The Student Room Group

How to get 100 UMS in c1/c2?

Does anybody know how to maximise your chances of getting 100 UMS in c1/c2?
I have done all the edexcel papers from 2005-2016, (including the IAL and R papers), all the solomon papers, the old P1-P3 papers, a few IYGB papers, a few zigzag papers, and a few IYGB papers (although I couldn't do the REALLY hard ones without looking at the mark scheme!)

It might seem a bit OTT, but I really want 100 UMS!
Any tips to avoid silly mistakes and maximize my chances?
Also, do you think it is NECESSARY to do the really hard (S and T) IYGB papers because I'm finding them so hard!
And how useful are the review exercises in the textbook?

Thank so much and best of luck everybody with their exams!x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got it. Do some STEP and AEA papers.
Original post by Jirga
I got it. Do some STEP and AEA papers.

Don't do this but just make sure you understand every topic in C1 and C2 because they're not that hard.
I have my C1 next week aswell and feeling relaxed :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TheYearNiner
Don't do this but just make sure you understand every topic in C1 and C2 because they're not that hard.

You haven't even done your paper, you're in no position to give advice.

Yeah that scared me I didn't think it was THAT hard!!!:tongue: Best of luck I'm sure we'll smash it!x:biggrin: I'm pretty chilled too!:wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jirga
You haven't even done your paper, you're in no position to give advice.

Thank you but I really appreciate both of your advice!:smile: But i thought STEP was REALLY hard...:s-smilie: When did you do your paper?:smile: Do you think it is necessary to do the review exercises?:smile: Do you have any tips to avoid stupid mistakes for 100 UMS?:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by sunshine774
Thank you but I really appreciate both of your advice!:smile: But i thought STEP was REALLY hard...:s-smilie: When did you do your paper?:smile: Do you think it is necessary to do the review exercises?:smile: Do you have any tips to avoid stupid mistakes for 100 UMS?:smile:

It's not necessary to get 100 at all, I just said what I did :tongue: I finished my paper quick and checked it multiple times
Taking the exam next week myself. Keep getting 95-97 cause of stupid mistakes. To be fair I kinda rush the past papers. Will make sure to spend more time on each question in the actual exam and go slowly. We do get 90 minutes.
Thanks I thought I'd done a bit too much lol!:tongue: Luckily I tend to have a very positive mindset when it comes to exams and I barely ever get stressed!:smile: Yeah, I have become very quick at doing c1 especially and can do a c2 paper in 40-50 minutes!:smile: I'm only doing AS maths as I'm in year 12 so my other subjects are reformed otherwise i would have definitely not spent so much time on maths!!!:tongue:
Original post by NotKidding
Taking the exam next week myself. Keep getting 95-97 cause of stupid mistakes. To be fair I kinda rush the past papers. Will make sure to spend more time on each question in the actual exam and go slowly. We do get 90 minutes.

True- when I'm at home I do rush and I never tend to check my paper but in the exam you're stuck in the exam hall so you have no choice but to check it!:tongue:
Reply 10
If you've done every past paper possible, I would suggest trying some of the C1 IYGB papers. What helped me when I did C1/C2 was that by the time I had done pretty much all of the past papers I was the point whereby I could do 2-3 papers in the allowed 1hr30 time limit meaning that I could relax and take the paper at my own pace, being careful to read and underline stuff to not make silly mistakes. Also when doing the past papers don't be afraid to look and confer with the mark scheme or websites like ExamSolutions to help if you're stuck on a question, there's no point in doing the paper and saying you got 90%, do the paper in your own time using these resources so that you get 100% every time - but make it clear on the stuff that you needed help with, I used to star the questions I needed help with so it indicated to me recurring things I needed to work on.

This is also obvious to most people, but please check your answers at the end and make sure you have answered and finished every question and understood that you've done the right thing. I managed to get 100% in C1 this way and the reason I'm so adamant about checking now, is that I was cocky when I did my C2 exam and left it until 1 minute to have a quick check over the paper and realised that I'd missed part c of a question! I got 96% for that paper and I'm still bitter that it could've been 100% if I just checked earlier :grumble:

But I wish you the best of luck anyway! :h:
Original post by sunshine774
x

I know it's a bit of a crappy answer, but just don't get any questions wrong. I got 100 UMS in C1 last year and like 86 (?) in C2 because I forgot the trapezium rule in the exam, so try not to do that. :tongue:

Aside from that, try to check your steps as you do them. Ask yourself why you're doing what you're doing, and if you can give yourself a good answer then you're on the right track.

I'm assuming you're aiming for the A* next year, so I wouldn't stress too much if you don't get 100 UMS because only your C3 and C4 count towards the A* next year.

Good luck.

How do u revise chem
Original post by KaylaB
If you've done every past paper possible, I would suggest trying some of the C1 IYGB papers. What helped me when I did C1/C2 was that by the time I had done pretty much all of the past papers I was the point whereby I could do 2-3 papers in the allowed 1hr30 time limit meaning that I could relax and take the paper at my own pace, being careful to read and underline stuff to not make silly mistakes. Also when doing the past papers don't be afraid to look and confer with the mark scheme or websites like ExamSolutions to help if you're stuck on a question, there's no point in doing the paper and saying you got 90%, do the paper in your own time using these resources so that you get 100% every time - but make it clear on the stuff that you needed help with, I used to star the questions I needed help with so it indicated to me recurring things I needed to work on.

This is also obvious to most people, but please check your answers at the end and make sure you have answered and finished every question and understood that you've done the right thing. I managed to get 100% in C1 this way and the reason I'm so adamant about checking now, is that I was cocky when I did my C2 exam and left it until 1 minute to have a quick check over the paper and realised that I'd missed part c of a question! I got 96% for that paper and I'm still bitter that it could've been 100% if I just checked earlier :grumble:

But I wish you the best of luck anyway! :h:

Wow well done you got very high UMS!x:biggrin: I have done the IYGB papers to paper E, do you think it is worth doing ALL of them?:smile: Thank you and VERY good advice!x:h:
When did you sit your AS maths exam?:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jasaron
I know it's a bit of a crappy answer, but just don't get any questions wrong. I got 100 UMS in C1 last year and like 86 (?) in C2 because I forgot the trapezium rule in the exam, so try not to do that. :tongue:

Aside from that, try to check your steps as you do them. Ask yourself why you're doing what you're doing, and if you can give yourself a good answer then you're on the right track.

I'm assuming you're aiming for the A* next year, so I wouldn't stress too much if you don't get 100 UMS because only your C3 and C4 count towards the A* next year.

Good luck.

Well 100 UMS is more of a personal goal (I have very high expectations of myself!:tongue:) and I would like apply to Cambridge so high UMS would definitely help!:smile: Yes I am aware about 90% in C3 and C4 thanks so much very good advice!x:h:
Don't just do past papers. Make sure you truly understand the key concepts of algebra and calculus.
Original post by graceanya1
How do u revise chem

I just make sure I know each topic very well but I don't do past papers as it's reformed.
Original post by ayyy2
Don't just do past papers. Make sure you truly understand the key concepts of algebra and calculus.

Thank you yes I do understand the concepts very well- I make sure I take a step back and realise WHY the method works!x:h:
Original post by graceanya1
How do u revise chem

If you do OCR A do the practice questions and the summary questions! If you have the CGP guide do the questions in that as well!x:h:
I got 100 ums in c2. Honestly you may have done your past papers a bit early because my core 1 didn't go that great (82) so I basically just did core 2 past papers about 1 or 2 a day leading up to the exam for about a week. You just have to get an eye for checking your work and making sure you haven't made silly errors/ understanding errors. Make sure you lay all your work out as clearly as possible to make checking process easy. Also use your calculator in core 2 as much as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest