The Student Room Group

Geography GCSE help!!

How do you revise for the Sustainable Decision Making Exercise (SDME) for OCR geography?! I don't know where to start
First you need to know what theme your doing e.g Natural Hazards, Economic development etc.

Then you have to study it and read the options given to you and write down the advantages and disadvantages of your option.

You should practice with past papers because they help give you an overview of the paper and how it is going to be like.

For example am doing population and settlement so I need to know what happens and why and how it is sustainable. So I could say option 1 is a better option because it's located in the CBD, which attracts a lot of customers, increasing the wealth in the area. I have to give 3 advantages for my chosen option.

Then I have to give 2 disadvantages for my option, for example it can decrease business in the area for other local shops shutting their business down. 2 points only.

Then I have to give a disadvantage for option 2 and why I rejected it. For example it was in an isolated area so therefore it wouldn't attract many customers. 2 points only.

Then explain why option 1 is sustainable, for example it's sustainable because it creates employment in the area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheAlchemistress
First you need to know what theme your doing e.g Natural Hazards, Economic development etc.

Then you have to study it and read the options given to you and write down the advantages and disadvantages of your option.

You should practice with past papers because they help give you an overview of the paper and how it is going to be like.

For example am doing population and settlement so I need to know what happens and why and how it is sustainable. So I could say option 1 is a better option because it's located in the CBD, which attracts a lot of customers, increasing the wealth in the area. I have to give 3 advantages for my chosen option.

Then I have to give 2 disadvantages for my option, for example it can decrease business in the area for other local shops shutting their business down. 2 points only.

Then I have to give a disadvantage for option 2 and why I rejected it. For example it was in an isolated area so therefore it wouldn't attract many customers. 2 points only.

Then explain why option 1 is sustainable, for example it's sustainable because it creates employment in the area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you guys do coasts too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Do you guys do coasts too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but as a key theme paper.
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am doing Population and settlement too! That makes sense but I am worried that the topic will be something like migration or something I know nothing about!
Original post by JEG666
I am doing Population and settlement too! That makes sense but I am worried that the topic will be something like migration or something I know nothing about!

Well if it's migration you could say it creates diversity and there are more people working in the the country from different backgrounds. If you have the CPG book OCR then it helps because it gives you the advantage and disadvantage.
Reply 6
Well if it's migration you could say it creates diversity and there are more people working in the the country from different backgrounds. If you have the CPG book OCR then it helps because it gives you the advantage and disadvantage.

Okay, thanks! I will use my revision guide to just prepare for the different questions they might ask! Good luck to everyone!
Original post by JEG666
Okay, thanks! I will use my revision guide to just prepare for the different questions they might ask! Good luck to everyone!

It's okay, good luck 👍
Reply 8
Yes, but as a key theme paper.

How do you revise for coasts ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
How do you revise for coasts ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just revise from the revision guide CPG and I have a case study booklet giving an overview of the points.
Reply 10
I just revise from the revision guide CPG and I have a case study booklet giving an overview of the points.

The processes are so hard to memorise :frown:

LSD
Wave cut notch
Stack stump arch cave ..etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
The processes are so hard to memorise :frown:

LSD
Wave cut notch
Stack stump arch cave ..etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can help you. A wave cut notch is formed when there is an undercut in a cliff, the high waves reach the cliff and hydraulic action deepens the wave cut notch, eroding it further. As this continues to happens the cliff becomes and unstable a and collapse. The process repeats until the cliff retreats further away.
Reply 12
I can help you. A wave cut notch is formed when there is an undercut in a cliff, the high waves reach the cliff and hydraulic action deepens the wave cut notch, eroding it further. As this continues to happens the cliff becomes and unstable a and collapse. The process repeats until the cliff retreats further away.

Thank you so much. Is it okay if I can PM you tomorrow about coasts? X

I don't know where to start like how to start revising. This unit is terrible. I feel like there's so many processes to remember. Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by JEG666
How do you revise for the Sustainable Decision Making Exercise (SDME) for OCR geography?! I don't know where to start

Go through the spec making sure you've understood each 'Key Idea'
Just so you know the bullet points on the 16 mark SDME question do change from time to time so it's not always just advantages and disadvantages of your chosen option, then why you didn't pick the others. Good luck!
Original post by z_o_e
Thank you so much. Is it okay if I can PM you tomorrow about coasts? X

I don't know where to start like how to start revising. This unit is terrible. I feel like there's so many processes to remember. Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending