The Student Room Group

PhD loans for EU students

Hello everyone,

I am an EU student and I have been offered a full-time PhD position in a UK University. However, I do not have the funds to support the three years of my studies and I did not get the studentship I was hoping for.
I am now looking for other ideas in order to find solutions to my funding problem. I am aware that the UK government has given the opportunity to UK students to get PhD loans for their studies, but as far as I know, EU students are not yet eligible for such loans but is considering the possibility. I was wondering, are there any news regarding this decision and when there should be an official announcement? I would be grateful to anyone who has more information concerning the matter and would be as kind as to let me know.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Universities do have funding for EU students on a University Level. Brexit may change the situation in a few years.
Regarding loans, postgrad loans are only available for UK students. You can take a loan out privately, but you
will end up paying quite a bit of interest. I think HSBC loan £10,000 at 7% interest with a 5 year repayment period.
Reply 3
Original post by phdcandidate1
Hello everyone,

I am an EU student and I have been offered a full-time PhD position in a UK University. However, I do not have the funds to support the three years of my studies and I did not get the studentship I was hoping for.
I am now looking for other ideas in order to find solutions to my funding problem. I am aware that the UK government has given the opportunity to UK students to get PhD loans for their studies, but as far as I know, EU students are not yet eligible for such loans but is considering the possibility. I was wondering, are there any news regarding this decision and when there should be an official announcement? I would be grateful to anyone who has more information concerning the matter and would be as kind as to let me know.

Thanks

As per my reply elsewhere, there is currently no government PhD funding in the form of a loan for any students.
Reply 4
Original post by machupick
Universities do have funding for EU students on a University Level. Brexit may change the situation in a few years.

EU students can get limited undergraduate and Masters Student Finance loans, but there are no loans for a PhD.
Original post by Klix88
EU students can get limited undergraduate and Masters Student Finance loans, but there are no loans for a PhD.

The funding is via university studentships. Those they can give to anyone.
Reply 6
Regarding loans, postgrad loans are only available for UK students. You can take a loan out privately, but you
will end up paying quite a bit of interest. I think HSBC loan £10,000 at 7% interest with a 5 year repayment period.

EU students are eligible for the Student Finance Postgraduate Loan. This is a maximum of £10,000 but it does not apply to PhDs.

The Professional and Career Development Loan is the only commercial bank loan available tor studying. It is only offered by the Co-Op Bank. It cannot be used for a PhD.
Reply 7

PhD studentships can be provided by unis, Research Councils or other bodies. The OP has failed to get one of these.
Getting funding in PhD is very hard these days. If you do get funding, it will most likely be basic, i.e. £14,290 a year, which
will just about cover food and rent for the year. You won't be living like a king I can assure you.

Clearly incorrect since the vast majority of funding is targeted 'UK and EU applicants only', and from Research Councils, full funding is for UK only, plus EUs who fulfil the UK residency criteria, other EU only get a fees award.
There are italians in the university of surrey economics department who are on £17,500 a year full scholarships. Now tell me, how did they get that? Also a bangladeshi girl is on the same scholarship.

'The vast majority'.

And I think you'll find that Italy is in the EU.
Original post by returnmigrant
'The vast majority'.

And I think you'll find that Italy is in the EU.

There are people from all over the world getting these studentships, it's not a EU specific thing. If you apply for research councils then yes, it is EU and UK.
There are people from all over the world getting these studentships, it's not a EU specific thing. If you apply for research councils then yes, it is EU and UK.

If you are talking about 'departmental funding' (the Uni itself funding certain students), then yes of course a Uni can target whoever they want to, but that sort of funding is tiny in comparison to all the other funding out there, which isnt just 'Research Council' : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2551148&page=5
Hi,

Unfortunately the postgraduate tuition fee loan is only available for Master's level study, not PhD: https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan

We have a number of research scholarships (rather than loans) dependent on what area you want to study in. I think it would be worth you contacting any academic faculty that you have been given an offer to study in and see if they have any funding links that you can contact.

If you want to know more about the scholarships we offer at Bradford, just drop me a message :smile:

Good luck hunting!

Shelley
I don't like it when foreigners get funding in the UK when our UK born students get nothing. What is more ironic is when foreigners are teaching foreigners in the UK. University funding should be reserved for home grown students.

Why shouldn't they get funding if they have the academic potential - especially since UK PhD students get funding for PhDs all over Europe and beyond. The global academic community needs this sort of cross-cultural/background input. Without it University life would be very dull, and some important research - that benefits all of us - would never happen.

I think you may need to stop feeling quite so personally bitter and accept that PhD funding IS competitive.
Original post by returnmigrant
Why shouldn't they get funding if they have the academic potential - especially since UK PhD students get funding for PhDs all over Europe and beyond. The global academic community needs this sort of cross-cultural/background input. Without it University life would be very dull, and some important research - that benefits all of us - would never happen.

Because Britain cannot afford to fund our own PhD students!
IF other countries in the EU feel they can afford to do this that is their choice.

I think you may need to stop feeling quite so personally bitter and accept that PhD funding IS competitive.

Why should he just 'accept' something unjust?

Would you think it fair if your parents said we cannot afford to fund you to go to university because we are going to fund the boy who lives round the corner instead?

British tax payers are forced to fund EU students like it or not.
(edited 6 years ago)
Are you doing a PhD or have you done a PhD?

You are talking to a PhD student here who knows what the toxic environment in academia is like these days, mostly caused by corrupt italian mafia scum who come to the UK and shaft us in the arrsehole.

How any other student can corrupt your PhD?
I am preparing myself for PhD and it is rather lonely journey, so I do not really getting what do you mean.
We have a department in a university which has been overrun by italian scum. They are openly corrupt and favour italians. They take on italian phd students and ignore british ones. They also try and hire as many italians as they can.

These corrupt cunnts managed to kick out half the PhD class and there is now an investigation pending with the vice chancellor, because we complained. I am on a new PhD programme now, so even if these cunnts get sacked, I am not going back to a shithole that doesn't support its students.

Italians in general are scum, especially the ones from the south, avoid them like the plague.

That way. I got it. One of my classmates used to give not good advice to other students, which resulted in lower marks for those who listened.

I am still at the level of discussing my proposal with potential supervisors. And waiting for reply from one uni.
Have no clue who will be with me in the group, but as long as I get my preferred supervisor I am fine.
Original post by phdcandidate1
Hello everyone,

Thanks

Does your country offers any financial support for those who study abroad?

Depending on your field maybe you could contact some companies or ministry/politician office and ask for sponsorship. But that all depends from your subject.

Myself, I had a break in the study I went to work and just save money but it takes time.
If you do not get studentship, you could talk to the Uni and ask for deferral and then work hard, to save as much as possible. Other option is to ask if the uni would agree if the 'first year' you could do part time. Then you could work full time at the same time and save as much as possible for the remaining 2 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending