The Student Room Group

How do I study for higher modern studies?

I have been having difficulties in writing an essay in modern studies, I am so confused at this point, please I need help.
Well I have made a few essay plans. So if it's a 12 marker I will do 2 PEEREeL'S and if it is a 20 marker 4 PEEREeL's. So just try to get as many as you can done for as many types of questions.

P- Point
E- Example
E - Explain
R- Rebuttal (However....)
E- Example
E- Explain
L - Link back to the question.
Original post by Temitayo
I have been having difficulties in writing an essay in modern studies, I am so confused at this point, please I need help.

What topics are you doing for your essays?
You just need to make sure you have recent information and analysis in your essays :smile:

I'm also doing modern studies, what point are you confused at? So far I've just been writing essays on questions that could come up and I've made a few essay plans as well as I find them helpful.
Reply 4
Original post by sabrinaclark23
I'm also doing modern studies, what point are you confused at? So far I've just been writing essays on questions that could come up and I've made a few essay plans as well as I find them helpful.

am confused on the world power, we did South Africa in my school, and I do not know the relevant point to used when it comes to the poiltical and the influence on other countries.
am confused on the world power, we did South Africa in my school, and I do not know the relevant point to used when it comes to the poiltical and the influence on other countries.

I'm also doing that! I'm confident on the political aspect but I am yet to focus on the influences to the world. Basically, for the political essay you have to establish in the introduction that there has only been one political party in power since apartheid ended in the 1970's, (the ANC) and state that you're going to discuss how democratic the country has been since they have been in power. For this you could write paragraphs on the South African consititution, the opposition of other parties including the DA, and the EFF as this is obviously more democratic if other parties are challenging the ANC as it's better representation and voters have more choice etc, how they have a free press as this allows newspapers to criticise the work of the government, the independent judiciary, and you could also mention the political system used as its PR which is very democratic. However, South Africa is still unequal and there is still many problems so make sure you mention these too as the country is not entirely democratic, I hope this helps! Sorry I couldn't help on the other essay, I'm yet to figure it out too :smile:)
Original post by sabrinaclark23

what are these "questions that could come up"?

I'm going to have little time for Modern Studies so I just want to focus on key areas because there's no way in hell I'll be able to learn everything.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nubivagant

I'm going to have little time for Modern Studies so I just want to focus on key areas because there's no way in hell I'll be able to learn everything.

What topics are you doing?

Basically I've just been going through discontinued higher past papers and picking ones from there and also the St. Andrews modern studies blog is good as it tells you in each PowerPoint essay questions you could be asked

I'm not going to have time either though as I have business on Tuesday, I think I'm just gonna have to memorise essays
This might be really bad advice but last year for N5 I made up every bit of evidence and got 96% - they don't fact check no matter what they tell you . However , revise , just go over the main topics and create an essay plan for each and memorise the bullet points in that
Reply 11
Has anyone got any essay plans they are willing to share, I will give you the multiple ones I have in return :smile:
Democracy in Scotland and UK
Social Issues
USA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ruthmckay00
This might be really bad advice but last year for N5 I made up every bit of evidence and got 96% - they don't fact check no matter what they tell you . However , revise , just go over the main topics and create an essay plan for each and memorise the bullet points in that

I too did the same and got 100%.
As long as the evidence is not something the marker would know. E.g you couldn't raise suspicions by saying 2% of MPs are female because they would know.

If you be general like "studies have found that..."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending