The Student Room Group

Applying to AAA unis with AAB predictions? (Chemical Engineering)

Hello TSR!

I'm currently in year 12 and studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry in school. I'm likely to be predicted AAB with a B in physics and would like to apply to universities such as Manchester and Birmingham for Chemical Engineering.

Aside from these 3, I also have an A level in Chinese, which I will be taking the A2 exam for this summer and I am expecting to get an A or a B.

With AAB predictions, and an obtained A or B grade in Chinese, do you think it is a good idea to for me to apply for Manchester (AAA) or Birmingham (A*AA/AAAA) with a reasonable chance of getting an offer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
I can't speak on behalf of your course but I applied to Leeds who require AAA with AAB predictions and I got an offer, so I'd definitely say it's possible!

My sixth form advised picking 1 uni with higher requirements (eg. AAA) 2 with your predictions (AAB) and 2 with lower (ABB or below) There's definitely no harm in trying :3
Original post by itsokamix
I can't speak on behalf of your course but I applied to Leeds who require AAA with AAB predictions and I got an offer, so I'd definitely say it's possible!

My sixth form advised picking 1 uni with higher requirements (eg. AAA) 2 with your predictions (AAB) and 2 with lower (ABB or below) There's definitely no harm in trying :3

Congrats! I thought Leeds was A*AA?
Original post by llamalover57
Congrats! I thought Leeds was A*AA?

Possibly for some courses! I'm doing psychology though
Possibly for some courses! I'm doing psychology though

Ahh I just assumed you were doing chemical engineering
Reply 5
Hello TSR!

I'm currently in year 12 and studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry in school. I'm likely to be predicted AAB with a B in physics and would like to apply to universities such as Manchester and Birmingham for Chemical Engineering.

Aside from these 3, I also have an A level in Chinese, which I will be taking the A2 exam for this summer and I am expecting to get an A or a B.

With AAB predictions, and an obtained A or B grade in Chinese, do you think it is a good idea to for me to apply for Manchester (AAA) or Birmingham (A*AA/AAAA) with a reasonable chance of getting an offer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

You will likely be fine.

You can check the likelihood of getting an offer with specific grades using the UCAS Offer Calculator

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

But it's a good idea to have a spread of choices some below, some at and some above your predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
You will likely be fine.

You can check the likelihood of getting an offer with specific grades using the UCAS Offer Calculator

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

But it's a good idea to have a spread of choices some below, some at and some above your predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've tried that out, but the issue is that it's got the option 'chemistry or chemical engineering' and chemistry has a lower entry requirements, thanks anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah I've tried that out, but the issue is that it's got the option 'chemistry or chemical engineering' and chemistry has a lower entry requirements, thanks anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's >90% even if you select Engineering (also typically AAA)

Attachment not found
Original post by Doonesbury
Well it's >90% even if you select Engineering (also typically AAA)

Attachment not found

I really hope >90% would be the case, though it's generally AAB for engineering at birmingham and manchester
bump
Reply 10
bump

No need to bump. You have an answer :wink:

If you want a more definitive answer you will need to ask the university. They are best placed to give you a more considered answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applied with what would be the equivalent of ABC to AAB CivEng courses and I still got offers from all but one
Original post by KardasDragon
Applied with what would be the equivalent of ABC to AAB CivEng courses and I still got offers from all but one

Niceeee. When and where did you apply?
Niceeee. When and where did you apply?

Glasgow, Qub, Cardiff, Strathclyde. Last year

Edinburgh didn't give me offer but I expected that.
Reply 14

did you get an offer for AAB or AAA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending