The Student Room Group

Do you support fox hunting becoming legal again in The UK?

Poll

Do you think fox hunting should be legal again in The UK?

So I read today in the news that Theresa May wants to bring back fox hunting and plans to give MPs a chance to vote on the matter.

What are your views on this? Do you believe the ban should stay in place or that it should become legal again? Why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Spock's Socks
So I read today in the news that Theresa May wants to bring back fox hunting and plans to give MPs a chance to vote on the matter.

What are your views on this? Do you believe the ban should stay in place or that it should become legal again? Why?

I'm very against it. Does she even have a reason?

I remember talking about it for a speech in year 7 English class, as we had to talk about something we were against (Someone told me afterwards that it was illegal anyway, but hey-ho).

What they do is shoot a fox and throw them into a pack of dogs or something. Pretty inhumane stuff :frown:
No, we've been getting along fine without it. It's unneccessary.
Reply 3
Original post by Hopson97
I'm very against it. Does she even have a reason?

I remember talking about it for a speech in year 7 English class, as we had to talk about something we were against (Someone told me afterwards that it was illegal anyway, but hey-ho).

What they do is shoot a fox and throw them into a pack of dogs or something. Pretty inhumane stuff :frown:

I am against it too. I don't know many people who do support it. I haven't yet read any reason for her decision other than this quote - "As it happens, personally I have always been in favour of fox hunting, and we maintain our commitment, we have had a commitment previously as a Conservative Party, to allow a free vote."
Original post by Friffinghell
No, we've been getting along fine without it. It's unneccessary.

Most thing are unnecessary, something being unnecessary is not a reason to ban it, nor is not liking it
Never. Shooting animals for fun is so cowardly.

Only time it's acceptable in my opinion is when farmers need to protect their livestock then they can hunt them on their property.
I agree. Blood sports do not provide anything useful other than to allow humans to commit so called justifiable suffering on a living creature.
There is no reason to legalise it again
100% against it. Tbh if I could vote this is a game changer for me.
I understand the rural community saying the number of foxes should be controlled. But there's a way to do it. What makes me uncomfortable about fox hunting is the fact they make such a bloody big deal of it and enjoy it. Shoot them in the head or set poison down for them[ although that might kill other animals too, so perhaps not a great suggestion]. It's not that they are actually killed that I have a problem with. We kill cows and pigs and sheep in their millions every year for our dinner table. But the cows, pigs and sheep are not hunted and then ripped apart while still alive; while the people forcing the dogs to do this are thoroughly enjoying themselves. That's sick.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Most thing are unnecessary, something being unnecessary is not a reason to ban it, nor is not liking it

The question posed is "do you support it".
When it first happened I was in favour of the ban. But I came to realise it was more a spiteful desire on my part against toffs.

I don't remotely support hunting and killing a fox for fun. But as an omnivore, it would be hypocritical of me to protest it while still eating animals.

I think mine and most other people's contempt of fox hunting is derived from just disliking toffs in general and wanting a law to spite them.

Frankly, there are bigger issues than foxes being hunted. I might not like the idea of hunting and killing an animal for sport, but then I like eating animals so who am I to judge.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel

It was banned on the basis of animal cruelty. Post-ban there has been no side effects. No notable increase in 'vermin'.

So the non-sporting justifications for it were unfounded.

Just because somebody likes something doesn't mean it's a valid choice either.
Reply 12
If the number of foxes in an area is too high and it's affecting the habitat then it's fine. Otherwise not.
Yes I support it, as long as no endangered species are hunted and it's done sustainably.
Yes it's good, it's a tradition that many people enjoy and it doesn't really harm anyone except the foxes so it's not a big deal. I don't have a problem with it at all, especially since I don't really like foxes and they a real more of a pest than a pet
The fox population needs to be controlled and if anyone tries to argue against that then they need to spend a few weeks out in the countryside looking after any sort of domestic animal, including pets, when there are lots of foxes about.
The only method currently available is shooting, having been out shooting foxes, getting a clear shot where the fox dies in one shot is difficult and more often then not you end up following a trail of blood which sometimes leads to a dead fox but more often than not, no fox as it ends up staggering about for up to a day or two whilst the wound gets worse or it dies of starvation unable to catch food.
Fox hunting on the other hand is quick, yes the fox has to be chased and caught but that at least gives it the chance to get away unharmed, which it frequently would if it's strong and healthy. If on the other hand it is caught, the hounds kill it instantly or it goes to ground and is dug up/chased out so a clean shot with a gun kills it. If I was a fox I'd take my chances with the hounds any day over a gun.
As for only the idea only posh people hunt, anyone who has been to a hunt meet knows that poeple from all walks of life go, including people who have to save up to be able to afford to hire a horse occasionally throughout the season.
If it was purely about killing foxes then hunting would of died out with the ban, but it hasn't, so why not let the hounds do a job they were bred for and kill the fox as part of a pest control programme, and then a few fewer foxes would suffer a horrendous death at the end of a gun.
Seems a bit unnecessary to repeal the act - fox hunting is still legal as long as you don't intentionally have the dog kill the fox. At the same time if you're still going to allow fox hunting why not allow the dogs to kill them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks

Killing animals for sport isn't fair but culling them is. I can support fox culling but not hunting; are foxes even that numerous to be culled?
Im very against it.

TBH its a "sport" for the rich folk, the majority of the public are against it im sure, though they wont get a say in the matter lolo
I'm not sure I know enough about it to take a position, although my own natural inclination would be to allow people to carry on with whatever they've been doing, and I wouldn't ban hunting for sport in general, especially where there's some justification for it such as keeping numbers under control.

On the other hand, I don't think most people who are against it know a whole lot about it, either. A lot of people are either in it because it's fashionable to oppose it or because they have a vague idea that it's for the rich, and the rich should be stopped (presumably they'd also ban polo and croquet).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending