The Student Room Group

N5 Latin 2017

Hello.
Not many probably do Latin, but for those that do, how did you find the exam?
Translation very easy, Ovid reasonable, Catullus a bit trickier.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Catullus was hard, I found. Cicero was better. Translation was great.
Yes, the Catullus was hard.
That 4 mark question on "humour"?
SQA haven't standardised any of the 3 previous papers, so hopefully they won't do it this time, as that translation was really easy.
Reply 3
Yeah that question was particularly challenging.
What did you write for "What word choice does Catullus use to show that he and lesbia had happier times together for poem 6"
And also "why does Catullus tell himself to stop being foolish?"
What do you mean by standardise?
Original post by KateM04
Yeah that question was particularly challenging.
What did you write for "What word choice does Catullus use to show that he and lesbia had happier times together for poem 6"
And also "why does Catullus tell himself to stop being foolish?"
What do you mean by standardise?

When they standardise, they change the grade boundaries depending on how easy/hard the exam was.

For "foolish", I said that he is still following Lesbia and feels unable to break free from her, and cannot yet come to terms with the fact that their relationship had ended, along with a quote from the text.
For "word choice" - I used the repetition of "bright suns once shone for you", and "those scenes which you wanted and your girlfriend didn't not want" and basically explained why those scenes were happy and said how "bright suns" had connotations of happiness.
The Poem 9 Questions were the only easy ones in that section of the paper, some of the others were OK, and the first one was fine, but it was pretty tricky.

Translation was very easy.
Reply 5
Thanks for that.
I got very similar things to you for poem 6 questions.
For the humour question I put the cobwebs and the nose part, but could think of anything else. I'm hoping that I will get a mark for a point and a mark for explanation.
What about you?
Can someone please take pictures of the full paper
Original post by KateM04
Thanks for that.
I got very similar things to you for poem 6 questions.
For the humour question I put the cobwebs and the nose part, but could think of anything else. I'm hoping that I will get a mark for a point and a mark for explanation.
What about you?

Put both of them down as well, but didn't really know how to explain it. Hopefully got 2/4 in the Q.
I also put down "sal" meaning "salt", but in the context, meaning "wit" - Just as salt adds flavour to food, so too does wit add flavour to a conversation, however, I don't think that relates to Q.
Original post by Tom Lewis
Can someone please take pictures of the full paper

I haven't got one, hope that someone does have it. Wish SQA would put it on the site, without the Marking Scheme.
I haven't got one either. Although this is what I can remember from Catullus

Poem 4
Show that does Catullus not believe lesbia

Poem 6
Why does Catullus call himself "foolish"
What word choice does Catullus use to show that he and lesbia had happier times together

Poem 7
Humour

Poem 9
Behaviour at dinner parties
Who would you prefer to be at a party with
Reply 11
I know it's been a while since the exam, but would anyone still like the paper? I have both the translation and the literary appreciation.
Original post by MPM17
I know it's been a while since the exam, but would anyone still like the paper? I have both the translation and the literary appreciation.

Yes please
Yes, that would be great.
Reply 14
Catullus.jpg
Reply 17
Here you go sorry for the wait, technology isn't my strong point.
Thank you very much
Original post by MPM17
Here you go sorry for the wait, technology isn't my strong point.

Thanks. Could you post Virgil as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending