The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Optometry at Hertfordshire 2017

Anyone here looking to study Optometry at Hertfordshire, starting in 2017? I am considering the prospect but was wondering if anyone else here was or if any students already on the course have any tips or views on how they are finding the course?
Hey there, second year here. Pm me if you have any questions and I'd be more than happy to help!
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by liverpool786110
Hey there, second year here. Pm me if you have any questions and I'd be more than happy to help!

Hi! Glad to hear from a current student. Just had a few general questions really, as I'm still considering this course (excuse the list!):

What is the timetable like? Are there lots of 9ams/ late finishes at 7? Are you in 5 days a week in first year?

Is there a lot of support from lecturers or are you left to your own devices?

How are practice placements organised- do you get allocated a place or do you get to find a place yourself?

Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks in advance.
Original post by gooeybrownie22
Hi! Glad to hear from a current student. Just had a few general questions really, as I'm still considering this course (excuse the list!):

What is the timetable like? Are there lots of 9ams/ late finishes at 7? Are you in 5 days a week in first year?

Is there a lot of support from lecturers or are you left to your own devices?

How are practice placements organised- do you get allocated a place or do you get to find a place yourself?

Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks in advance.

First year timetable is not too intense at all. In my year we had Mondays always off, followed by lectures 3 days a week and one day where we only had a practical on clinical skills. On Thursdays in semester A, the latest we would finish was 6pm, which on the face of it looks daunting, but it seemed fair enough as the day used to start at 2pm.

Second semester did have quite a number of 9ams, at least 3 a week if memory serves me correctly.

The lecturers are busy people as you'd expect with any course, but I've always found them to be approachable and happy to help most of the time. There have always been ample opportunities to practice skills with compulsory and voluntary sessions at least once a week.

Placements are organised by the university on our behalf- all we had to do was submit areas close to us, and they would be allocated on a first come first serve basis.

Hope this helps!
Awesome-thanks @liverpool786110 ! That doesn't sound as bad as I thought, as I know Optometry is quite an intense degree. Have you had to purchase your own kit yet?
Original post by gooeybrownie22
Awesome-thanks @liverpool786110 ! That doesn't sound as bad as I thought, as I know Optometry is quite an intense degree. Have you had to purchase your own kit yet?

No problem! Yeah it's definitely not as intense as courses such as pharmacy, but that's not to say the content isn't difficult, which it most certainly is!

We had to purchase equipment at the start of this academic year. I would recommend that you spend a bit of time trying each brand out and seeing which ones comfortable for you. It's worth bearing in mind that the most expensive equipment isn't always the best- every person has their own preferences! The 2 main brands that people go for are from Keeler and Heine, who both provide their own student sets, complete with pretty much all you'll need for uni, pre-reg and beyond. These are often quite a considerable outlay initially, but worth it in the long run.
@liverpool786110 hi, what kind of questions do they ask at the interview and how do I prepare for it?Thanks
@liverpool786110 hi, what kind of questions do they ask at the interview and how do I prepare for it?
Thanks
Reply 8
Hi I’m looking at optometry for my daughter how did you decide on Herts v say Cardiff ?
Original post by Susk1
Hi I’m looking at optometry for my daughter how did you decide on Herts v say Cardiff ?

Hi @Susk1

I think one of the biggest differences between the courses are that the course here at Herts is a 4 years masters that integrates the pre-registration period, so once students graduate they will be a fully registered optometrist. I believe the BSc course at Cardiff requires students to undertake further training after graduation (anyone correct me if I'm wrong!).

The course is the first Optometry degree with incorporation and direct involvement from the College of Optometrists. It is under provisional approval from the GOC, meaning students are not guaranteed entry to the GOC register and may need to take additional assessments. This is a standard process for all institutions offering Optometry.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, please let me know :smile:

Thanks,
Heather

P.S We have lots of information for parents here that might be useful.
Reply 10
Thanks so much Heather. It sounds brilliant and thank you for the parent link
Original post by Susk1
Thanks so much Heather. It sounds brilliant and thank you for the parent link

No worries, glad I could help :smile:
Reply 12
Hello, I was wondering if you could give any tips on the interview at Hertfordshire? The university looks fantastic and I have an optometry interview there next month.Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending