The Student Room Group

Magic Circle salary increases

Hi all,

Given the recent salary boosts by the US firms, can you see the MC paying £100k+ to NQ lawyers?
I assume you are not talking about the Magic Circle; the UK organisation that looks after the rights of professional magicians? [ It's the only Magic Circle I have heard of].
Original post by markova21
I assume you are not talking about the Magic Circle; the UK organisation that looks after the rights of professional magicians? [ It's the only Magic Circle I have heard of].

It is a group of 5 elite law firms that a lot of graduates aspire to.
Original post by J-SP
If you count bonuses, they are around the mark already.

From a basic salary, probably not right now. If it did happen it would be around a 60% increase in less than 5 years. There have been significant jumps in the last 12 months, meaning it's less likely to happen again anytime soon.

However if firms save a load of money not having to put trainees through the LPC in the near future, that saving could be passed on to NQ level, especially if trainee salaries stagnate/drop which might happen with the SQE proposals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by they would not have to put them through the LPC in the near future?
Original post by J-SP
SQE proposals means the GDL and LPC won't exist after 2020.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?? And therefore graduates would go straight into training contracts?

That would be great, seeing that I'm going to graduate in 2021 or 2022 :smile:
Original post by J-SP
Not quite. The training contract itself might not even exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would be their plan?
I just went on to the SRA website and this was the first part I could find:

We propose that in order to be admitted as a solicitor, individuals would need to pass a new centralised exam, called the SQE. This would be divided into two parts. The first stage would test a candidate’s ability to use and apply legal knowledge and the second stage would test legal skills. In addition to passing the SQE, new solicitors would need to:

hold a degree, apprenticeship (or equivalent)

have undertaken a substantial period of workplace training (probably 24 months, certainly no less than 18 months

meet our character and suitability requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest