The Student Room Group

I'm stuck. A Level choices and Law degree.

So I really want to study Law in University and I've been told I can take any A Level subjects. I really really want to do textiles as one of them subjects but I'm afraid it'll be considered too "soft". I just love textiles and I'm wondering whether any Russel Group universities would accept me with a textile A Level as one of three regardless if I achieve an A or A* in the subject.
Original post by H5gs8g
So I really want to study Law in University and I've been told I can take any A Level subjects. I really really want to do textiles as one of them subjects but I'm afraid it'll be considered too "soft". I just love textiles and I'm wondering whether any Russel Group universities would accept me with a textile A Level as one of three regardless if I achieve an A or A* in the subject.

The best way is to contact the uni direct. It would be easier if your other two were enabling grade subjects. You can normally get away with one soft subject, but not sure textiles is academic enough.

Why not do 4 A levels or 3 A levels and a BTEC?
wth u scared me i thought i posted this. we have the same dp LOL.
jk
(edited 6 years ago)
Same as above ^^ Also, perhaps do 3 more academically based subjects and have textiles as your fourth one that you could drop if the workload becomes too much?
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
The best way is to contact the uni direct. It would be easier if your other two were enabling grade subjects. You can normally get away with one soft subject, but not sure textiles is academic enough.

Why not do 4 A levels or 3 A levels and a BTEC?

Would English Language, Sociology and textiles seem ok? :/
Yh I've thought about an additional BTEC but it might end up being way too much work for me..
Reply 5
Original post by saffarinda
Same as above ^^ Also, perhaps do 3 more academically based subjects and have textiles as your fourth one that you could drop if the workload becomes too much?

Right would you consider English lang, English lit, sociology and textiles ok then?
Original post by H5gs8g
Would English Language, Sociology and textiles seem ok? :/
Yh I've thought about an additional BTEC but it might end up being way too much work for me..

English is fine. Sociology is not a facilitating subject.

Does textiles involve a portfolio and creating fashion? I dont thnk it will be academic enough. If you are that good then why not a textiles or fashion degree?
Original post by H5gs8g
Right would you consider English lang, English lit, sociology and textiles ok then?

As far as I know, you can't do english language as it's own separate A-Level, just Lit&Lang combined. But doing them with another A-Level (a humanities would look really good if you've done them: any language, geography, history etc.)
Reply 8
Original post by H5gs8g

I know people who have gotten into medicine who do art so you will be fine with textiles.

Original post by H5gs8g

The sociology, however, isnt a facilitating subject- possibly switch to psycology? or just focus on the three (Eng lit+lang and textiles)

I have an offer for law and I do History, Politics and Psychology
Reply 9
Original post by Pugglet
I know people who have gotten into medicine who do art so you will be fine with textiles.

The sociology, however, isnt a facilitating subject- possibly switch to psycology? or just focus on the three (Eng lit+lang and textiles)

I have an offer for law and I do History, Politics and Psychology

Yeah I think Eng lit and lang with textiles would be good as I'm confident I'll actually get good grades in them. Which university have you gotten an offer from if you don't mind me asking
Original post by saffarinda
As far as I know, you can't do english language as it's own separate A-Level, just Lit&Lang combined. But doing them with another A-Level (a humanities would look really good if you've done them: any language, geography, history etc.)

English Language is offered as a standalone A Level subject, not as much as English Literature however. OP, maybe switch Sociology with Psychology if possible? English Language is also a great subject and although appears soft, isn't as soft as people deem it to be.
Original post by H5gs8g
Yeah I think Eng lit and lang with textiles would be good as I'm confident I'll actually get good grades in them. Which university have you gotten an offer from if you don't mind me asking

I had offers from Newcastle, Leeds, and Northumbria.
I picked Northumbria as my firm as I love the Mlaw degree they do
Reply 12
Original post by Rhythmical
English Language is offered as a standalone A Level subject, not as much as English Literature however. OP, maybe switch Sociology with Psychology if possible? English Language is also a great subject and although appears soft, isn't as soft as people deem it to be.

I'm thinking of doing year 12 again you see and choosing subjects I know I'll get good grades in. I'm currently studying English Language and I love it but I just need to think of 2 other subjects that I'll love and also allow me to study Law. I'll consider Psychology although I prefer sociology more but I guess I can make one sacrifice.
Original post by H5gs8g
I'm thinking of doing year 12 again you see and choosing subjects I know I'll get good grades in. I'm currently studying English Language and I love it but I just need to think of 2 other subjects that I'll love and also allow me to study Law. I'll consider Psychology although I prefer sociology more but I guess I can make one sacrifice.

History might be a good one, certainly for Law and possibly Maths? It's just a thought. I know for Law many people choose a variety of subjects to demonstrate their ability.
Original post by Rhythmical

Apologies then, my school only offers English Lit, and Lit&Lang combined.

Quick Reply

Latest