The Student Room Group

Worried about managing stress and getting into uni? Ask your questions here:

Poll

What do you like to do when taking a revision break?

Anna

Hi, my name is Anna. I'm a second year student studying English. As I'm coming to the end of my second year at university, I've had a lot of time to figure out how to balance revision and meet essay deadlines. I want to share my tips to help you perform as well as you can in your exams.

My top tips include creating a revision timetable, eating healthily and taking regular revision breaks.

Delroy

Hi, I'm Delroy, and I'm a Wellbeing Practitioner. I spend a lot of my time at work helping students to manage their wellbeing whilst studying.

As many of you will be preparing for your exams, I thought now would be a good time to share my top tips and help you make sure you're performing at your best.

My top tips:

[video="youtube;XkKyt7tqh8k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKyt7tqh8k[/video]

Start asking us your questions now and come back on Monday 15 May 3 - 6pm when we'll be here to talk to you and answer all your questions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey there, I'm in the middle of studying for my exams but I feel like non of my revision techniques are helping, is there anything you can suggest?
Original post by potoodle1
Hey there, I'm in the middle of studying for my exams but I feel like non of my revision techniques are helping, is there anything you can suggest?

Hey :smile:

What exams do you have coming up?
Different revision techniques tend to work for different people, what have you tried already?
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Anna

Hi, my name is Anna. I'm a second year student studying English. As I'm coming to the end of my second year at university, I've had a lot of time to figure out how to balance revision and meet essay deadlines. I want to share my tips to help you perform as well as you can in your exams.

My top tips include creating a revision timetable, eating healthily and taking regular revision breaks.

Delroy

Hi, I'm Delroy, and I'm a Wellbeing Practitioner. I spend a lot of my time at work helping students to manage their wellbeing whilst studying.

As many of you will be preparing for your exams, I thought now would be a good time to share my top tips and help you make sure you're performing at your best.

My top tips:

[video="youtube;XkKyt7tqh8k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKyt7tqh8k[/video]

Start asking us your questions now and come back on Monday 15 May 3 - 6pm when we'll be here to talk to you and answer all your questions.

@Kxslxyy

We're doing a Q&A on exam tips and revision techniques until 6pm tonight.
After our conversation Friday, I thought you might find this helpful! :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Anna

Delroy

My top tips:

I have a question for Delroy - Is there a tried and tested revision style that works for most people? If not, how can people find something that works for them?

And a question for Anna - as a current student, have you found a revision style that works well for you?

Hannah
(edited 6 years ago)
We have a question for Delroy - Is there a tried and tested revision style that works for most people? If not, how can people find something that works for them?

And a question for Anna - as a current student, have you found a revision style that works well for you?

Hannah

Hey,

As a current Student at Hallam, I have tried out many revision techniques and styles.
In terms of what works well for me, I usually begin with reading revision guides, condensing my notes, and then making cue cards of all the different topics. I find cue cards are really useful during busy study periods as they work to test yourself and your memory!
I also find making posters a really helpful tool! - you can use different coloured pens for different topics, stick them on your wall, and use them as your 'go-to' resource if you get stuck with your revision!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on what revision techniques work well during study periods? :smile:
I have a question for Delroy - Is there a tried and tested revision style that works for most people? If not, how can people find something that works for them?

Hannah

Dear Hannah,
Good question. There is not a tried and tested revision style that works for most people. People generally start by rereading their coursework/notes and trying to remember what has been written. One method that works for some students is to condense their notes. By that I mean reducing the amount of pages. So you rewrite your notes. The idea is to work on your subject and reduce your notes to one or two pages. The process of revisiting your notes helps to reinforce learning. That is one method for starters.
Original post by safjor1995
Dear Hannah,
Good question. There is not a tried and tested revision style that works for most people. People generally start by rereading their coursework/notes and trying to remember what has been written. One method that works for some students is to condense their notes. By that I mean reducing the amount of pages. So you rewrite your notes. The idea is to work on your subject and reduce your notes to one or two pages. The process of revisiting your notes helps to reinforce learning. That is one method for starters.

That's a great starting point @safjor1995

I remember getting frustrated when certain things didn't work for me - but then a friend told me I could condense my notes into a mind map and that was great! What can someone do if a revision style isn't working for them?
(edited 6 years ago)
That's a great starting point @safjor1995

I remember getting frustrated when certain things didn't work for me - but then a friend told me I could condense my notes into a mind map and that was great! What can someone do if a revision style isn't working for them?

The simple answer is to try something different and do so as early as possible. You can try another method and if necessary tweak it to suit you. Hope that helps.
Original post by safjor1995
The simple answer is to try something different and do so as early as possible. You can try another method and if necessary tweak it to suit you. Hope that helps.

Just to back up with this point, the key is to try out lots of different techniques at the beginning of your studies and you will soon notice what works best for you! :smile:
Original post by annablagg
Just to back up with this point, the key is to try out lots of different techniques at the beginning of your studies and you will soon notice what works best for you! :smile:

Yes, that is the key. Try loads of different ways of revising. You will find something that will works for you and, who knows, you might develop a method that is unique. Go for it.
Don't worry if you've missed us and would still like some advice from Delroy and Anna. We'll keep an eye on this thread answer your questions over the coming weeks. Best of luck in your exams! :biggrin:
Original post by annablagg

What exams do you have coming up?
Different revision techniques tend to work for different people, what have you tried already?

thanks for the reply :smile: I'm doing Business, English lit, and History. The revision I've tried is making notes and flash cards but these haven't really helped
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by potoodle1
thanks for the reply :smile: I'm doing Business, English lit, and History. The revision I've tried is making notes and flash cards but these haven't really helped

Hey,
Okay those sound interesting! What dates do you have the exams on?
As we said yesterday, note making and condensing notes is a good start but it sounds like you’ve already tried this!
I find making posters works well for me whilst i’m studying, as they can include all the key ideas of a topic, and are really easy to read and understand.
I’d also suggest trying out mind maps - you’d be able to start with one central topic, and then branch out to add several other ideas!
Finally, once you feel confident with the topics, I’d advise you to try out some past papers. You’ll be able to familiarize yourself with previous questions, and they will also help with getting you used to working under time constraints.

I hope this helps and good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest