The Student Room Group

Could you ever live with a gambling addict

I know i couldn't what about you lot

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Straight no. Addicts of any kind will ruin your life as well as theirs. Worst part about gamblers is that they will clean out their bank account, and yours.
Reply 2
Original post by Another
Straight no. Addicts of any kind will ruin your life as well as theirs. Worst part about gamblers is that they will clean out their bank account, and yours.

Trust me gambling is the worst thing you can be addicted to I wanna stay for away from those sort of people
Definitely not.
Reply 4
Original post by Fermion.
Definitely not.

Same what if you was living with a close family member and you found out they was a gambling addict and they used you for money would you move away from them
Original post by Anonymous
Same what if you was living with a close family member and you found out they was a gambling addict and they used you for money would you move away from them

I would cut off contact completely until they realised I'm not just a loan shark, but at the same time I would tell them what they are doing is wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)
If they were actively trying to get help for their addiction by going to therapy- maybe. There's no point to any relationship if there's no trust.
There is very few things I would say that I could never put up with and this isn't one of them.

It is bad but there are varying degrees and for someone who meant enough, I could deal with it.

If it isn't my money, it's not my business. The only time it would be my money is if it was my spouse and I don't think it is divorce worthy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Fermion.
I would cut off contact completely until they realised I'm not just a loan shark, but at the same time I would tell them what they are doing is wrong.

What if that was your mum and same gambling addicts think where just a walking bank gamblers think they would win big but most of the times they lose big and what if they say they will stop but they don't
Reply 9
Original post by Lemons1990
If they were actively trying to get help for their addiction by going to therapy- maybe. There's no point to any relationship if there's no trust.

What if they don't get help and always steal from you and using you for money I don't trust no gambling addicts sounds heartless but it is what it is
Straight NO - don't matter how close you and me are.
Original post by Sternumator
There is very few things I would say that I could never put up with and this isn't one of them.

It is bad but there are varying degrees and for someone who meant enough, I could deal with it.

If it isn't my money, it's not my business. The only time it would be my money is if it was my spouse and I don't think it is divorce worthy.

What if they stole from and used you for money like they gambled £40 everyday with your money wouldn't you be pissed
Original post by JuSt_Do_It_
Straight NO - don't matter how close you and me are.

What if it was your mother
What if they don't get help and always steal from you and using you for money I don't trust no gambling addicts sounds heartless but it is what it is

A straight no. You have to draw the line somewhere. You're not selfish or heartless for putting yourself first.
Original post by Lemons1990
A straight no. You have to draw the line somewhere. You're not selfish or heartless for putting yourself first.

Your right you know it's best to not even start gambling in the first place
What if they stole from and used you for money like they gambled £40 everyday with your money wouldn't you be pissed

Then we have a problem but that is because they are a thief not because they are a gambler. I would equally have a problem if they stole £40 and donated it to charity. How they spend their money is not my business, however.

I don't like giving people a label and then tarring them all with the same brush.

Gambling doesn't turn you into a thief they are not really related. I doubt there is even much of a correlation. Gambling addicts are still in control of their actions and they know that stealing is not right.

"Gambling addict" is vaguely defined. I judge people by their actions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
No way, i'll just kick em' straight out of the house! You'll lose all your money from North, South, East, West and Centre because of it!
A lot of people here are giving this answer a straight no...

They're mostly right, thought i'm going to add my 2 cents into this debate by saying that I would be able to live with a gambling addict. But their problems are just that: their problems. Therefore I will not pay of any debts that occur to them and establish boundaries to prevent oneself from being dragged into the cycle of debt to minimise personal risk.

If anything, I would attempt to discourage them from gambling, and personally support them during this process by getting them the help they need and being there for them, before the effects of their gambling habits spiral out of control here. What is wrong is that many people on this thread are enabling the attitudes that gambling addicts have, by simply refusing to recognise that their habits are having a significantly negative effects on themselves and the implications this could have in the future for both parties involved.
Reply 18
I know i couldn't what about you lot

As long they ain't using my money, idc.
Original post by Sternumator
Then we have a problem but that is because they are a thief not because they are a gambler. I would equally have a problem if they stole £40 and donated it to charity. How they spend their money is not my business, however.

I don't like giving people a label and then tarring them all with the same brush.

Gambling doesn't turn you into a thief they are not really related. I doubt there is even much of a correlation. Gambling addicts are still in control of their actions and they know that stealing is not right.

"Gambling addict" is vaguely defined. I judge people by their actions.

Your right in a way what if you don't wanna give the gambler any money and they steal from you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending