jesus 3 times. This shows that apostles can also be wrong
- Jesus, who we are told to follow, said the first and greatest commandment is that “you shall love God” and the second is “love your neighbour as you love yourself. On these two commandments hang ALL the law and ALL the prophets”. Christians are called to follow God’s commandments and these two are the only ones you need to follow. For if you follow these you will automatically be following all others :smile:
- Lastly the Bible is definitely not “more strict” and doesn’t “demand” women to wear headscarfs. Headscarfs are not at all mentioned! You have cut this passage short. St Paul goes onto say that men are not allowed to have long hair and women should have long hair. “For long hair is given to her as a covering”. Long hair! That’s right, St Paul is talking about women’s long hair as her covering. All through the passage he talks about how women should cover their HEAD not their HAIR. And our head covering is our hair :smile:

I think there’s more stigma around Muslim women because Christian women are not commanded to do so but Muslim women are. And in some countries they are required by law to wear one which goes against their freedom because there are still women who doesn’t want to wear it but are forced to.

Hope this helps :smile: If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me x
This. Long hair is a woman's glory, just as (as was written by one of the Desert Fathers) the beard is a man's glory. That's why Orthodox Christian men grow beards.

But yeah, I can't really add anything to that - except that it's a refreshing change to see a Catholic speaking from an apparently open mind. I haven't seen that very often.
Original post by Racoon
If you lived in that era you too might have been overwhelmed by the truth of God to do the same.

I agree. Fortunately, I have lived at a time when science and rationailty have developed significantly, have an open mind, have not suffered unduly from childhood indoctrination, and have inhabited a wealthy country with good free education for all, so I have been spared the ordeal of being ruled by superstition.
Reply 18
Original post by Good bloke
I agree. Fortunately, I have lived at a time when science and rationailty have developed significantly, have an open mind, have not suffered unduly from childhood indoctrination, and have inhabited a wealthy country with good free education for all, so I have been spared the ordeal of being ruled by superstition.

The gain you have in living today is that you can now see, even more clearly, how amazing God's creativity is, and science confirms it.
Original post by Racoon
The gain you have in living today is that you can now see, even more clearly, how amazing God's creativity is, and science confirms it.

:toofunny:

Come on then, furnish us with the links that prove that a deity created it all. I can't wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending