The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL - Eczema Support Thread

Do you have eczema or know someone who does?

I want this forum to be a place where we can all learn from each other. Of course, none of us are medical professionals, so if it is serious or you are unsure, always seek medical attention. However, it would be nice to share experiences and support one another.

So I'll start:

I've had it since a baby and it wasn't pretty. Even the doctors struggled to control it. It's getting better now, but does flare occasionally (as it is doing right now) but hopefully I know enough to control it :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I have it on the back of my hands and on the inside of below bits.
Reply 2
I don't have eczema but my mum does and I've seen the agony and itching its caused her. I have psoriasis instead, I know full well how crap skin conditions can be :frown: mine started when I was 12 and then randomly disappeared for 10+ years and came back last year and hasn't left or improved much since. It feels like you can't do anything to help skin conditions - you try the creams, the shampoos, lowering your stress levels but nothing works and then one day it just randomly improves...but then a few days later it flares back up fully again and as worse as ever :facepalm:or maybe that's just my evil skin :teehee:

Its hard to accept any skin condition, especially as many of them can't be cured, only managed but I believe that a huge part of treating and managing a skin condition is to accept it and maybe I haven't yet. I think maybe I am trying too hard to get rid of my psoriasis and you know what its like, when you try and get rid of something, the longer it stays :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
I have eczema. I had really bad eczema on the back of my right knee for a year and a half which 'looked like third degree burns'

Luckily after several different moisturising creams and lotions, we found one that worked :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got diagnosed with eczema when I was 5, took years to be free of it until when I was 12 i realized it got worse when i drunk certain drinks so i cut them out completely and fortunately until december i hadnt had any issues in years, then i had a flare up and it took a could 6 weeks for my skin to heal then now the skin on my legs hasn't been great for a couple of weeks but seems to be healing (although i've got some scars from it now).

I've been considering further cutting additives out but it's difficult to have that willpower. My fiance suffers from it much worse than I do and gets it on his back and hands but he's kind of accepted it and only puts creams on when he's really bothered by it.
i have eczema on my upper back and neck and i just want to cry because i had spicy food yesterday and i itched my neck to hell

my face is white whilst my neck and upper back are grey and discoloured.

i cried myself to sleep lol
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by brainzistheword
Do you have eczema or know someone who does?

I want this forum to be a place where we can all learn from each other. Of course, none of us are medical professionals, so if it is serious or you are unsure, always seek medical attention. However, it would be nice to share experiences and support one another.

So I'll start:

I've had it since a baby and it wasn't pretty. Even the doctors struggled to control it. It's getting better now, but does flare occasionally (as it is doing right now) but hopefully I know enough to control it :smile:

Seriously??
This is a good idea OP :smile: I've had it since I was a baby too. It was really bad as a child and in my teens. My mum used to bandage up my arms and legs when I slept as I'd scratch them until I bled otherwise. I don't have too many flare ups now thankfully.
Original post by Kyx
I have eczema. I had really bad eczema on the back of my right knee for a year and a half which 'looked like third degree burns'

Luckily after several different moisturising creams and lotions, we found one that worked :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

what cream worked for you? :smile:
Reply 9
I used to have it at a young age of 5 but I spent 6 weeks in a very hot and sunny country and i never had any symptoms again. This goes the same for cousins too.
Original post by ugaaa5
Seriously??

Seriously what? :smile:
Seriously what? :smile:

Why is this needed?
Original post by ugaaa5
Why is this needed?

Because eczema is common, and like many other things in this world, people may find it useful to talk about them.

If people do not wish to comment then that is absolutely fine, but as you can see, a number of people are willing to share their stories.
It runs in my dads side of the family but it didn't start with me until my early teens. It flares up a lot during the winter as my skin goes really dry due to the lack of humidity. Its not bad in the summer though.
Original post by Spock's Socks
I don't have eczema but my mum does and I've seen the agony and itching its caused her. I have psoriasis instead, I know full well how crap skin conditions can be :frown: mine started when I was 12 and then randomly disappeared for 10+ years and came back last year and hasn't left or improved much since. It feels like you can't do anything to help skin conditions - you try the creams, the shampoos, lowering your stress levels but nothing works and then one day it just randomly improves...but then a few days later it flares back up fully again and as worse as ever :facepalm:or maybe that's just my evil skin :teehee:

Its hard to accept any skin condition, especially as many of them can't be cured, only managed but I believe that a huge part of treating and managing a skin condition is to accept it and maybe I haven't yet. I think maybe I am trying too hard to get rid of my psoriasis and you know what its like, when you try and get rid of something, the longer it stays :tongue:

This can't be easy for either of you. It's also strange how people can have episodes of calm before everything returns to wreak havoc. Mine is so temperamental but like you say, you just have to go through the motions of creams and other methods.

I completely understand what you mean about coming to terms with everything, though I think this will be something that takes time and there is no quick solution :smile:

Have you ever had any issues with people commenting on your skin? (Feel free not to answer of course) :h:
Because eczema is common, and like many other things in this world, people may find it useful to talk about them.

If people do not wish to comment then that is absolutely fine, but as you can see, a number of people are willing to share their stories.

I have eczema and have had it since it was a baby. In fact, probably more severe than 99% of people (not as much anymore) here while people are saying "Oh I need to apply some lotion to a small patch on my finger".
This need to talk about small issues only comes from shortsightedness about other issues that other people face. Maybe you people should get a grip on reality.
This can't be easy for either of you. It's also strange how people can have episodes of calm before everything returns to wreak havoc. Mine is so temperamental but like you say, you just have to go through the motions of creams and other methods.

I completely understand what you mean about coming to terms with everything, though I think this will be something that takes time and there is no quick solution :smile:

Have you ever had any issues with people commenting on your skin? (Feel free not to answer of course) :h:

My psoriasis now is only on my scalp so its always covered which is a relief but when it was noticeable years ago on my legs and arms, I did get a few nasty remarks here and there from kids at my school
Original post by ugaaa5
I have eczema and have had it since it was a baby. In fact, probably more severe than 99% of people (not as much anymore) here while people are saying "Oh I need to apply some lotion to a small patch on my finger".
This need to talk about small issues only comes from shortsightedness about other issues that other people face. Maybe you people should get a grip on reality.

I'm sorry to hear that you've gone through this, and I understand that there are many conditions much worse than this.

However, you don't know the full extent of what everyone on here has gone through, only your personal circumstances, so I would advise that you respect them and don't tell them to "get a grip".
Original post by Spock's Socks
My psoriasis now is only on my scalp so its always covered which is a relief but when it was noticeable years ago on my legs and arms, I did get a few nasty remarks here and there from kids at my school

Ah I see! Well at least it is not widespread then :smile: it can be annoying when people are inconsiderate of these things - I know I got picked on a lot, and still do :h:
I'm sorry to hear that you've gone through this, and I understand that there are many conditions much worse than this.

However, you don't know the full extent of what everyone on here has gone through, only your personal circumstances, so I would advise that you respect them and don't tell them to "get a grip".

And you have no idea what I've been through, in fact you have assumed. Does it feel good to be a hypocrite?

Quick Reply

Latest