The Student Room Group

Some Past Papers for the CIE IGCSE History Paper 2 Treaty of Versailles

For all doing the Treaty of Versailles Topic tomorrow, I have found some past papers which test this topic.
They tend to repeat the sources used, so I would suggest looking over some Treaty of Versailles cartoons/sources and try and analyse provenance, reliability tone etc. because there is a good chance they will come up
tomorrow. Try also looking at a few examiner's reports.
The past papers I am uploading are from 2005, 2011 and 2013. I have also included the mark schemes.
I would suggest looking over them, and possible doing one or two tonight to try and improve exam technique.
Good luck for tomorrow!

Scroll to see replies

Some key dates for this topic
11/11/1918: Armistice
18/01/1919: Paris Peace Treaty opens
14/02/1919: First Draft of League of Nations Covenant
28/04/1919: First Draft of League of Nations Covenant approved
07/05/1919: Final Version of Treaty of Versailles given to German Representatives.
28/06/1919: Treaty of Versailles signed
03/09/1919: Wilson goes on tour around USA promoting American membership of the League of Nations
10/09/1919: Treaty of St Germain signed (Austria)
19/11/1919: Congress rejects US membership of the League of Nations for the first time
27/11/1919: Treaty of Neuilly signed (Bulgaria)
19/03/1920: Congress rejects US membership of the League of Nations for the second time
16/01/1920: Formal inauguration of the League of Nations.
10/08/1920: Treaty of Sèvres signed (Turkey)
The Other Treaties in the Paris Peace Conference

St Germain (Austria)
An army of only 30, 000 volunteers allowed
No navy allowed
Reparations to be payed (but amount not set)
Dismantling of the Austro-Hungarian Empire
Tyrol lost to Italy
Austria must recognise the independence of Hungary/Poland/Yugoslavia/Czechoslovakia
Anschluss/Union with Germany forbidden

Neuilly (Bulgaria)
Army of 20,000 volunteers
4 Torpedos
No Air Force
Reparations of £100 million to be payed
Land in Western Bulgaria to Yugoslavia
Land also goes to Romania and Greece

Trianon (Hungary)
Army of 35,000 volunteers
3 Patrol boats
Accept break-up of Austro-Hungarian Empire
Land redistributed to Poland, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia
No access to Mediterranean Sea
Hungary to pay 200 million gold crowns in reparations

Sèvres (Turkey)
Army of 50,000 soldiers
7 sailboats
3 torpedo boats
Smyrna & East Thrace to Greece
Rhodes to Italy
Iraq and Palestine become British mandates
Syria becomes a French mandate
If anyone has any questions, just post them here. There's not a lot of time left until the exam!
Reply 5
Hey guys,

Do you think they will have questions on the other treaties? They are slightly irrelevant but you never know
Reply 6
i haven't started revision but i can memorise quickly and im aiming for a C can you advise me how many marks i need and i believe i did alright on my paper 1 not too good honestly as it was my fault leaving it to last minute even today!!!
Reply 7
Original post by Karim_B
Hey guys,

Do you think they will have questions on the other treaties? They are slightly irrelevant but you never know

i believe they could be some questions linking to the league of nations as its one of the treaty of versailles
Original post by Raman31
i haven't started revision but i can memorise quickly and im aiming for a C can you advise me how many marks i need and i believe i did alright on my paper 1 not too good honestly as it was my fault leaving it to last minute even today!!!

For a C, you would need about 20-25/50, but why do you want a C? It is possible to get an A* with about 35-40/50...
Also, I have heard that this is the easiest paper to get good marks out of Papers 1, 2 and 4, so I would aim for full marks. Look at the mark scheme before and after doing past papers to see what you have to do. You still have a couple of hours to improve your grade!
Reply 10
Hi How do you do 'prove wrong' questions?I don't even know what they asking for and what you have to do to get top marks. The mark scheme is pretty useless Thanks
Original post by Alex99FR
Hi How do you do 'prove wrong' questions?I don't even know what they asking for and what you have to do to get top marks. The mark scheme is pretty useless Thanks

What do you mean by 'prove wrong' questions?
Reply 12
Original post by JMR2017
What do you mean by 'prove wrong' questions?

E.g. Does Source D prove Source C wrong?

Oh right! For those kinds of questions you have to COMPARE the sources. Compare their messages as well as provenance of the source (i.e who wrote it, why it was written)
You have to start by saying Source X proves Source Y wrong because....(Answer the question directly for almost all the questions)
Then move onto your analysis and comparisons
Which paper is this question from by the way?
For more guidance on exam technique watch these videos.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnwwCNGsWv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LJtt_ZH5Qo

I think usually for these kinds of questions, Source X does not mean Source Y is wrong, and it is usually because of the different people who wrote the source and the different contexts in which they were written. The two people who wrote the sources may have different viewpoints.
Reply 15
Original post by JMR2017
For a C, you would need about 20-25/50, but why do you want a C? It is possible to get an A* with about 35-40/50...

really? lol i didnt look deeply into the grade boundaries but thanks
Thank you all for this, this thread is literally a life saver. Hope you all do awesome today :smile:
Hi guys, just one question here... will I be marked down for not stating my option ? Cuz there are two options to be chosen from A (19th) and b(20th) I did all 6 of the B questions but I did not state Option B.... I'm really worried that I'll be marked down !!
Reply 18
Was Germany to be blamed for the first world war.?What are reparations?
How far do you agree with the view that the peace settlements of 1919–20 left the important issues facing Europe unresolved? Explain your answer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending