The Student Room Group

what are the advantages and disadvantages of driving a car?

Is it worth having a car today?

Better wait for electric cars?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by josejuan

Is it worth having a car today?

Better wait for electric cars?

It's easy to go any where in the UK - Pro
It's fairly pointless if you have a decent train link - Con
Freedom - Pro
Freedom comes at a massive cost - Con
Often cheaper to drive - Pro
Parking in city centres can be pricier than just getting the train
If you live in the middle of no where, with **** public transport, then that's a massive PRO!

Driving can be fun - Pro
Waiting in traffic definitely isn't - Con

Driving means you're not squashed and you can just listen to your music - Pro
Trains are sometimes quicker, easier, about the same price and you can... nap - Con

Electric cars are also just emerging atm and the cars that charge up to 80% in 15 minutes haven't been launched yet. There is also a great deal of innovation happening atm. I myself drive a hybrid. Currently a car seems pointless for me, as I now work pretty much in the city centre
(edited 6 years ago)
Disadvantages: It costs money

Advantages: I can get places.

My car cost £200, insurance £350, tax £150, and about £10-15 fuel a week. So less than £1400 a year. That can't be achieved with an electric car.
Reply 3
I guess it depends where you live, in a big city it can just be a pain, but if you live in a more rural area with less public transport then it's a must.

Personally I looked on getting a car as freedom for the chance it gives me to go somewhere when I want.

Electric cars are improving, but I travel long distances regularly so not practical for me and I also need to tow, so have a large vehicle that would no doubt be deemed inappropriate these days for its emissions and engine size.
Original post by BigYoSpeck

My car cost £200, insurance £350, tax £150, and about £10-15 fuel a week. So less than £1400 a year. That can't be achieved with an electric car.

It really can. Your car is just...old is all. It also seems like you're doing 100 miles/week. That can definitely be achieved with an electric car
Original post by The_Internet
It really can. Your car is just...old is all. It also seems like you're doing 100 miles/week. That can definitely be achieved with an electric car

For £1400 a year?
For £1400 a year?

The cheapest electric car is around £600. You're using a false comparison any way. Your £200 car is very old. Otherwise... yes. An electric car costs around 1/3 to run than an ICE car, and has lower maintenance costs due to a lack of moving parts
The cheapest electric car is around £600. You're using a false comparison any way. Your £200 car is very old. Otherwise... yes. An electric car costs around 1/3 to run than an ICE car, and has lower maintenance costs due to a lack of moving parts

I'm using an exact comparison of what it costs me to run a car, it's not false or hypothetical, it's the real world.

I'm not saying my scenario covers everyone, but it's the cheapest it's possible to run a car. And you can't run an electric car that cheaply.
I'm using an exact comparison of what it costs me to run a car, it's not false or hypothetical, it's the real world.

I'm not saying my scenario covers everyone, but it's the cheapest it's possible to run a car. And you can't run an electric car that cheaply.

Yes... You can. Electricity is about three times cheaper than fossil fuels. The cost of your car is irrelevant unless you replace ot every year

My hybrid would be cheaper to run in your area too, than your car. £10 tax, FYI
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes... You can. Electricity is about three times cheaper than fossil fuels

Show me an electric car that will give me a total running cost of £1400 a year and I'll go and buy it today.

Total running cost so car, insurance, tax, maintenance and fuel.
Show me an electric car that will give me a total running cost of £1400 a year and I'll go and buy it today.

Total running cost so car, insurance, tax, maintenance and fuel.

You're talking about the running costs and not the cost of the car itself. The car always keeps eos value. My car is cheaper to run than yours. Sure, if cost a lot more but it's cheaper to run than yours. Most ICE cars are cheaper to run than your car too.

A better comparison is to compare a modern ICE car to an electric.
Obviously, advantages being convenience, comfort, and getting to your destination faster.

Disadvantages would be cost and pollution
You're talking about the running costs and not the cost of the car itself. The car always keeps eos value. My car is cheaper to run than yours. Sure, if cost a lot more but it's cheaper to run than yours. Most ICE cars are cheaper to run than your car too.

A better comparison is to compare a modern ICE car to an electric.

No, I'm talking about my total cost of ownership to run a car. Buying it, insuring it, taxing it and fueling it.

I understand an electric car is cheaper to fuel per mile, but no total cost of ownership is cheaper than what I have for my annual mileage. So I don't need a better comparison, I'm really running a car for less than £1400 a year. There isn't an electric car option that cheap.

You haven't factored in maintenance and repair costs which are not only going to be inevitable with a car that cost you 200 quid, but also likely aren't going to be cheap.
Original post by WoodyMKC
You haven't factored in maintenance and repair costs which are not only going to be inevitable with a car that cost you 200 quid, but also likely aren't going to be cheap.

There is no maintenance cost because if it doesn't pass its MOT I buy another £200 car.

Bangornomics isn't for everyone, but for the last 10 years, my purchase costs have averaged £250 per year once I also factor in the money I've gotten back scrapping the cars after I'm done.
There is no maintenance cost because if it doesn't pass its MOT I buy another £200 car.

Bangornomics isn't for everyone, but for the last 10 years, my purchase costs have averaged £250 per year once I also factor in the money I've gotten back scrapping the cars after I'm done.

Well, if you're going full banger, then yeah, doesn't get much cheaper than that! Not something most people do though because they need reliability. My lease contract costs me just over 2k a year with everything included (tax, insurance, repairs & servicing and premium breakdown cover), probably around 2.5k if petrol costs are added to that. So that's 1k extra, but I'm driving around in a brand new Fiesta Titanium that I won't have to fork out another penny for should anything go wrong, though it's hardly likely to be faulty given its age. Worth that much per year just for the peace of mind tbh, I have enough going on in my life to not want to be stressing over my car as well. Plus, as I said, barring going bangernomic, a lot of people buy cheap cars thinking they're getting a good deal and then spend hundreds or even thousands per year on repairs, making it a false economy. If you don't mind all the f***ing about then you've got the right idea really, my dad had the same philosophy :biggrin:
No, I'm talking about my total cost of ownership to run a car. Buying it, insuring it, taxing it and fueling it.

I understand an electric car is cheaper to fuel per mile, but no total cost of ownership is cheaper than what I have for my annual mileage. So I don't need a better comparison, I'm really running a car for less than £1400 a year. There isn't an electric car option that cheap.

That's only because electric cars aren't... old enough. You're not comparing like for like. Besides, maintenance costs are a lot lower for electric cars. Maybe not for you if you'd scrap your car if it needed fixing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by WoodyMKC
Well, if you're going full banger, then yeah, doesn't get much cheaper than that! Not something most people do though because they need reliability. My lease contract costs me just over 2k a year with everything included (tax, insurance, repairs & servicing and premium breakdown cover), probably around 2.5k if petrol costs are added to that. So that's 1k extra, but I'm driving around in a brand new Fiesta Titanium that I won't have to fork out another penny for should anything go wrong, though it's hardly likely to be faulty given its age. Worth that much per year just for the peace of mind tbh, I have enough going on in my life to not want to be stressing over my car as well. Plus, as I said, barring going bangernomic, a lot of people buy cheap cars thinking they're getting a good deal and then spend hundreds or even thousands per year on repairs, making it a false economy. If you don't mind all the f***ing about then you've got the right idea really, my dad had the same philosophy :biggrin:

I'd imagine you also had a deposit to pay for that as well though?

I'll be honest I've been tempted many times by leasing deals such as the one you're on. Time and hassle have a value that should be attributed to them and I've done well choosing cars that have been reliable. I also wouldn't go for bangers if I had kids to think about.

The trick with bangers is to just always buy a Nissan.
That's only because electric cars aren't... old enough. You're not comparing like for like. Besides, maintenance costs are a lot lower for electric cars. Maybe not for you if you'd scrap your car if it needed fixing.

But I've never claimed to be comparing like for like. I just said it's the cheapest a car can be run for.

And electric cars when they are old enough will have absolutely shagged batteries, they won't present the same economic choice for the used car buyer in the future.
Can go to kfc when it's lunchtime ygm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending