The Student Room Group

Rossetti and Wilde

How to make links between the two for exams?
Original post by Janet0927
How to make links between the two for exams?

Why do you need to make links? Is it a comparative question?
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Why do you need to make links? Is it a comparative question?

It could be a question like:

‘People will do anything, no matter how foolish, to get what they want.’ How far and in what ways do you agree? Refer to the play and poems that you have studied.

But because my English teacher is the worst going we haven't been properly taught the themes of the play, 'An Ideal Husband' and the Rossetti poems and how they link. I'm only aware of the links in terms of context (Victorian era/pre-raphaelite brotherhood/aesthetic movement)
It could be a question like:

‘People will do anything, no matter how foolish, to get what they want.’ How far and in what ways do you agree? Refer to the play and poems that you have studied.

But because my English teacher is the worst going we haven't been properly taught the themes of the play, 'An Ideal Husband' and the Rossetti poems and how they link. I'm only aware of the links in terms of context (Victorian era/pre-raphaelite brotherhood/aesthetic movement)

You need to reread Wilde's play and look at some of Rossetti's poems that you've read and look at themes in both.

Look at the social context of Wilde's play. He used his plays to poke fun at aristocracy and the hypocrisy around that. Foolish could have two meanings; either silly, idiotic or foolish in terms of inappropriate or unwise. So you have to write an essay on how far the statement seems true and whether you agree with it.
Reply 4
I have made some links, however it's hard to compare the themes of Rossetti's poems to that of Wilde's play because we haven't been told the themes of 'An Ideal Husband' in depth.
I have made some links, however it's hard to compare the themes of Rossetti's poems to that of Wilde's play because we haven't been told the themes of 'An Ideal Husband' in depth.

Can you not work out the themes for yourself?

They might major on hypocrisy and judgement of others (including the forgiveness of past transgressions, hypocrisy over ruining lives because of minor transgressions), and women's place in society and the family.

I am not really familiar with Rosetti's poems but I'm pretty sure they will include idealised views of women, so there is a link there, and aesthetics which is on the opposite side of the coin to materialism and hypocrisy, isn't it?
Reply 6
Original post by Good bloke
Can you not work out the themes for yourself?

They might major on hypocrisy and judgement of others (including the forgiveness of past transgressions, hypocrisy over ruining lives because of minor transgressions), and women's place in society and the family.

I am not really familiar with Rosetti's poems but I'm pretty sure they will include idealised views of women, so there is a link there, and aesthetics which is on the opposite side of the coin to materialism and hypocrisy, isn't it?

dunno but thanks
I'm actually doing the same essay with the same texts and I'm really struggling getting the intro done. Can anyone help on the introduction??? EMERGENCY

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending