The Student Room Group

Which instrument is the most difficult to learn?

I used play the piano when I was younger but quit at a beginner level so it doesn't really count. I am thinking of trying again but also like the violin (though I've never played it). But I don't really know which one to chose.

What do you people think is the hardest instrument to learn/play?
(edited 6 years ago)
Out of piano and violin?

Probably violin imo. I've been playing piano for a couple of years and I've played the violin a couple of months. It's easy to get started with the piano and produce a tune. It takes a lot of initial practice to produce a sound on the violin that doesn't make you want to rip your ears out.
Reply 2
Original post by NeverLucky
Out of piano and violin?

Probably violin imo. I've been playing piano for a couple of years and I've played the violin a couple of months. It's easy to get started with the piano and produce a tune. It takes a lot of initial practice to produce a sound on the violin that doesn't make you want to rip your ears out.

Agreed, ditto the trumpet.

The question is very vague. An instrument being easier to get to a professional level with is more about supply and demand than anything else. If every instrument was asked to play the same notes then some (piano, guitar, harp) would be much easier than others (violin, trumpet). To be considered a good bassist would require far less "busy" playing than to be considered a good piano player.

But the hardest in terms of getting to a reasonable level with are the ones that sound awful until you know what you are doing, like trumpet, violin.

Everyone can play something nice sounding in C major on piano :wink:
I play a little bit of piano, guitar, trumpet and sax, I sing relatively seriously, and I've been playing the violin seriously for a little over a year. Violin has been a masterclass in patience. Getting it to produce a tune isn't hard, and It's hard to make it "screech" contrary to people's assumptions (at least, as someone over the age of 8).

Playing with lovely tone, 100% in tune, whilst observing dynamics etc is ridiculously difficult though. Co-ordinating two hands on the piano is a breeze after learning to co-ordinate fingerboard and bow arms... :eek:

It is a gorgeous instrument though, and well worth the tears imo
(edited 6 years ago)
Probably one of the string instruments. Violin I imagine looks pretty difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by SunTiger
I used play the piano when I was younger but quit at a beginner level so it doesn't really count. I am thinking of trying again but also like the violin (though I've never played it). But I don't really know which one to chose.

What do you people think is the hardest instrument to learn/play?

Hmmmm the hardest instrument hey?
Ummm I would say a female (they are so difficult :P)...ooo or the instrument I left in my pants:ahee:
Reply 6
As said before, anything that takes a long time to get a good sound out of can be considered hard, such as a violin or a trumpet. Also, string instruments are hard to get started on simply because there is quite a lot going on at once which needs to be built up before the instrument can be played properly.

Instruments that are considered hard all the way through include anything with a double reed (oboe/bassoon) and the french horn. But really, it all depends on the individual.

Just a note, if you're going to play the violin, it will sound horrible for a long time. So out of violin and piano, violin is probably harder to start learning and can be quite demoralising, whilst piano is much easier to get a good sound out of.
Reply 7
Sheng.
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I will stick to the piano since I got some basic knowledge which is a decent start. The violin can sound brilliant, but only once your good at it I guess. :smile:
Original post by SunTiger
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I will stick to the piano since I got some basic knowledge which is a decent start. The violin can sound brilliant, but only once your good at it I guess. :smile:

You'll probably progress much faster with piano, so you can always learn other instruments later. You might have more patience for the steep learning curve of violin if you've got another instrument you can express yourself with in the meantime. Plus, then you'll have a better understanding of the theory which always helps :smile:
I reckon the Organ deserves some love: All limbs moving at once, several keyboards, and a whole load of stops to get the best sound possible
Original post by offhegoes

But the hardest in terms of getting to a reasonable level with are the ones that sound awful until you know what you are doing, like trumpet, violin.

For me, that would be the ukulele then. Been playing for about 4.5 years and can still make it sound awful. :redface: (that's what my wonderful friend said, anyway :tongue: )
Reply 12
Original post by Raiden492
I reckon the Organ deserves some love: All limbs moving at once, several keyboards, and a whole load of stops to get the best sound possible

Triangle gets my vote
Original post by GUMI
Triangle gets my vote

I genuinely hope you're being serious. Most people do not realise how much more focus is involved with triangle playing than simply going 'ting'
Out of piano and violin, I'd say violin. I've tried to play one before and couldn't get a nice clean note out of it. In general I'd say maybe something like trumpet or sax, based on how difficult I've found it to get just a note out of them. I just couldn't get my embouchure and breathing right for saxophone.
Speaking from experience, piano is a relatively easy instrument to learn and play. Many people play this as their first instrument before learning any other instrument. I've played piano for a little over 2 years before learning to play the oboe (which I've played for 5 years now). Oboe is definitely a hard instrument to learn, and, in my opinion, only sounds nice when played well.
theremin
French horn
every string instrument is hard really. I play the violin and its HARSH when you are just beginning, but I got a hang of it I would say some long-distance time after that. I believe the piano is easier for a few reasons: First, you just press the keys, but in violin, you need to control pitch AND bow. Secondly, techniques are wayyy easier. Legato what? Try doing Paganini's left-hand pizz. But if you practise, I believe you can master any of them. :biggrin:
Original post by Raiden492

Haha. I saw a meme once on reddit (i sound like a boomer). It was something along the lines of an organist (is that a word?) being given sheets to play. Then, the bottom said what about the feet?

Quick Reply

Latest