The Student Room Group

english lit xmas carol analysis

hi, I'm struggling to find really good in depth analysis of any xmas carol quotes, eventhough ive got like 3 revision guides just for find xmas carol, I'm only good at the context but the language analysis of mine is very basic, i cant find any word to word grade 9 ambitious analysis that i can normally find for the other texts. if anyone could please pm me some quote analysis, i would be happy in return to send you my context notes on xmas carol or Macbeth analysis
Sample paragraph from my teacher - I don't know if this is what you mean:
Scrooge's existence on the edges of society is presented as a pitiable aspect of his character. Our greatest sense of pity is created in the line "A solitary child, neglected by his friends, is left there still." The lexical field of "solitary" links back to the elderly Scrooge being described with the simile "solitary as an oyster". This simile highlights Scrooge's distancing from society, locked in a shell and surrounded by a sea of misery. Scrooge's "neglect" by his "friends" could explain his later solitary life, and goes some way to explain his exclusion from society. Dickens wanted his audience to remember the fragility and vulnerability of a child, and, by using this imagery, Dickens has humanised the inhumanly cold Scrooge. What Scrooge suffered as a child is a reflection of the suffering of children at the time: loneliness, abandonment, and neglect. That we now pity Scrooge allows for the opportunity for Dickens' Victorian audience to recognise aspects of Scrooge within themselves, and forgive themselves on the path to redemption. Once Scrooge finally learns how pitiful he is, stating his "life tends that way, now", he learns to pity others.

I would appreciate some Macbeth analysis please.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CCauston113
Sample paragraph from my teacher - I don't know if this is what you mean:
Scrooge's existence on the edges of society is presented as a pitiable aspect of his character. Our greatest sense of pity is created in the line "A solitary child, neglected by his friends, is left there still." The lexical field of "solitary" links back to the elderly Scrooge being described with the simile "solitary as an oyster". This simile highlights Scrooge's distancing from society, locked in a shell and surrounded by a sea of misery. Scrooge's "neglect" by his "friends" could explain his later solitary life, and goes some way to explain his exclusion from society. Dickens wanted his audience to remember the fragility and vulnerability of a child, and, by using this imagery, Dickens has humanised the inhumanly cold Scrooge. What Scrooge suffered as a child is a reflection of the suffering of children at the time: loneliness, abandonment, and neglect. That we now pity Scrooge allows for the opportunity for Dickens' Victorian audience to recognise aspects of Scrooge within themselves, and forgive themselves on the path to redemption. Once Scrooge finally learns how pitiful he is, stating his "life tends that way, now", he learns to pity others.

I would appreciate some Macbeth analysis please.

yeah thank you, its really good. i just need more lol but i will pm you notes on macbeth, but tell me what in particular
Original post by usernamenew
yeah thank you, its really good. i just need more lol but i will pm you notes on macbeth, but tell me what in particular

Supernatural or appearance Vs reality please
Reply 4
Original post by CCauston113
Supernatural or appearance Vs reality please

omg i just read this im so sorry
during the elizabethian period, shakespeare emphasised the supernatural theme because it was essential - it was a common belief that witches had supernatural power- ability to cause havoc and storms and therefore shakespeare uses them to show how supernatural evil is always lurking throughout the play- you could talk about macbeth saying his mind was full of "scorpions"and also the quote "brain sickly" link it to the theme of supernatural and also the idea of unatural events taking place, due to the consequence of macbeths act. if you want more i can pm you tomorrow
appearance vs reality is central to the play, the idea of good and bad too, how people try to conceal themselves, but always get revealed, how they want to maintain an innocent look but are deceitful "look like an innocent flower..." the idea of deception and not everything appearing as what it is supposed to.
you can easily use these points in your essay, if you want more just tell me!
during the elizabethian period, shakespeare emphasised the supernatural theme because it was essential - it was a common belief that witches had supernatural power- ability to cause havoc and storms and therefore shakespeare uses them to show how supernatural evil is always lurking throughout the play- you could talk about macbeth saying his mind was full of "scorpions"and also the quote "brain sickly" link it to the theme of supernatural and also the idea of unatural events taking place, due to the consequence of macbeths act. if you want more i can pm you tomorrow
appearance vs reality is central to the play, the idea of good and bad too, how people try to conceal themselves, but always get revealed, how they want to maintain an innocent look but are deceitful "look like an innocent flower..." the idea of deception and not everything appearing as what it is supposed to.

Thanks
What technique do u use

Could you please give me more?
???????????

Quick Reply

Latest